webasto, Eberspächer, water heaters, which one to get?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Standard muffler on the Webasto, it's the grey think on under the silver radiator.

attachment.php

javajoe79

Fabricator
I use Espar for heating in m y TC,very efficient and low power consumption..didnt know that one can heat drinking water with these???

I have been thinking of this for my build. Using a heat exchanger for a shower. One side plumbed to the heater and one to the on board water tank. I would also have a switching valve to divert heater flow to a radiator for cabin heat.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Pretty common over here in Australia

http://www.glind.com.au/

Make you you get a thermostatic mixing valve, the first blast of 85 Dec C water could really ruin your day.

I have been thinking of this for my build. Using a heat exchanger for a shower. One side plumbed to the heater and one to the on board water tank. I would also have a switching valve to divert heater flow to a radiator for cabin heat.

Joe917

Explorer

http://www.isotherm-parts.com/spa-line-water-heaters-c-4_34_107/

As Ian says nothing new here, these systems have been around in the boating world for decades. They work very well and diesel engines are a great source of free heat.

Ian, your muffler looks similar to mine, (mine is not a webasto muffler). Without the muffler it sounds like the airport!

javajoe79

Fabricator
I suppose having the electric heat option would be nice too but does anyone make one without the electric heater element?

Joe917

Explorer
Search Google, I don't think the electric element can add much to the cost and it is a nice option if you stay put for more than a day or so. Of course you can heat the water with your Webasto/Esparcher as well.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Search Google, I don't think the electric element can add much to the cost and it is a nice option if you stay put for more than a day or so. Of course you can heat the water with your Webasto/Esparcher as well.

What size tank do you run? How fast does it recover if you use all the hot water?

thebigblue

Adventurer
I suppose having the electric heat option would be nice too but does anyone make one without the electric heater element?

The one I posted in #12 got the option, type ME.... you can get one without the electrical too, type M, see link in post.

Joe917

Explorer
What size tank do you run? How fast does it recover if you use all the hot water?

The Spa 20, 5gal. That's enough for 2 showers, we only run out of hot water if we do a load of laundry. I have not noted recovery time but after driving (1hour) there is always hot water.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Ok good info.. Thanks! I think the 5 gal Spa would be ideal and the electric option is a nice bonus. Do you heat your cabin with the espar? Mine will be pretty small so I was thinking that a small liquid to air heat exchanger would work well to just radiate heat into the cabin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven