Weeekend Adventures(for now)

galvyork

Adventurer
Day 9/10/11
Well days 9 and 10 were just travel and chores day. I left Custer SP and headed east to Mitchell, SD where i got a Motel 6 and took care of laundry and cleaning. OH BTW, HELLO humidity! I never missed you and you are an unwelcome guest! I woke early and got of the road to Itasca SP in MN. I arrived around 3 or so and stayed 2 nights. I have not been using the tent much since i sleep better in the back i opened it up and got out some blankets, pillows and mattress pad. I was floating on a cloud!
Day 11
I woke up and rain was coming so I went to the visitor center only to find it closed. I decided to do the widerness loop in the rain and then stopped to wait for it to stop at the trail head to the watch tower. This fire tower was used in the early to mid 1900s for fire watch and for surveying the land. Their was 5 or 6 in the Itasca area. After getting chased off the trail by the skeeters we headed to check out the rest of the park. I was trying to let Skia swim but there was no good spots for her to access the water. I drove us back to the visitor center and was able to see the headwaters of the Mississippi and read all the exhibit info. Its a pretty cool park but I think I like Custer's better.
Day 12
I woke up to a wet ground but blue sky. We had a crazy storm go through the area overnight. I stayed pretty dry in the truck but I think the tenters got wet! We traveled up to Cascade Falls Park on the North Shore of MN. This was based on a recommendation of the woman at the desk where I got my site at Itasca. What a place the river is just root beer brown but it is really flowing. Skia swam in Lake Superior and had a blast. She was a beast fetching sticks as big as her. The water was probably around 40 degrees or so. It made my face cold just getting the wind blowing across the water. We spent the night in the State Park but this park has awful service. I didn't have a reservation since I had no idea was going to stay here. The guy told me to get on my phone and purchase a site online.......REALLY!?!!! I tried to do it but the camp site would not pull up on the list so I had to go back in and have them do it any way. It was a royal pain in the *** but the hike and fun Skia had swimming was worth it. Tomorrow we are headed south towards Duluth and then east into WI.
Day 13
We headed south on route 61 from Cascade Falls SP. We stopped at Temperance River and did the falls hike. It was spectacular. Then just down the road we stopped at Cross Falls which is pretty cool as well. Split rock lighthouse was next on the list but I did not want to pay to go it so we went down to the shore and hiked around. It was awesome to see the light house up on the cliff. After heading south into Duluth and then into WI. We stopped in the Chequamegon-Niccolet NF and stayed on Lake Wanoka. Its a small lake with one Loon. Skia swam and fetched a few sticks. I don't like paying to camp very much but this place was worth it. 20 sites and maybe 5 or 6 full.

galvyork

Adventurer
Day 13
We headed south on route 61 from Cascade Falls SP. We stopped at Temperance River and did the falls hike. It was spectacular. Then just down the road we stopped at Cross Falls which is pretty cool as well. Split rock lighthouse was next on the list but I did not want to pay to go it so we went down to the shore and hiked around. It was awesome to see the light house up on the cliff. After heading south into Duluth and then into WI. We stopped in the Chequamegon-Niccolet NF and stayed on Lake Wanoka. Its a small lake with one Loon. Skia swam and fetched a few sticks. I don't like paying to camp very much but this place was worth it. 20 sites and maybe 5 or 6 full.
Day 14/15
Leaving Wanoka Lake we headed to Copper Falls State Park in WI. It was a cool park with a Mining history and the hikes were around the rim of a fork in the river. The Tyler Forks branch came into the Bad river. It was a quick 30 or 45 minutes and i would do it again if I was in the area. I would not go out of my way to see it though. No dogs allowed on the trail but I took her any way. It was not clearly marked. Oh well I was the only one there until the end any way. We left there and headed north west for the UP of Michigan. I wanted to check out the Porcupine state wilderness on Lake Superior. This Park is worth the stop. The trails are a but confusing due to 3 huge storms they had last summer and winter. The park lost over 300 trees and one campsite. I spent 2 nights here at Union Creek rustic campground. It is by the far the best deal unless you need hot showers and running water. They have a few rustic outpost campgrounds available but Union Creek was that best and your close to hiking trails. Day 14 I did Presque Isle side and checked out the 3 waterfalls on the Presque Isle river. Then I headed over to the lake of the Clouds side and Checked that out. Day 15 I hiked around my site on the union river and used the WIFI to take of some business on the computer at the visitor center.

galvyork

Adventurer
Day 16/17
After leaving the Porkies I head to Marquette, MI and stayed 2 days. It rained and was gloomy but thats life. We stayed in town for 2 nights.
Day 18
Monday We headed out in a drizzle and made it to Pictured rocks National Lakeshore. First we went to Munising Falls which was a short hike up the path to the base of the falls. There is a visitor center there for all of the park info. Next on the list was Miners Falls and Miners point overlook. Both are worth checking out. I was really impressed with Miners falls and the lower over look. If you look east you can see Bridal Veil Falls coming over the cliffs. Next was Chapel Falls and Mosquito falls both were a bit of a hike and in the end I just did Chapel since the trail head was in the middle. You could do a loop but with a ton of cars in the lot and no dogs aloud on the trail I passed. The lakeshore is not dog friendly. We headed east to beaver overlook which was not worth the drive. The view is covered with trees and you can't see much. I was in search for a camp site at this point and settled on Hurricane river which had about 10 or 15 sites. It was where the trail head for the lighthouse is. There is beach access and it was fairly full but not too loud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach