What is the best “compact” expedition vehicle

rc51kid

Adventurer
i went out an messured the back of our 1st gen CRV. It looks like it is only 5'9" with the front seats slid all the way forward to the back of the hatch door. Even with a sleeping platform i think it might be a little tight. Anyone know how long of a sleeping platform can fit in a Element or 2nd gen CRV?

O2Bob

Observer
Since I have owned a few Elements since 2005 and use them as daily delivery vehicles in the mountains of Colorado I can give you a real world insight.

Don't waste your time, they are great for what they are designed for. That being paved roads, not off-road. They are of light duty design, read fuel economy but still don't get very good mileage because of being a brick with a top-hat. Loaded with passengers, dogs, your gear and a roof top box you will be luck to get 22/23mpg on flat ground at 60mph. In the mountains or into a headwind less and they have to work very hard.

Yes they are reliable and roomy for there size, I love my E's and will always buy them for my business. That said, they are not Toyota tough by any means. Just not burly enough for any type of expedition use. I took a 3 week back country trip through out the southwest and had to replace all four struts/shocks and a $1500.00 rack & pinion when I returned. Did this twice in two years, thank god it was still under warranty! :sombrero:

Do yourself a favor and find a ladder framed vehicle with true 4wd and heavier duty components. Lots of choices to fit your budget. Just stay with a proven truck/suv for best results. Heck I would even consider a Mercedes 300TD even though they are only 2wd. They really are legendary and just might work, not to mention diesel and the unique factor.

Good luck with your quest but you should keep looking....

-R

Last edited:

FreeManDan

Adventurer
I have been looking for the right vehicle for me for a while now. I plan on doing some cross county back packing/biking trips with the GF and 2 dogs. I want to be able to sleep in the vehicle if possible, get decent MPG and explore off road/rough roads and jeep trails.

Sounds like you need a truck witha toper/shell/cap or what ever you call it in your region. I vote GMC canyon, or ford ranger, or toyota taco, maybe nissan but with nissan if you want 4x4 you got to get the v6.

Mr. Optimist

Hey guys thought I would pitch in,

I have a 98 CRV. With the first gen the rear seats can get near flat... I am 6'1" and if you are as tall as I am you sleep sideways, if you had a small pad or mattress it wouldn't be bad.

It isn't true ladder on frame sub, but because it is narrow you can just drive around the bigger rocks. The 4cyl isn't bad, but the auto transmission is a waste of metal, get the manual.

rotor

Observer
I think I would disagree with some of the statements that you need a ladder frame for a "compact" expedition vehicle or that you need a v6 for a 4x4. I see plenty of unibody Jeep XJ's up in the hills and plenty of four cylinder Suzuki Samurai's too.

We used to wheel 4wd Subaru GL's in my younger years and they will go almost anywhere! Now I own a lifted awd Chevy Astro with a light camper interior and a Subaru Forester. Fully loaded for camping the Astro gets 16mpg and the Forester gets from 25-29mpg. When gas prices are high the Astro does not get used. The Forester can go almost anyplace the lifted van can and is probably more reliable...

Seems like Foresters are popular in Australia for offroad use and they probably see more offroad in the PNW than the big trucks do, just a thought.

Rotor

bansil

Adventurer
Normally use the trooper,lot's more room

Clutch issues evening before Lisa and I where to head out for a weekend of exploring wineries...so we used Sylvia

Pots/pans grill and propane on top,everything else inside
2011-10-02175428.jpg

So weekendend getaway,01 Isuzu Rodeo Sport,215HP v6,5spd

I plan on doing some cross county back packing/biking trips with the GF and 2 dogs. I want to be able to sleep in the vehicle if possible, get decent MPG and explore off road/rough roads and jeep trails. This will also more than likely be my DD. I have a short (7 mile) commute to work. So the DD part is not too bad.
Sadly when you want a swiss army knife vehicle, some major compromises may have to occur... Let us focus on what you said in this quote of your OP. 2 adults and 2 dogs (what size dogs?). I think we can agree that the size of the dogs makes a difference... Then you go on to say off-road/rough road and Jeep trails... I am not sure what you mean by Jeep trail, if you mean Moab type trails you just eliminated most (all?) crossovers. What is your budget?

I would personally consider the LandCruiser 80, a long wheel base Jeep (due to space requirements) or a Tacoma. If you compromise in the offroad capability, I really like a Subaru (Forrester or Legacy wagon Outback). Before we left on our drive around the Americas, I drove a Forester WRX for a couple of weeks. The Forester had a CamingLab tent on it and I really liked that car, handled BLM and National Forest trails like a champ. Off topic: I dream of driving the Americas in an WRX Sti... That is MY .02 cents.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
My vote would be a four-door Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker/Suzuki Grand Vitara/Chevrolet Tracker.
- Inexpensive
- Fairly easy to work on
- Fairly easy to find parts
- Reliable (at least mine is)
- Realy 4WD system with t-case
- Decent aftermarket support
The only issue might be sleeping in one.
Just my wholly biased opinion. :)
- Andy

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
3rd Gen 4Runner, hands down. Stock, they'll get 20 highway, if you find a 4cyl/5speed, it'll be slow but get mid 20s. Otherwise, I've seen Ellies in places I never would have expected. They have a huge, hose-out interior, and can be had reasonably nice/cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal