What is this before the diff?

caideN

Bought a van from a dealership sight unseen. It's a 07 Ford E350. Found a lot of extras that the dealer did not list on the for sale ad (Win).

I am new to heavy duty vans and trucks.

What is this right before the diff on the drive shaft? I followed the cable and it led to a hole through the floor board by the driver seat. Next to driver seat is a large bolt thats bolted down... the bolt doesn't look like it acts as a lever or an actuator. But of course I am not sure.

20161106_113149.jpg20161106_114112.jpg20161106_113503.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
It almost looks like a rear driveline disconnect, just not one I've personally ever seen. Would they have been towing thus van with say a motorhome?

caideN

Not sure. This van is a camper conversion with a pop top.

Just did a search on drive line disconnect and you might be right.

Now I still have no idea how to use it.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
It is something to be deleted.
Sure looks like a disconnect. Looks like a problem waiting to happen.
Probably the easiest fix is to just find a normal driveshaft (used junkyard) and put that in. If you have a good driveshaft shop nearby they should be able cut that slip ring stuff off and rebuilt the shaft the right length. Which is more economical? Depends on what's local to you.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
If it fails:
1) the rear driveshaft won't move the vehicle.
2) the driveshaft can swing around wildly taking out the exhaust, fuel and brake lines.
3) could lead to driveline vibrations or worse.

maktruk

Observer
That's exactly what it is, I believe. The cable is pulled and the assembly moves the DS forward and inch or so and holds it in place so that it may spin disconnected from the rear diff while towed. Is this thing AWD?

Yup, google e350 rear coupler disconnect. Images tab has blueprints and all

danfromsyr

Adventurer
http://www.hitchsource.com/remco-drive-shaft-coupling-sku-p-30332.html

driveline-disconnect-for-towing-i5.JPG

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You could really be in a world of pain if you smashed that thing on a rock.

It would take like 30 minutes to remove it and replace with a normal driveshaft, you must be impressively lazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven