What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

harv3589

Adventurer
Any problems mounting 35s on the stock wheels?

Place I bought the tires from wouldn't do it since the wheel width was 7.5" and the book said the 35" tires need a minimum of 8.5". Went to another place and they did it with no issues.

I did lots of looking around and talking to people and they run 35's on rubi wheels all the time. No issues reported.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Place I bought the tires from wouldn't do it since the wheel width was 7.5" and the book said the 35" tires need a minimum of 8.5". Went to another place and they did it with no issues.

I did lots of looking around and talking to people and they run 35's on rubi wheels all the time. No issues reported.

Looking at how those sit, they are definitely a bit too wide for the wheels. They'll work, but they'll feel mushier and it'll be easier to roll a bead off a wheel if you air them down too much.

Lucky j

Explorer
They actually put more pressure on the bead than a wider wheel. As me how I know. But they could feel mushier as you say, but if they are radial it should not be that bad compare to a bias.

harv3589

Adventurer
Looking at how those sit, they are definitely a bit too wide for the wheels. They'll work, but they'll feel mushier and it'll be easier to roll a bead off a wheel if you air them down too much.

They might be but they will work for now. New wheels are not in the plans right now...lift is next to get some room for the tires.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
They actually put more pressure on the bead than a wider wheel. As me how I know. But they could feel mushier as you say, but if they are radial it should not be that bad compare to a bias.

Up to a point, yes, it'll hold the beads better. But if you go too far with the wide tires / narrow wheel thing, it puts the sidewalls at enough of an angle that the tire can start to move sideways across the wheel and pull the bead off one side, especially when aired down.

harv3589

Adventurer
Here's a better pic in the day light...I don't think the tire bulge too much

07184e05c4c0f997e8bc139d928f4522.jpg

Lucky j

Explorer
Up to a point, yes, it'll hold the beads better. But if you go too far with the wide tires / narrow wheel thing, it puts the sidewalls at enough of an angle that the tire can start to move sideways across the wheel and pull the bead off one side, especially when aired down.

That Inagree with, but I don't think he is at that point yet. But do not think he should go much wider with the tires.

And I have never lost a beed on a wider tire than a wheel before I got to the right wheel width for the tire. Standard steel wheels of my YJ (7") with 11.5 and even 12.5" ( those drove like crap, they were MIckey Tompson baja belted) always stayed on. And 7" steel wiith 10.5" boggers, must have lost the beed on those 7 or 8 times and this was the recomended wheel witdh. But always easy to reaseat on the spot.

Last edited:

MTSN

Explorer
There are zero issues running the stock wheels with 315/70/17 Duratracs, and lots here are doing it. I'm not saying it was a great idea, but I used to run a 15"x7" rim with TSL Swampers that measured over 13" wide on an XJ, and it worked just fine. I was able to air down to 8-10 psi with zero issues with the bead, and the disparity between the stock Rubicon wheel and Duratrac is nowhere near that. I've been running the combo for 10 months myself:

IMG_6005.JPG

IMG_5854.JPG

harv3589

Adventurer
That Inagree with, but I don't think he is at that point yet. But do not think he should go much wider with the tires.

And I have never lost a beed on a wider tire than a wheel before I got to the right wheel width for the tire. Standard steel wheels of my YJ (7") with 11.5 and even 12.5" ( those drove like crap, they were MIckey Tompson baja belted) always stayed on. And 7" steel wiith 10.5" boggers, must have lost the beed on those 7 or 8 times and this was the recomended wheel witdh. But always easy to reaseat on the spot.

I'm not going any bigger than that with the tires...big enough for me

Septu

Explorer

I ran 13.5" wide tires on my stock Rubi wheels for 2+ years. Never once had an issue and wheeled it all summer long. It was also my DD and made several very long road trips (6000 mi+).

But one thing I would change... I wouldn't keep the D rings on the bumper while living in a place with sub zero temps - especially a place that where it will see them for weeks/months on end. Had one of mine freeze in place and couldn't get it off until the weather warmed up. Fortunately I have spares that I keep in the jeep.

harv3589

Adventurer
But one thing I would change... I wouldn't keep the D rings on the bumper while living in a place with sub zero temps - especially a place that where it will see them for weeks/months on end. Had one of mine freeze in place and couldn't get it off until the weather warmed up. Fortunately I have spares that I keep in the jeep.

That's interesting I may have to remove them for the winter then...thanks for the tip

Reboot11133

Observer
Yes. I run spacers with no issues. I drove from Vancouver to Moab and back ( over 5,000 Km total) and wheeled for 8 days while I was there. Checked the lug nuts for tightness and all was good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal