What are your clever storage systems/mods/tricks (aka not drawers)?

rayra

Expedition Leader
It's for bridging obstacles ;)

/

This weekend was another familial construction trip 140mi in the opposite direction. One of the deliberate decisions on my storage platform height was not only the minimum interior drawer height but also the maximum platform height. in part so I could still transport a wheelbarrow in the back. And a couple months ago it was a boxed residential 50gal water heater. I've got ~25" vertical clearance at the hatch coaming, over the platform

storagebuild156.jpg

I took some pains in designing my platform so I'd retain as much of the functionality of my pickup as possible. Still a No Go for transporting soil amendments (manure). Even with leather upholstery that's a bad idea, takes too long to air that stink out.

/Pro Tip

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Large ammo cans just fit between the wheel arches and tailgate of the FJ60. Added D-rings to the floor and attached the cans to those. Frequently used tools go in one can, recovery gear in the other. Now all I have to do is open the lift gate and pop off the can lid to access tools. This as opposed to unlashing a couple of ratchet straps and dragging out a large tool container.

Camp gear goes in two USGI medical chests. The rest goes in large gear duffels.

Two of us sleep in the back just fine. Considered drawers but I prefer having headroom.

RS_FJ60_TOOLBOXES.jpg

shifty98

Observer
Not a vehicle specific thing, but modifying a couple of our action packer totes helped make them more useful and helped locate small stuff that used to migrate to the bottom. Cost about a dollar for the elastic shock cord.

-MyoQuZFoLjppW68K-mTHgD3cX4XFMXet9kYGUFhAVvVPNt7c8hnxj7m7CIT57Z-nKZQ-PtZVeiODrEkufxoH0mZdWzTBH9K9dKcAkUGNGNJNrsY1Hc9_SxkxxtcPlpUuspZ21hELQ

HeR7-eBTG3f33vAnF0UEiCid7jR_bl2QEcRWzraczAxLN0mlDGSFj6K-QnsjB2qUzQrLBbudpk7jF4G4zvIDhIbi42lBjiiA1n2RhLMjDUMc7S3AGjXjijidmcFLRs_Oa9npHum51g

This is genius. I have so many action packers and the lids always frustrate me. I'm going to do this soon.

robert

Expedition Leader
I like the concept of the molle panels/pouches but my OCD would kick in with a whole bunch of different sizes and style pouches. I like tool bags and pouches for organizing; Rubbermaid and Pelican cases for things that need to be in hard cases. I've got one of those elastic nets in the top of the camper shell for lightweight stuff like sleeping bags or pillows.

jeegro

Adventurer
I like the concept of the molle panels/pouches but my OCD would kick in with a whole bunch of different sizes and style pouches. I like tool bags and pouches for organizing; Rubbermaid and Pelican cases for things that need to be in hard cases. I've got one of those elastic nets in the top of the camper shell for lightweight stuff like sleeping bags or pillows.

Indeed. The number of hours I've spent browsing through all the different styles...

I'm currently in the process of re-thinking my molle setup. For some things it works perfectly, like tire deflators, air hose, personal hygiene, wipes, bottles, etc, but for other things like tools... not so much, I always end up with the passenger seat being a pile of tools, and having to make multiple trips to the molles to find the right socket, etc. And it's annoying when you want to group like-minded things together, but there's always an outlier that's too big for the molle.

I'll post some more pictures once I get v2 in the works. For tools, I just ordered the Atlas46 Yorktown tool roll - looks like a very promising setup.

MOguy

Explorer
I like bags. I don't live out of my Jeep. I like to take my bags and but the ones I need in my tent. The ones I need for cooking where I cook. I don't want to have to run back to the jeep every time I need something. Another issue is weight, drawers are heavier than bags.

If I had larger vehicles that I slept in I might want drawers.

To answer the Ops question? I am in a Wrangler so space is an issue. I take very little food that needs to be temp controlled. I take it in a small collapsible ice chest and eat it the first night out. Most of my food doesn't require refrigeration, not taking a big cooler saves space. I take individual water bottles and shove them and my food anywhere they fit instead on a huge water can and cooler. These to things save me allot of space.

I have a hitch rack. I built the receiver high enough so it sits above my spare. I welded a crossbar with a receiver between my role bar.

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
I too have the FR drawer system but for LR and with two different sized drawers. It works in combination with the center mounted ARB fridge and storage boxes over the second row seating folded down to make a very acceptable sleeping platform.
Yes, it is heavy but with the third row seating removed the weight evens out and provides required storage in the drawers and on the sides and under the system.
Really like it but knowing what I do about the system I might have saved lots of $$ and weight by making my own arrangement.

Air Down Gear Up

Hi Everyone,
Weighing in with a solution we developed for the 100 series landcruiser. We also agree that drawers are often not the best solution! I personally find the flexibility of bins/totes is way more valuable than a drawer system. Check out airdowngearup.com for more details. Here are a few pictures of our system.

Attachments

• Unlined sleeper.jpg
    Unlined sleeper.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 284
  • 20526080_1907754012830112_4004330339045635158_n.jpg
    20526080_1907754012830112_4004330339045635158_n.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 291
  • unlined sleeper folded.jpg
    unlined sleeper folded.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 275

shu2kill

I just found this thread, i know its old but im going to post mine.

on my JKU, the subwoofer took some cargo space (not my actual picture, but the same)

maxresdefault.jpg

So, i made this relocation box to move it out of the way:

And since i had some material left, i made another box for the other side. In this one i store a toolbox, sling, shovel, and a small knife (not shown):

Its a lot of otherwise wasted space in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk