What kind of welder?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Find out which 140 model it is and see if he has the regulator and hoses to run gas. If not, you'd probably be paying too much for a used machine.

Casper

Adventurer
I have spent the last several years trying to get into a welding class, to NO avail. All because of my schedule. So, a little over a year ago I started doing research on what it would take to teach myself the basics. Here is what I have come up with.

1. Machines, buy the best you can afford, and name brand. Miller, Lincoln, Hobart are what I narrowed it down to. After much searching I decided on the Millermatic 211. Runs off 110 or 220, and has great reviews everywhere. It is pricey, but I found that if you go to your local welding suppier, preferably one of the smaller shops you can get a better deal on them. For the welder, some gloves, tank of argon/co2 mix, autodarkening helmet (Miller), 3 10lbs spools of wire, welding cart and 3 packages of new tips I paid just under $1500. And no, you do not need all this to start.

2. Instruction. I had a buddy spend roughly 5 minutes with me showing me some welds. From there I bought a few books. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weld-Motorbooks-Workshop-Todd-Bridigum/dp/076033174X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280178603&sr=8-4"]This one is the one I have learned the most from[/ame]. It is very easy to read, good for the "How to weld for dummies" aspect, and has TONS of detailed photos. Trust me when I say pictures are key in learning.

Once all this was done and purchased, I started to practice. Spent a day running beads and such. My first reall project was a welding bench, This was the third time I have turned the welder on.

Started with this:

IMG_2691.jpg

And ended with this:

IMG_2734.jpg

With a few steps inbetween.

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

A few of my very first welds, not the greatest but a start.

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

And a few of the last welds. Getting a tad better.

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

And the final product:

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

Of course, you have to see the welder to:

Finishedshelfoncart.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

So, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share. I am EXTREEMLY happy I saved my $$ for the extra year and got the better welder. It will serve me well for many, many years to come. Plus, it makes welding almost easy. I may not be a pro, and I will not weld on my suspension parts yet, but I will say I am very proud of my skills thus far.

So, good luck and jump in it. I love it and now only wonder why it took me so long to try it.

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Also check with any welding supply shops in your area, you can often pick up a demo or rental machine at a great price.

I have a Hobart Handler 140. It's a 110V rig, and does great for everything I need to do.

Even 1/2" stuff, with beveled edges and multiple passes. Multiple passes give you a stronger weld anyway.

Also get a machine with gas, or can have gas added to it. It's so much cleaner than fluxcore. And you can get the small bottles, which are easy to transport. I have a large bottle for the shop (4-5 ft tall) and a small bottle for taking the welder anywhere else. (maybe 2.5 ft tall)

Finding one under $400 will be tough, let alone finding 'the whole package' for that price. Unless you get lucky at an estate sale:snorkel:

Having done welding for a living (pipefitter) I got to use a lot of different machines. So I'll 2nd (or 3rd-4th) the idea of sticking with a name brand.

Miller/Hobart (same company now) Lincoln, stay away from the 'cheap' welders, or one that is 'flux core only'.

A great first project is to buy some steel, some wheels, and design and build a cart for the welder and bottle:coffeedrink:

The 220 rigs are nice, but the 110V will do what you need it to for around the shop.

ratkin

Adventurer
This motorcycle trailer was with the 212 but could have been made with the 140

DSC_3827.jpg

(Sorry for the thread hi-jack!) Where did you source the aluminum 5-bar checker plate here in the States?

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
(Sorry for the thread hi-jack!) Where did you source the aluminum 5-bar checker plate here in the States?

I was in Oman !- have welder will travel !

juicebox

Adventurer
I have a Hobart Handler 140. It's a 110V rig, and does great for everything I need to do.

Finding one under $400 will be tough, let alone finding 'the whole package' for that price. Unless you get lucky at an estate sale:snorkel:

X2

I just got the hobart handler 140, I got it less than a month ago for $450, shipped to my door, no tax, brand new. Came with gas nozzles and hoses and stuff. I am pretty excited about it. I did alot of research before I bought it and I thought it was the best value for what I need.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
In theory, if you were to find a 6-50 receptacle to fit the "factory" 220V adapter, the machine would blow up before the circuit breaker tripped.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here. The purpose of the circuit breaker is to protect the circuit installed in the building, not the equipment connected to it.

Casper: Nice work. Very successful self-taught welding. Not everybody comes out with results like that. The difference is somewhat due to natural born ability, but also requires a large amount of "give a ****". ;) You have to care enough to get good results and not be satisfied with toothpaste welds.

008.jpg

Nullifier

Expedition Leader

Cool Big Red!!! Used to have one of those back in the day. Rode it all over croom and other ohv trail down here in Fl.

Oh and I am just getting set up now. Completed my 220 wiring in the garage for my miller 185. Picked it up for $450 with owner tank, auto helmet, gloves, and a few spools of wire. Guy had it for a few years and never used it since he did not get any 220 run to his garage. Did my first work repairing a trailer 2 weeks ago and am going to repair another one this week. Once I get back from vaca. I will build a table.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Get yourself into an entry level professional machine at least. Lincoln 140C (not the 140T from Canadian Tire). Though, the 140T will still be better than some junk from Princesss Auto if you are that limited.

Find out which 140 model it is and see if he has the regulator and hoses to run gas. If not, you'd probably be paying too much for a used machine.

Well, the guy returned my email and said he wasn't sure exactly what model it was, other than repeating that it was the Lincoln 140.
I asked about the gas lines etc. and he said he does have them.
He also said he bought the unit from Canadian Tire, so I'm guessing it is the lesser quality unit (140T).
On the CT website, they list that unit as about $650 brand new.

I think I'll pursue this one and try to get it for 300 even, unless anyone says I should just stay far away from it?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Well, the guy returned my email and said he wasn't sure exactly what model it was, other than repeating that it was the Lincoln 140.
I asked about the gas lines etc. and he said he does have them.
He also said he bought the unit from Canadian Tire, so I'm guessing it is the lesser quality unit (140T).
On the CT website, they list that unit as about $650 brand new.

I think I'll pursue this one and try to get it for 300 even, unless anyone says I should just stay far away from it?

If it's as advertised and you can get it for $300 go for it. It'll be plenty good enough to learn on without much investement.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Not quite sure what you're getting at here. The purpose of the circuit breaker is to protect the circuit installed in the building, not the equipment connected to it.

Correct, but the equipment still needs to be properly matched with the circuit/outlet to be safe. Escpecially when running 220V above 20A.

it is possible that some how the welder could malfunction and draw more than the specifed total load, and if it was plugged into a 50A circuit vs. a 30A circuit, the breaker would not trip until it was too late. meanwhile, your welder would have melted down.

Is this kind of like how a computer that draws 5 amps is plugged into a 15 amp circuit? Ditto your television, washing machine, light bulbs, etc...

Matching the circuit rating to the device has nothing to do with safety. In fact, you're better off wiring for more load than the device will really draw. Operating a 15 amp circuit at 15 amps for a long time can cause problems over time.

BlackWidow

Observer
This is my Welder a Miller 302G I have a high freq box for it so that I can weld Aluminum. I mostly TIG weld. I am a welder by trade and although i have my own welding business I mostly only weld at work and for myself. I got tired of welding 70+ hours a week. So now i mainly weld at work and for me and friends. I just sold a Lincoln 140 MIG I mainly used it only for tack up and then would finish weld it with TIG. I beleive most home users can easily get away with a 140 or similar wire feed.

cid__0731001228.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism