What is your choice? powerstroke 6.0, powerstroke 6.4 and Ram3500

gtitonta

I have currently nissan xterra with manual transmission. I want to upgrade to diesel power truck with MANUAL TRANSMISSION.
I know that my choice limits choices. I read many thread in this forum, cummin forum, and powerstroke forum, but I could not decide which one.
I also want to keep emission crap because of legality.
The reason why I want to have manual transmission is that it is easy to work on and much simpler than automatic transmission.
Since most of manual transmission trucks have been disappearing so this gonna be my last truck to keep so I am really hoping that next truck will be easy to get replacement parts and durable.

I know powerstroke 6.4 is just three years production truck so it is going to hard to get specific parts, but the power, interior, and exterior is outstanding. If the engine is durable with emission crap intact, this is my choice.

For powerstroke 6.0, it seems that it will not be lack of supply for replacement parts in future. However, it is getting old so I must replace so many old parts. top of that, I have to upgrade parts for durability such as egr cooler, oil cooler remote, water pump etc.
I can work on my car by myself so I do not worry about labor, but same time costs of those parts are not that cheap even though I get powerstroke 6.0 under 10k.

For ram 3500, ram 3500 seems less work, and also durable engine even though emission crap is intact as long as cleaning egr cooler and good maintenance. I am planning to get after 2013 model since DEF seems helping a lot for mileage and durability. up front price is much higher than other ford truck though.

The thing is ford seems nice large space in back and front since larger leg space in both side and also seat size is 4-5 inch bigger than ram so It seems that these factors contribute comfortableness comparing with RAM which is similar leg space, but less seat size.

Overall, I trust ford over RAM, but RAM is newer and less problematic in future to me. However, I like Ford over RAM because it seems less annoying repairs and less electric gremlin.

So my advantage is that I can fix my car by myself and also can access dealer scanner so I do not worry about repair part, but I am more concerning which truck is durable and financially better choice to me.

I am planning to use future truck as work truck and also towing so I need diesel truck. I know that truck with auto trans has more many option, but I hate driving auto trans. I owned one car in my entire life, and I was thinking about getting new car JUST one week after I got auto trans car. I regretted a lot.

I appreciate your input and sharing your knowledge. thanks

Betarocker

Adventurer
Definitely not the 6.4PSD. If 2020 was an engine, it would be the 6.4. I had a 6.0L and it had issues too, but they could somewhat be dealt with. I prefer the Superduty to the Ram, but the older 5.9 common rail 6bt is a good engine. Destroked is an option. Find a Ford roller and swap and Cummins.

gtitonta

So pretty much wither powerstroke 6.0 or ram3500, then??

Do you guys know if there is another infamous parts likely break down other than front suspension? I know that head gasket issue and injector issues. Is there any cons for RAM3500 over powerstroke?

RAM3500 from 2013 is new upgraded frame so I am kind of wondering if it is better than powerstroke 6.0 frame??

GeorgeHayduke

I made this exact same switch, went from a 2010 Xterra offroad with manual trans to a 2016 RAM 2500 with 6.7 Cummins and manual trans. I think the cab on the RAM is a great size, big enough for passengers, dogs and other crap but the wheelbase and turn radius are surprisingly small compared to the Fords. The 2013+ interior in the RAM really is a lot nicer than the generation of Fords you’re looking at, and the frame is way stiffer than the Fords too. The 2013+ RAM sheet metal does seem a little more susceptible to hail damage than the Fords.

Couple things to keep in mind: the Cummins is seriously detuned if you get the g56 transmission and the torque management really makes it slow off the line. You can tune it (lots of emissions intact tuning available now) but plan on an upgraded clutch if you do so. To be honest it’s not nearly as much fun to drive as the Xterra was.

My RAM has been flawless for 60,000 miles, and I went through two front diffs on the Xterra in the same amount of miles and am not easy on vehicles. Rock solid reliability from the Cummins and no issues with the emissions or DEF. 285/75/R18 tires fit on the stock suspension without rubbing and I get a hand calculated 18 mpg. It’s been all over the San Juans and done Engineer Pass with a popup camper on it without breaking a sweat.

The 2500s are coil sprung and articulate decently well but suck if you’re planning on a slide-in hardside camper (too much sway). The leaf springs on a 3500 are better for hauling heavy. Pretty sure the 3500s came with a limited slip rear diff across the board and its option on the 2500s. Fords can be had with a rear e-locker.

If you’re really set on the manual trans, I would only consider the 6.7 Cummins or go back to a 7.3 Powerstroke. Nobody wants a 6.0 or 6.4 powerjoke...

gtitonta

I made this exact same switch, went from a 2010 Xterra offroad with manual trans to a 2016 RAM 2500 with 6.7 Cummins and manual trans. I think the cab on the RAM is a great size, big enough for passengers, dogs and other crap but the wheelbase and turn radius are surprisingly small compared to the Fords. The 2013+ interior in the RAM really is a lot nicer than the generation of Fords you’re looking at, and the frame is way stiffer than the Fords too. The 2013+ RAM sheet metal does seem a little more susceptible to hail damage than the Fords.

Couple things to keep in mind: the Cummins is seriously detuned if you get the g56 transmission and the torque management really makes it slow off the line. You can tune it (lots of emissions intact tuning available now) but plan on an upgraded clutch if you do so. To be honest it’s not nearly as much fun to drive as the Xterra was.

My RAM has been flawless for 60,000 miles, and I went through two front diffs on the Xterra in the same amount of miles and am not easy on vehicles. Rock solid reliability from the Cummins and no issues with the emissions or DEF. 285/75/R18 tires fit on the stock suspension without rubbing and I get a hand calculated 18 mpg. It’s been all over the San Juans and done Engineer Pass with a popup camper on it without breaking a sweat.

The 2500s are coil sprung and articulate decently well but suck if you’re planning on a slide-in hardside camper (too much sway). The leaf springs on a 3500 are better for hauling heavy. Pretty sure the 3500s came with a limited slip rear diff across the board and its option on the 2500s. Fords can be had with a rear e-locker.

If you’re really set on the manual trans, I would only consider the 6.7 Cummins or go back to a 7.3 Powerstroke. Nobody wants a 6.0 or 6.4 powerjoke...

thanks for honest opinion. hahaha. I have exactly same model white 2010 Xterra offroad with manual trans. Thing I do not like about xterra is that MPG and slow once load so many stuffs like gold cart battery, heavy duty front and rear bumpers, towing. MPG is ridiculous and gas pig...... That is another reason why I am thing about changing.

I know that 2500 has coil spring in back, and it would be nice comfortable ride. However, payload is quite low comparing with 3500 or f250. So I would take ram3500 drw which gives much higher payload.
Another thing about ram is that RAM does not be equipped rear and front locker like powerstroke does. RAM 3500 has just LS. This is another concern, especially driving in snow or mud area. I know that I could easily install front hub lock which costs around $1000. Powerstroke already has rear e-locker and front locker hub.

well, it is quite decision for me.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Do none of you have a concept of scale and weight?

6.0 is crap and weighs 2k lbs
6.4 is crap and weighs 2k lbs
6.7 is good but half the length of an Xterra. And weighs 2k lbs.

if you truly want to go diesel the only viable options are Cummins R2.8 and VW TDI.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m reasonably certain that the only VW TDI going into a full ton work truck will be riding in the back on a trip to the junkyard.

CodyY

Explorer
I’m reasonably certain that the only VW TDI going into a full ton work truck will be riding in the back on a trip to the junkyard.
I glanced over the first of the post and thought it was a diesel swap into Xterra thread, I was like ******. Then read it fully and deleted my comment, but apparently it didn't delete. My bad.

Disregard that reply, I'll edit it.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
To the OP, I understand your desire for a manual trans, I’ve even swapped them into quite a few trucks and a car... not always easy. However, you will see big power derating to keep them alive, possibly losing many of the modern diesel benefits. in over 120k miles of driving my 6.0 F250 I worried frequently about the engine, turbo, and associated emission control systems. I had the top of the engine torn down at least 3 times, and the turbo cleaned out at least 5 times. The truck left me stranded several times, twice to the tune of thousands of dollars. Eventually I sold the truck for a steal.

I thought about the automatic transmission precisely twice in that time. Every 50k miles I had the fluid flushed and filters changed. Never worried about it otherwise. You might have a lot more options if you embrace your fears.

gtitonta

To the OP, I understand your desire for a manual trans, I’ve even swapped them into quite a few trucks and a car... not always easy. However, you will see big power derating to keep them alive, possibly losing many of the modern diesel benefits. in over 120k miles of driving my 6.0 F250 I worried frequently about the engine, turbo, and associated emission control systems. I had the top of the engine torn down at least 3 times, and the turbo cleaned out at least 5 times. The truck left me stranded several times, twice to the tune of thousands of dollars. Eventually I sold the truck for a steal.

I thought about the automatic transmission precisely twice in that time. Every 50k miles I had the fluid flushed and filters changed. Never worried about it otherwise. You might have a lot more options if you embrace your fears.

Thanks for comments. That is why I am kind of worrying about 6.0 powerstroke engine. I can fix the problems, but I can not fix in middle of nowhere. I even concern about durability of "bulletproof" 6.0 powerstroke (stud, egr cooler upgrade, remote oil cooler, coolant bypass etc). I feel like that bulletproof 6.0 is ok for daily drive and small towing, but I am not sure if I could use them for heavy towing.........
thanks for comments!

gtitonta

I glanced over the first of the post and thought it was a diesel swap into Xterra thread, I was like ******. Then read it fully and deleted my comment, but apparently it didn't delete. My bad.

Disregard that reply, I'll edit it.

LOL. Swapping cummmin or powerstroke in Xterra would be cool, but the looks will be so fugly........

CodyY

Explorer
Thanks for comments. That is why I am kind of worrying about 6.0 powerstroke engine. I can fix the problems, but I can not fix in middle of nowhere. I even concern about durability of "bulletproof" 6.0 powerstroke (stud, egr cooler upgrade, remote oil cooler, coolant bypass etc). I feel like that bulletproof 6.0 is ok for daily drive and small towing, but I am not sure if I could use them for heavy towing.........
thanks for comments!
I was shopping vans vs trucks heavily last year, spoke extensively with diesel experts and Chris at Ujoint. Basically the 6.0 (with major bulletproofing work) is ....ok-ish. Nobody seems to trust the 6.4.

I went with a 3valve V10 F250 and for my uses it's great. (Low miles, local towing, looks good and carries a lot of gear for my business.) I pay for it in fuel mileage but at 5-7k miles/yr, it would take a VERY long time to offset the additional $15k initial cost and additional fuel/maintenance costs.

That said, I'll probably look at a 24v Fummins conversion at some point. My chassis and suspension is all set and it would be a good project for my shop.
c8cfe0c9a523ef8280865f2f60de10eb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater