What can a first gen monty tow?

firstgenmonty

Maybe more than you think.
I know this wasn't exactly the safest or the best on the rig but when we agreed to pull the trailer for the whole group we were ashered that it wouldn't weigh more than 3,000lb. So heres a pic of the rig loaded up on our way to burning man. The inside was stuffed to the brim and the tailer was heavy we had a 50gal drum full of water along with 5 other jerry cans, a collapsable car port and everything else you can imagine. and any free wholes where stuffed with fire wood. I'd guess the trailer at about 6,000lb twice what its rated for + another 800-1,000 in the car. It did really well considering all the wind drag from it as well. Over the 3,000mile treck over the rocky mountain pass's and cruising 70mph on the highway we got about 14mpg. that little 3.0 v6 is incredible. we had the power advantage in our convoy as the other rig was a class b moterhome that weighed less than our rig and they were geting 6mpg. These really are some of the best cars ever built considering the 240,000miles that where on the rig at the time.

tumblr_kvqop7fAtF1qa4vyno1_1280.jpg

DuManchu

You got 14MPG towing THAT in the MOUNTAINS?!?!?!

Wow!

I couldn't even muster 14MPG from my unloaded Cruiser in KANSAS...

Consider me sold on a Monty :D

firstgenmonty

Wow!

Yep, she normally gets some where from 18-22mpg
One of the smoothest running engines I have been around. You some times forget she's running when its at idle and you never want to shift she just sounds so good!

off-roader

Expedition Leader

Wow!

DuManchu,

With stock gearing, I frequently get 16-17MPG running 35's in my 96 SR Monty.:Wow1: That figure is the compensated mileage based on the larger sized tire versus the stock 31" tire.

firstgenmonty

DuManchu,

With stock gearing, I frequently get 16-17MPG running 35's in my 96 SR Monty.:Wow1: That figure is the compensated mileage based on the larger sized tire versus the stock 31" tire.

yeah, that sounds about right. Im running a little taller bfg all terrain tire now and my mpg only dropped about .5.
I am alway suprized how hard that little 3.0l pulls when i lean on the gas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven