Weldtec Design 2WD Bent I-Beam Lift for E350 (E series vans)

radorsch

Adventurer
I was actually looking for fabrication services in San Diego and stumbled across the WeldTec Design web site. I have been debating lifting my van to tide me over until I can afford a full 4x4 conversion, so I've checked out all the 2WD lift threads here, and I was leaning towards an Action Van lift (about $3K out-the-door). However, I hadn't heard these guys mentioned anywhere here (or on SMBforum).
I thought I'd post to call attention to another possible resource... and, I was also wondering if anyone was familiar with them? Looks like they are offering a bent I-beam set-up like Camburg, with extended radius arms, new coils and shocks, etc. They have a few stages, but the lift is about 4-6" and it nets 10-14" of travel, depending on which version of the kit. Price is pretty low (which is a little concerning to me, but maybe fine) - $1750 installed for their Stage 2 (12" travel and 6" lift).
What do people think (aside from re-hashing "All Bent I-Beam lifts are junk/unsafe vs All drop bracket lifts are terrible")?
Also, does anyone know how many inches of travel (ballpark) a stock E350 has?

Link to E350 kits: http://weldtec.org/products.php?MAKE=FORD&P=5

Kit descriptions from the site:
1986-2007 Ford E-Series Vans
STAGE 1 LIFT
PRICE: $1000.00
INSTALLATION: $300.00
THIS LIFT WILL GIVE YOU 4" OF LIFT AND INCREASE YOU TRAVEL TO 10"
KIT INCLUDES:
4" BENT I-BEAMS
RADIUS ARMS W/ ADJUSTED CASTER
BILSTEIN SHOCKS
COILS
STEEL BRAIDED BRAKE LINES

STAGE 2 LIFT
PRICE: $1275.00
INSTALLATION: $475.00
THIS LIFT WILL GIVE YOU 4"-6" OF LIFT AND INCREASE YOUR TRAVEL TO 12"
KIT INCLUDES:
6" BENT I-BEAMS
EXTENDED RADIUS ARMS
TRANNY CROSS MEMBER
STEEL BRADED BRAKE LINES
5100 BILSTEIN SHOCKS
SKYJACKER COILS
+ CROMOLLY RADIUS ARMS WITH 1� HEIMS ADD $225

STAGE 3 LIFT
PRICE: $1940.00
INSTALLATION: $700.00
THIS LIFT WILL GIVE YOU 4"-6" OF LIFT AND INCREASE YOUR TRAVEL TO 14"
KIT INCLUDES:
6" BENT I-BEAMS
ADJUSTABLE COIL BUCKETS
EXTENDED RADIUS ARMS
COILS
BILSTEIN SHOCKS
STEEL BRAIDED BRAKE LINES
+ CROMOLLY RADIUS ARMS WITH 1� HEIMS ADD $225

LENGTHENED AND CUSTOM I BEAMS ARE AVAILABLE FOR ALL OF THESE LIFTS

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd be interested in them good or bad... 6000 lb over the rear LSD axle, a good set of tire and a flesh suspension, and my truck would go anywhere I'd want it to go. $1000 including shocks is peanuts.

radorsch

Adventurer
Yeah, Ramsey is also local here (San Diego) and may know them... Their site says they have been in the biz 20 years.
I haven't found any reviews anywhere, other than a couple yelp posts.
I assume they are using blocks to lift the rear, but It doesn't list them in the description.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Yeah, Ramsey is also local here (San Diego) and may know them...

Jeremy is right around the corner from our shop. My partner, Glen, knows him much better than I do. He has built plenty of I-beam suspensions. His daily driver is a lifted E-Series Van. His pricing is reasonable as is the product. Definitely a more economical option that will get you what you need. No need to spend $3,000 or more on a 2wd lift. especially if you want to end up with 4wd in the future.

Another option; it will cost you more now but save you thousands in the long run to just put the 4x4 front end in now and complete the conversion down the road.

radorsch

Adventurer
Does anyone know how much travel the stock E350 has? Looks like probably a couple inches of up travel, but I'm not sure how much droop... Maybe a total of 5 inches?

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
i'd guess it is no more than 7-8" for stock travel. The shocks and springs are the biggest limiter in my experience. Interesting they list the kit for 86-07 or whatever, the 91 and older frames are QUITE a bit different in every conceivable dimension (concept is still identical though). My guess is they build roughly the same kit for either? Pricing is what I would expect for a basic beam lift, lifting 2wd beam trucks really isn't rocket science and there isn't much to it to do it well. I had a 91 lifted ~4", my buddy welded on coilover towers and eyeball bent the beams over a weekend...worked fine for what it was and even used the stock radius arms. It cycled around 11 or 12" if I recall, which is more than enough for something street driven, and that could be called upon to tow (it did that very well). I think people get a little caught up in the quantity over quality debate personally, on big heavy rigs I think anything over 14-15" is a bit much and will start to lose tightness in the handling.

2wd is fun, and I was surprised where I could get my old van with an open diff and 33s (locker would have helped a TON), but BajaSportsmobile is right...if you're at all considering going the 4wd route, do it now. No point in spending good money now on something that you won't really be able to reuse much of. My buddy built a beamed Ranger with the intention of going 4wd some day...he just used the beams for now and only has to add a front diff, shafts and t-case to complete the conversion; its pretty ghetto looking with a 4x4 beam and no pumpkin on it (and he'll likely bend it soon if he doesn't put one on) but the ground work has been laid and he doesn't need to redo any hard mounts or components. Most of the overall cost ends up being the same for suspension, just add the 4x4 beams, t-case, driveshaft, and fuel tank mods. IF i were going to build another van, I'd go with Agile's kit. Gives you the delicious titties ride of beams, but the traction of 4x4.

radorsch

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice and input! I definitely want 4WD now, but I'm not sure that I wouldn't find 2WD with a little lift and a LS/locker sufficient for my demands on the van (the wife is positive that it'll be fine - but she doesn't do the digging if we get stuck:) ). If I had 4WD, no question that I'd use it - there would be way more places I'd take the van. However, with 2WD I have cash left for other goodies and I can hang onto my F150 4X4 for fun. I'm still considering a partial 4X4 conversion, but its still a lot more than just the lift and would no leave me cash for traction device (and I may even need to skimp on the tires, which would almost defeat the purpose).
I'm gonna give them a call and see what shocks and springs they're using. I definitely want to make sure its going to be a good ride - although I'll still be drooling for an Agile tuned suspension:drool:. But, for $1300 installed, it wouldn't be too painful if I decided to go 4WD in a year or two and had to throw out the lift parts. If I keep the rear axle in the conversion, the re-gearing and LS/Locker wouldn't be wasted. But if the wife is right and the lift is sufficient, I'll have saved probably $4K over a partial conversion. Its really hard for me to decide - heart says go 4X4 at all cost, but brain and wallet are saying to go slow and see what I need/use.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've got an Fj40 I find that I rarely need 4wd when wheeling. 98% of the trails I've driven can be done in 2wd with open diffs. Knowing how to drive a capable vehicle makes a big difference. That said, with a monstrous camperized van... You may only have one path through obstacles where a smaller truck has several.

The trails around here are far too tight and narrow for my 8' wide x 8.5' tall Ambo... 2wd, its LSD, and decent tires will be all I'll need here and on all the logging roads I'll ever drive. But seriously consider your long term plans and don't pour good money down the drain. If you do go 2wd with a lift, you could still sell the parts used if they're not living up to your expectations. I know someone would be willing to take them off your hands for $500.

radorsch

Adventurer
Thanks Bikersmurf, I'll keep you in mind! :)
The things I worry about on the trails Id be taking the van on here, more than narrow trails, is washboard and sand. Other areas I like to go, it's more steep/slippery stuff and mud. The washboard is just suspension and airing down (and finding the right speed). I'm hoping between airing down plenty, LSD/locker, MaxTrax and a contingency plan, I'll be able to handle the sand (carefully).
On the other hand... A PreRunner van would be pretty sweet. I can install some huge coilover shock towers in the back and widen the stance a foot or so, rollcage... :Wow1:

radorsch

Adventurer
Back to bent I beams.
IIRC, extending the radius ams should help correct the caster angle. With an Ibeam setup, the camber changes thought the cycle and I've heard that can be a problem in some setups (tire wear, alignment issue). However, I think that may have been in setups with much more than 10-12 inches of travel. Does anyone have a feel for whether that may be an issue with a 4inch lift and/or what to look for to help mitigate any problems? Most of what I'm finding is on the desert racing forums and I'm not sure that it would fully apply to a mildly souped up van.

Skinny

I would probably just keep what you have and invest in good tires, a rear locker, and chains if you really run into trouble. Do you have a bumper and winch yet? I think the same rules apply with a 2wd van that any other offroad rig. The bigger equipment just gets you stuck further. You eventually will get stuck. The winch will be helpful regardless of your setup.

To go up to the next stage without commiting to a 4wd conversion, I agree. Just install the axle and leave it as is until you are ready to tackle the rest. Spending money on an I-beam setup is a waste unless you want to stay 2wd for the life of the van. Then it would be a good investment. As with any I-beam, tire wear will always be an issue on road because the camber cycles so drastically during wheel travel. The only way around that is to lower the amount of wheel travel or extend the physical length of the arm. I would probably say that even if you aren't going to use it for some type of high speed off road running, I would almost rather convert it to a solid beam axle even if staying 2wd to avoid this. I-beam has so many geometry and steering issues that are expensive to resolve or deal with.

mikracer

Adventurer
I did a google search on Weldtec and it seems like a lot of the posts on forums were negative. Granted, the posts were quite a few years ago, but there is no new chatter about this shop. I would also ask if his radius arms come powdercoated. The radius arms on the van on the website don't look powder coated. Ramsey gave him the nod, so he can't be all bad, but I'd be at least a little leery going with a shop that has no forum backing and no other examples other than the shop van.

radorsch

Adventurer
I noticed the same thing about the reviews and lack of pictures. I see some trucks, including a nice trophy truck, but no other vans. Forum posts seemed mixed, but maybe the bad ones were just more vocal. I want to chat with them, but so far I've left VMx2 and haven't heard back... Although they seem like a small shop and maybe they're busy (good sign?)
I'm also trying to price partial 4x4 conversions. Id definitely go that route if it isnt much more that the ActionVan lift. However, The Ujoint kit is definitely more that I can do right now, especially if I get the axle from him (although its a beautiful axle). I want to see if Agile would do the partial conversion and what the cost would be, since they're my top choice for 4x4 if/when a full conversion is in the budget. And I think the Dana 50 TTBs can be had for less than the Dana 60s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333