WERE TO PUT THE JERRY CAN?

MARKSMONTE

EXPLORER
Im building a new rear bumper for my Gen 1. Any body add a jerry can mount to there Monte?
The liecense plate seems to be in the way.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
What if you just build a bracket on the outside of the Jerry can holder, that way you can move it out of the way but keep it in the same location.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Get a Wedco non vente. They don't leak like the "safety cans" just be sure to vent it properly when you open it.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Having that extra fuel hanging on the back would be very convenient, but here's my choice.

When I get around to building a rear bumper I will still keep the fuel up top. I figure that a collision on the highway is much more likely than a rollover, so part of it is a safety thing. Also, I don't use the fuel all that often so there's no need to keep it immediately convenient. Having been a firefighter for many years, there's no way I'd ever allow it inside the cabin.

When I don't need the extra fuel the same rack holds two 20-liter water cans perfectly. No, it's not ideal having weight up high, but life is full of compromise. If anything, I'd bring my second spare down to hang out back with its twin.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yup, wedco or similar Jerry can with a cam action lid that fully seals versus a typical screw on cover which usually leak fumes. Then you can simply put them anywhere and in any position (on its side, upside down, etc.).

Alternatively, Blitz and Scepter cans but be careful because they will leak if you don't screw them down tightly enough. No sure about Scepter cans but I can confirm that Blitz cans are difficult to impossible to tighten by hand well enough that you can store it on its side. You can if you use aomething to gain sufficient leverage which means I'd need to use a tool just to close it.

So all that said... since wedco/jerry cans dont leak, I store mine mounted inside. They're mounted securely inside with a Baja Rack Can holder that's bolted to my sleeping platform. I did take the time to engineer a bolt-in solution for the Baja Rack holder so that I can remove the cans, cover the holder, and still use the entire platform for a bed.

Here's a link to some pics of the setup http://s405.photobucket.com/user/offroader_ii/library/Jerry Can Rack. I have both a Jerry can and a water can held down. I'm sure the same thing can be done using other off the shelf holders.

Last edited:

MARKSMONTE

EXPLORER
Thanks for the responses.
I was worried about moving the liesense plate because I thought it had to have a light(legal).
I found a old picture of a Montero with the plate moved to the bumper below the spare tire. That bumper had a can mount that pivited out of the way.
I did not want the can inside because of odor and not on top because of clearence, I already have problems there.
I think the pivot might be the way to go.
At least for me. I like that every body does what's best for thier use.

Scott Brady

Founder
What about mounting it to the spare tire, like this?
IMG_0982.jpg

Or this?
no-subject.jpg

Personally, I have always stored the cans inside and use good quality NATO cans with good seals. Never had an issue with leaking or odor.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I did not want the can inside because of odor...

If you switch to Wedco or actual Jerry cans, I can literally guarantee you won't smell any fumes in the cabin. Like I said in my explanation I'm acutely affected by those fumes myself.
This is a Wedco can... (notice the top is NOT screwed down?). This will not leak fumes. Here's a video of how it closes/opens so you can see what I mean about it having a 'cam action' closure... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBjwPpKwJRA You will actually hear it equalize the air pressure when you open it at an altitude that's significantly different from when you closed it.:Wow1:
573px-Jerrycan.JPG

Other 5 gallon gas cans (Blitz, Scepter, etc.) have screw on tops that are prone to leaking fumes because they are difficult to close properly. They are definitely not recommended for storage inside your rig.

Alternatively, Scott's suggestion is also a good one.

HTH.

Last edited:

MARKSMONTE

EXPLORER
DSCF9533.jpg
LAOutback posted this picture back in 2011.
This is kind of what I was thinking. but if gets to be to much work it sounds like with the right can I can put it inside behind the wheel well.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I think the pivot might be the way to go.
At least for me. I like that every body does what's best for thier use.

I have my can mounted on the spare tire carrier.
Although, if I was fabricating a bumper, including a gas can carrier on it would be a given.
I'm with you...given the choice- slap it on a pivot.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
And it's bolted to the door.
I dont want to add mooore weight to the door.
Its already alittle saggy.

BTW Where did that picture come from and are there any more of that vehicle?
It's bolted to the side and swings to the left so you can open the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal