What is the best “compact” expedition vehicle

rc51kid

Adventurer
I have been looking for the right vehicle for me for a while now. I plan on doing some cross county back packing/biking trips with the GF and 2 dogs. I want to be able to sleep in the vehicle if possible, get decent MPG and explore off road/rough roads and jeep trails. This will also more than likely be my DD. I have a short (7 mile) commute to work. So the DD part is not too bad.
Right now we own a Volvo wagon and a 98 CRV (2wd). The CRV does most of what I want (wish it was real 4WD) but it is a few inches too short to sleep in. I can sleep in the Volvo but I want 4WD and a less delicate/expensive vehicle that I can mildly off road.
Originally I looked at FJ60/62 and then on to the FJZ80. These are all great but the MPG really is a killer. I have kind of settled on 3rd 96-02 4Runner. 15/19MPG if I remember right, not bad but not great for DD. I have started to look at smaller options. I am looking into the AWD CRV, Forester, 4 door Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker, Toyota Highlander. I am looking for opinions on using some of these smaller/better MPG vehicle for light expedition/camping/traveling vehicles. My first choice would be a FJZ80, but I just feel like $5 a gallon is probably the reality in the future. So I am trying to see if there is something smaller that might work for me. Anyone have opinions about any of these vehicles or other options?

stevec

Adventurer
Being a Suzuki fan I am surely biased, but I'd recommend the 90's Sidekick/Tracker. It'll do all you want, and gas mileage should be in the mid 20's. Also look at the XL-7: a bit longer than the Track/Kick so more space, plenty of power with the 2.7L V6, and real 4WD (with a real shifter through 2003!) We had an '04 for awhile, and it got a consistent 21-22mpg in combined city/highway.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I hate to say it but you're going to have to compromise on something. A Crossover type vehicle like the Outback, Forester, Element, etc, might be fine for dirt roads or graded forest service roads, but you aren't going to be taking it on any real "jeep" trails - they don't have the clearance, the approach/departure/breakover angles, or the gearing to do that.

A small SUV like the Tracker/Sidekick will get you close to 20mpg if you have a 5 speed (pre-'06) but won't be as nice to drive on the street. It does have low range, though, and a body-on-frame chassis that's further off the ground.

haven

Expedition Leader
Finding room for two people and two dogs to sleep inside a compact vehicle is difficult. If the dogs aren't too big, you can make it work by removing the rear seats and installing a platform that extends from the front seats to the rear. Tilt the front seats forward to make a little more room.

Take a look at the 2005-06 Jeep Liberty 4x4 with diesel engine. The 4x4 Liberty has a two speed transfer case and earns Jeep's "Trail Rated" designation. EPA rates the diesel-equipped Liberty as 19 city, 25 highway. Price for an 05-06 diesel Liberty with 50,000 miles is $13K - $15K.

If the stock Liberty won't handle the trails you want to visit, there are several vendors that can improve ground clearance and provide body protection for the Liberty.

keezer37

Explorer
I did this search awhile back and kept coming up with the Element. I love the utility of the vehicle and not having carpeting is a big plus for me and might be for a dog owner. The aerodynamic little scamp gets 29 mpg on the highway according to C/R, 26 according to the EPA and 21 overall. It also has a good history of reliability. The off-roading should be limited to vandalizing golf courses though.

The CR-V requires that you remove your seats and build a bed platform. I'm still deciding on that. Being it's me only, and I want to retain the ability to carry friends around, I would probably remove the larger one of the rear seats.

The Element would be another option. It has several things going for it. You can take out the seats without tools or flip them up against the walls for full floor access and sleep on the floor or build a bed platform. You could lay out all the seats flat and sleep on them in a pinch. The issues with an Element include lower gas mileage than a CR-V and lower ground clearance. At least they didn't change the Element's basic design during the entire run. I wish they had done that with the CR-V instead of the car-like monstrosity it has become in the 3rd gen.

Did'nt catch what part of the country you are in. If your bent on sleeping in it you are limited for sure. Unless your under 6". We love our Nemo ground tent. A vehicle you can sleep in, or on (RTT) is going to be more expensive.

rc51kid

Adventurer
some more info

a little more info. Both my dogs are small,25lb or so. Also i am about 5'6" so i can sleep in a small space. We are used to backpacking tents so tight quarters are OK. My Volvo 850 wagon is more than fine for me sleeping. I have never slept in it with my GF. The 98 CRV is shorter and a little short when the two of use tried sleeping in it. Anyone know if the 2nd gen CRV or Element is longer inside?

on a side note, are the Element and CRV indentical drive systems and AWD?

I meant to ask if it was a 240. Those are pretty beefy and reasonably popular with the amateur rally crowd.

I think the seats in the element do all kings of neat stuff for sleeping. Fold flat and come out completely. Square is always better for space efficiency. They can be lifted and OME makes a kit for the CRV.

Their are allot of us here in the same boat. We want the mileage and a little more capability than what comes with the current crop of soft roaders. I travel gravel forest roads with not much problems, if it gets too rough I turn around. No big deal, I know my limits.

Yeah, I'd like to tag along on a trail run every so often, but I just can't see owning something that gets less than 20 mpg.

Until then we keep our fingers crossed for a small diesel something with a low range!

I dont think the CRV kit will work on the element. We have a resident Element guy around here. Cant remember his screen name. There is a thread or two on the Element.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal