What do you use to make fruit smoothies while on the road?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Is it possible to pre-make them, freeze them in containers which then double as your ice? New to this so my $.02 may be worth much less than face value...

Actually sounds like a great idea. Also might save some space that was used for all the fresh fruits and veggies.

magentawave

Adventurer
Pre-make a year or two of smoothies? Thanks but that won't work for me cuz I'm doing Mex, Central America and South America. Also, I want to make them from fresh fruit.

gsanders

Observer
What about freezing the fruit, then you don't need ice. My wife and I just used our GSI hand crank last weekend for the first time. We used frozen fruit, some juice, and I cranked them out on low gear and then switched to high and it was like I make at home with our $400 Vitamix. We never use ice in our Vitamix either, just frozen fruit. I understand you want to use fresh fruit, but maybe you could pre-freeze or possible mix fresh and frozen. I do that all the time at home too. Anyway, just some thoughts. Barring that, I would second some soft of drill bit attachment if you are already carrying a drill.

magentawave

Adventurer
My new DC fridge has a fairly large freezer so I'll be able to freeze fruit along the way.

I briefly had one of those GSI hand crank blenders but returned it cuz I felt everything was too rough. I have a brand new GSI container on eBay right now but aren't getting any bites.

Scoutman

Explorer
I did the die grinder blender a while back and it didn't work that well. I took the gear driver off the motor and mounted it on a post that I put in my die grinder. The problem I had was keeping it seated on the jar base. I could probably have spent a little more time on it and gotten it to work but bottom line it was more of a pain to use than it was worth and I killed the blender trying. I remember thinking I was better off keeping the $20 blender intact and just plugging it into the power inverter in my truck. Problem there is you're carrying around this full sized heavy kitchen appliance. It sure would be nice to make some margaritas in camp tho. :sombrero:

Keep in mind that your drill probably spins around 1500 RPM (in the fast speed gearbox), the die grinder may spin around 27,000 RPM, a 1/4" impact driver spins around 2500, and your blender may spin from 500-37,000 RPM depending on what speed you select and how expensive a blender you own. The die grinder would be best from an RPM perspective but it may get hung up on the ice occasionally. A 1/2" impact I think would just destroy a blender. Lol...

If it were me and only making one or 2 smoothies a day I'd grab one of these for the price and size it seems about right. Whether or not it has the balls to grind ice, etc for margaritas is TBD.

I do like the V-8 blender but a PTO on the transmission is probably not very practical for the average smoothie maker. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater