What do y'all think of this 80?

Triplesnake

Adventurer
So, I'd really like to build up an overland rig and spend some time exploring the southwest. I've been working on convincing the wife to replace my current S10 Blazer hunting truck with something we could build on, and this has been on the local craigslist. I haven't looked at it in person yet, but thought I would ask the board for your opinion on the condition as pictured vs the price, besides the fact that the "custom" paint is ugly as hell. It is really ugly. This would almost be a rescue as well as a build. What do y'all see? Anything I should look out for on this?

https://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/5482029269.html

Dougnuts

One thing to look out for would be your wife's reaction when you brought it home. Seriously, that thing looks terrible and I would spend a little more money to get something nicer.

lugueto

Adventurer
The interior is quite clean, if its mechanically sound and you don't mind completely repainting it, I suppose you could rescue it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can get a more recent model for that kind of money, right?

Those tires will need to be changed though, they seem to be almost at the markers. Funny how the guy states they have 90% tread left..

jwilliams

Observer
For reference... I bought a 97 triple locked with 154k on it for $7.5k. I drove to Tulsa OK from Ohio to pick it up.
For that amount of money and the fact that you would have to repaint it and it doesn't have lockers... I couldn't justify the price.

KBB for that year, mileage, and being in "Good" condition for a private buyer is only $1,690.
KBB is undervalued by the community as a whole, but gives you a good starting price.

If you look at it and like it, I would offer half of what he is asking. As it is, I think the price is pretty high.

Just my two cents.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
Lol, "Mint" Condition. Are the talking about the paint or the physical condition of the vehicle?

Joke aside, make sure you read through slee's guide here: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

That's pretty much the de-facto "things to check" list, and it's pretty thorough.

Ha!, I thought the same think about the condition, or the color. Thanks for the link to Sleeoffroad. That is a good list.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone else too. I might go look at it just to satisfy my curiosity, but in the end I would like to hold out and find one with lockers.

brentbba

Explorer
Gotta agree with the other posters. Asking price is way to high for a stock, no lockers, fughly paint job '94. In addition to Slee's site provided, IH8MUD is a website devoted to Landcruisers and the 80's section has a huge FAQ section put together by the mods of that section with years of collective wisdom on the 80 series LC.

If you already haven't, do pass on this one or if mechanically in good shape, offer him $1000 because of the color of the paint job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad