webasto, Eberspächer, water heaters, which one to get?

thebigblue

Adventurer
I'm looking into fitting a water heater in my Mercedes L608D.

Got a very confused, as it seems the normal Webasto water heaters (Thermo Top E, C and EVO) are limited to 60 min. running-time.
Webasto also have a Thermo Top C Motorcaravan version. What´s the difference? - I naturally need to run the unit for more than 60 min. to heat cabin and drinking water.

Any insight appreciated...
Thx

S2DM

Adventurer
I think Espar has better customer service and is more accessible for the consumer to ask questions. Webasto has all customer service go through the dealer. So, you can't just call Webasto directly if you need a replacement part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

javajoe79

Fabricator
Interested in the run time issues. I was unaware of that. I also want one for cabin heat and and hot water. Are the Eberspacher diesel units limited on run time?

thebigblue

Adventurer
Interested in the run time issues. I was unaware of that. I also want one for cabin heat and and hot water. Are the Eberspacher diesel units limited on run time?

Apparently the Eberspächer, from what I have been able to find on the website, can run on the timer for 120 min. If you can/need to restart a new 120 min. cycle I don't know :/

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I have a Webasto thermo 50 heater (C/E type kit) in my truck and have used a generic timer unit as Webasto do not make one for a 24v install. Mine will run indefinitely, although 48 hours is about the longest I have run it continuously.

I have no experience of the Eberspacher water heaters but I also have an Eberspacher D2 air heater in my truck.

Both have worked well for me, but the fact that Webasto do not sell an altitude compensator has been a pain. I've had to clean the burner out twice after long-periods at high altitude and it would be enough to convince me to use Ebersapcher in the future.

Kiomon

Adventurer
Eberspacgher can also do altitude compensation. I would definitely go Espar if you are self installing and going to be traveling away from your dealer. Webasto does not provide direct support to an end user. They prefer to only deal with their dealers. Its a huge pain in the butt if you have a problem (we have). I much prefer our Espar units for this simple reason. For their air heaters you can add altitude compensation if you are going above 5000 feet. Some of their hydronic units have it built in.

Silverado08

Observer
I'm looking into fitting a water heater in my Mercedes L608D.

Got a very confused, as it seems the normal Webasto water heaters (Thermo Top E, C and EVO) are limited to 60 min. running-time.
Webasto also have a Thermo Top C Motorcaravan version. What´s the difference? - I naturally need to run the unit for more than 60 min. to heat cabin and drinking water.

Any insight appreciated...
Thx
I use Espar for heating in m y TC,very efficient and low power consumption..didnt know that one can heat drinking water with these???

thebigblue

Adventurer
I bought this one, heats drinking water via coolant from engine, Espar hydronic system or via 12V/230V (Swiss army knife):

NCME_640_500_100.jpg

http://www.elgena.de/index.php/produkt/druckfest/compact.html

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Just fired up my Webasto 90S for the first time today, it makes quite a racket when it starts up in full boost mode.

Quietens down after about 5 minutes.

Just so you think carefully about where you fit the heater, I fitted it as far away from us as possible.

Within 20 minutes, the engine was up to normal operating temperature, which starting the motor! We have a Sigmar Marine boiler Since the water from either the Webasto or the engine can heat the water in the tank to more than 80 Deg C, a thermostatic mixing valve is essential, otherwise you risk serious scalding from the hot water tap. The boiler can also run off 240V if we have shore power.

DSC05655.JPG

Last edited:

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
What is the high pitched wine on the Webasto water heaters? I get the same on mine. I can't hear it inside the truck but it must be pretty annoying for anyone outside. I don't get the same noise on my eberspacher air heater.

Joe917

Explorer
I get the same noise at start up. It is greatly reduced with a muffler. Are you using a muffler?

One note on water heaters. When our 22 year old Isotemp(1500 watt) tank failed I replaced it with an Isotemp Spa tank(750 watt). I chose the smaller element (same tank size) so that I could heat water from the solar. 1500 watts is a big draw and hard on the batteries, 750 watts is fine on a sunny day. Before we had to run the generator if we wanted to heat water electrically. Bigger is not always better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven