What about BOB?

RobRed

Explorer
I'm not saying my Breitling wasn't well built but the mechanics are what they are and if you get one built on Friday you might be doomed. After 5 or so trips back to them they got it sorted and they guy who bought mine couldn't be happier - i was the one that had to deal with it. He got the "fixed" version.

SPOT runs on the Globalstar SAT network - They seem to have continuous issues on the network so I'm not surprised of the problems your friend had. I know many people have them and they work ok but as you know the PLB on the COPAS/SARSAT is the global gold standard.

Back to BOB for a second. I'm breaking down the packing list I posted by location in the pack to a category listing. I'll post it in the article tonight so it will be easier for people to rip me on the items I have. :) I'm going to include the estimated prices I used with it so as to spur on the discussion that 2 Advil should be 0.50 instead of the dollar I listed.

gmwelder86

Adventurer
Rob if you went to generic could probably get that cost down to 35 cents. When it comes to personal protection and safety of loved ones in emergency situations penny's count!

RobRed

Explorer
it would still cost about tree fiddy.

I uploaded a revised inventory style to the article that includes estimated costs. Now folks can see my extravagant lifestyle in better detail.

coastwatcher42

I uploaded a revised inventory style to the article that includes estimated costs.

I'm glad to see that you incorporated some of my ideas into your kit. I hope that the items serve you well. Everything that I suggested was the result of a long period of trial and error.

coastwatcher42

One of the things that I forgot to add to my suggestion list is a Epipen. Even if you are not allergic to stings, you still might have a reaction if you are stung multiple times. About thirty years ago my uncle was bushhogging a field and ran over a yellow jacket next. I'm not sure how many times he was stung but it was a lot. Even though he had been stung dozens of times in the past with no reaction, he had one this time. He almost didn't make it. I carry a Epipen any time I'm in the outdoors. Remember, too, that some plants and other insect bites can cause dangerous allergic reactions. It is possible that you could come across something that you have never been in contact with before that you are allergic to.

Last edited:

RobRed

Explorer
I carry benedril :)

Epi is on my to do list but its a prescription so when the opportunity strikes to acquire I will. I intend to have it in my large FAK but if it works out I would carry in the BOB as well. I appreciate all of your suggestions on this topic.

RobRed

Explorer
I changed out the common clothes I had for the bag and added some technical clothing.... wouldn't you know it? It made the cost go up.

I'd love it if someone posted their $300 Go Bag inventory.

Ivan

Lost in Space
I changed out the common clothes I had for the bag and added some technical clothing.... wouldn't you know it? It made the cost go up.

I'd love it if someone posted their $300 Go Bag inventory.

Not that hard, there's plenty of threads, videos, podcasts, etc. on putting together a "Dollar Tree" B.O.B. It just comes down to your individual use. If it's a pack to get me from where my truck broke down to where I can get cell reception to call someone (kinda what I got from your post on your site), a Camelback with a basic IFAK and some food should be enough.

If this bag/setup works for you and your intended use, that's all that matters.

RobRed

Explorer
@ivan

Seems to work for me. The initial impetus was a scenario of "get help" but evolved to a general survival pack to cover a variety of contingencies. I live in earthquake country. I was (luckily) on the south end of the collapsing freeway in 1989 in Oakland during the Loma Prieta quake and made it home. I play with guns so certain medical supplies were included. A PLB included in case I'm injured and immobile. etc etc

I've seen a few of these videos and they often seem to be pretty bad. A lot of paracord and knives :) I'm sure there are some good vids. There is obviously no right setup for everyone but if you read this thread there seemed to be some hate about the actual cost of doing this. The med supplies alone were over $250 and I don't think they are excessive. Perhaps I'm deluded in thinking I should rely on higher quality tools when a $19 multi tool would due.

Ivan

Lost in Space
@ivan

Seems to work for me. The initial impetus was a scenario of "get help" but evolved to a general survival pack to cover a variety of contingencies. I live in earthquake country. I was (luckily) on the south end of the collapsing freeway in 1989 in Oakland during the Loma Prieta quake and made it home. I play with guns so certain medical supplies were included. A PLB included in case I'm injured and immobile. etc etc

I've seen a few of these videos and they often seem to be pretty bad. A lot of paracord and knives :) I'm sure there are some good vids. There is obviously no right setup for everyone but if you read this thread there seemed to be some hate about the actual cost of doing this. The med supplies alone were over $250 and I don't think they are excessive. Perhaps I'm deluded in thinking I should rely on higher quality tools when a $19 multi tool would due.

Focusing on price is pointless if the cost is commensurate with the quality of the product. (I.e.: $20 wallmart pack vs. A goruck).

And $250 doesn't seem excessive at all. I'm sure I've spent more in my IFAK and blow out kits that I keep for work, my car, home, etc.

Quite the interesting opinions throughout this thread for sure.

poriggity

Explorer
Put your tin foil on, in my family, we have a bug out bad full of supplies that will allow for food, water and shelter for at least 2 weeks for 4 of us. All put into a large exterior frame backpacking bag. We also have a significant strategy and build up of "stores" to bug on and not be without food

coastwatcher42

Perhaps I'm deluded in thinking I should rely on higher quality tools when a $19 multi tool would due.

If you are anything like me, and it would appear that you are, no monetary value can be placed on your life and the lives of your loved ones. As I stated in my original post in this thread, pre-packed BOBs can be had for less than $100. Would you trust your life on one of these? I wouldn't.

Outdoor/survival gear is like anything else, you pretty much get what you pay for. Now that I am retired and on a fixed income, I try to make every penny count while striving to obtain the best gear available. I do this by subscribing to major outdoor retailers' newsleters to watch for sales, checking eBay often for gently used equipment, and checking yard sales and flea markets. Some gear, such as electronics, I don't feel comfortable buying used and must rely on sales.

Don't let anyone make you feel bad about the cost of our BOB. If you are comfortable with it, that's all that counts. Just make sure that, whether you spend $10 or $100, the gear you buy is reliable and durable enough to bet your life on.

RobRed

Explorer
Oh I'm perfectly comfortable with the costs of the bag I have and the gear thats in it.

But I'd love to hear some real detail about what other Expo members are using in these less expensive setups. My impression is that many have not done an actual cost analysis. You can shave $1500 out of my bag pretty quick by removing the comms gear I have and another 4-500 by swapping out the expensive lights I have. Drop $400 by using an old duffle bag. That still leaves $2000 ish in tools, med supplies and other essentials.

Could you imagine if we brought firearms into the conversation? I might have to justify an expensive sight. :)

Again I appreciate your interest and the suggestions in improving my load out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online