What to do?

Dalko43

Explorer
This is SO true.
FJCruiser (bumper, Winch, Rack, RTT, Rear bumper gear etc. the Engine ran like it was going to explode, 11 MPG average. Slowed down on hills on the freeway and could not use cruise control (shifted to much)
FJ60 Bumpers, winch, RTT rack, gear etc. Forget it, 3rd gear is your friend 99% of the time, what gas mileage. Stock it can barely get out of it's own way. Loaded, a Honda Z50 has more pickup.
F150, towing a 7000lbs trailer, I pass people going up hill. gas mileage is horrible, but such is life.

For me have never cared about gas mileage. I understand most people do. My father told me something when I was 16 and complained I HAD to work on my car.
"Owning a vehicle is a privilege, not a right. You can always take transit. So stop complaining about having to work on it and enjoy fixing your vehicle."
I live by that premises for fuel as well.

Your father sounds like a wise man.

Your experiences match up with my own. I love Toyota's gasoline engines in their trucks and SUV's; they're nothing special in terms of raw performance, but they're reliable, robust and easy to work on (generally speaking). However, they seem to need only the slightest of excuses to get mediocre to poor mpg. The 4.0L v6 in my stock 4runner is rated for 22 mpg highway and 18 city...I'm lucky if I can break 19mpg even when I do 50%-60% highway driving and 15-16 mpg is not abnormal during pure city driving in the winter. I can only imagine how bad it would be if I had bigger tires, armor and a winch on there...lol.

That and the acceleration is already pretty mediocre as it stands in stock form (not that I bought the truck for fast 0-60 times). If I were going to do a month long drive through the remote parts of Northern Canada (which I'd like to do at some point in my life) and have to haul all kinds of gear and supplies, a full-sized pickup (F-150 or Tundra) with a torquey gasoline V8 (with extra fuel cans in the bed) would be preferred, a HD diesel pickup would be ideal. The trend here in North America is to throw 33's and everything out of the ARB or AEV catalog onto a used gasoline Tacoma, FJ Cruiser or Jeep; you have a rig that is at or slightly over GVWR and can barely get 280 miles out of a full tank without strapping extra cans to the roof and rear. IMHO, there are better platforms out there, especially when it comes to handling the weight.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I vote keep the truck as well. You already said you're going too...

Why not grab a 5k Jeep Wrangler and build it up with your son and tow it behind the truck. Or build it up for Father/Son jeep outings??? A 5.3 Vortec fits under the hood of a TJ really nicely.

Cheers,
Jorge

Clutch

<---Pass
I vote keep the truck as well. You already said you're going too...

Why not grab a 5k Jeep Wrangler and build it up with your son and tow it behind the truck. Or build it up for Father/Son jeep outings??? A 5.3 Vortec fits under the hood of a TJ really nicely.

Cheers,
Jorge

Save yourself some busted knuckles and time... ;)

Last edited:

Swat pup

Just got in from another loooong day. You guys (and girls) are great, this site is the best. Thanks for all of the replies. I'm keeping the truck, now to start working on it. Again Thanks to all and you don't know how much I appreciate each of you. Tracy

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Keep the truck,find a nice used popup camper and enjoy that sucker.
The camper's easily removed so you can retain it's purpose as a truck.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Just got in from another loooong day. You guys (and girls) are great, this site is the best. Thanks for all of the replies. I'm keeping the truck, now to start working on it. Again Thanks to all and you don't know how much I appreciate each of you. Tracy

We knew you'd do the right thing in the end! If you ever "have" to use a Jeep, go borrow the one your son owns. You know he will be borrowing your truck more often!

p nut

butter
No doubt!

Ooooh....we do harder stuff than that on single track...those passes are considered a "rest take it easy day" from the other trails we do. There is a trail we ride from Taylor Park to Ouray...one section has something like 100 switch backs on it...that day kicks yer ********.

Taylor Park has some good ones...Star, Block and Tackle, Timberline...Double Top (has a gnarly off camber that has a loooong way down, if you have a get off on that little section)

Stuff from the web.

"Seat Time" has some great dirt biking videos of Colorado.

This is taken from that off camber on Double Top (pic from the web, will have to dig and find mine)....looooong way down....we had a guy in the group loose his bike over it...took better part of the day to get back on the trail.

That looks like a LONG day on the bike! 1WD up slick stuff--that would give you a workout. I'll stick to 4WD ATV's :D

Clutch

<---Pass
That looks like a LONG day on the bike! 1WD up slick stuff--that would give you a workout. I'll stick to 4WD ATV's :D

There are some days, I ask myself..."why in the hell am I doing this!? This is fun, right!?" :D

Tell ya, it is one of the few things I do, that beats and breaks me down...and it still puts a smile on my face. When my back was really hurting bad, could barely walk...but still managed to throw a leg over the bike and go ride. Must be insane... :ylsmoke:

p nut

butter
... However, they seem to need only the slightest of excuses to get mediocre to poor mpg. The 4.0L v6 in my stock 4runner is rated for 22 mpg highway and 18 city...I'm lucky if I can break 19mpg even when I do 50%-60% highway driving and 15-16 mpg is not abnormal during pure city driving in the winter. I can only imagine how bad it would be if I had bigger tires, armor and a winch on there...lol...

That's really perplexing. Considering Toyota is very competitive in the sedan/subcompact car market where they get great MPG. Why doesn't that bleed over to trucks? Ford 3.5 V6's get 24MPG on the highway (all stock), in a heavier vehicle and larger stock tires (32"). I understand the reliability thing, but that's not a factor on the engines. Those 3.5's are pretty stout. I'd put it up against the Toyota 4.0L. Both work horses. Even the 5.7L--nice engine. Pretty miserable MPG. Just don't get it.

There are some days, I ask myself..."why in the hell am I doing this!? This is fun, right!?" :D

Tell ya, it is one of the few things I do, that beats and breaks me down...and it still puts a smile on my face. When my back was really hurting bad, could barely walk...but still managed to throw a leg over the bike and go ride. Must be insane... :ylsmoke:

I say the same thing riding my bicycle. Miles from home, out of food, out of water. "Fun".

Swat pup

I'll tell you guys one thing, seeing these pictures and listening to all of the stories, I'm getting old. Makes chasing bad guys for a living sound easy. I really enjoy this site. Thanks Tracy

Clutch

<---Pass
That's really perplexing. Considering Toyota is very competitive in the sedan/subcompact car market where they get great MPG. Why doesn't that bleed over to trucks? Ford 3.5 V6's get 24MPG on the highway (all stock), in a heavier vehicle and larger stock tires (32"). I understand the reliability thing, but that's not a factor on the engines. Those 3.5's are pretty stout. I'd put it up against the Toyota 4.0L. Both work horses. Even the 5.7L--nice engine. Pretty miserable MPG. Just don't get it.

Because Toyota gave up on the US truck market.

They are milking that Tacoma for all is worth. Think they took a page or two from the Ford E-Series Van book....

I say the same thing riding my bicycle. Miles from home, out of food, out of water. "Fun".

Gaaaad...the old mountain bike days...down right abusive! Have I ever told you the story where my bud and I tried to do a century on the mountain bikes in 110º AZ heat....I got heat stroke half way through, wasn't pretty...

I'll tell you guys one thing, seeing these pictures and listening to all of the stories, I'm getting old. Makes chasing bad guys for a living sound easy. I really enjoy this site. Thanks Tracy

Oh good! And you're welcome...I feel bad sometimes, since I tend wander waaaay the heck off topic. ;) Right p-nut!? :D

A lot of my dirt bike riding buds are LEO's, the stories those guys tell...think they use the dirt bikes as stress relief. One guy is DEA dealing with all the border drug trafficking and what not BS...guy is insane on a bike.

Last edited:

p nut

butter

They are milking that Tacoma for all is worth. Think they took a page or two from the Ford E-Series Van book....

They've got to be sweating a little bit with the Canyon/Colorado's good sales and the new ZR2 coming out, as well as the Ranger now coming back.

...Gaaaad...the old mountain bike days...down right abusive! Have I ever told you the story where my bud and I tried to do a century on the mountain bikes in 110º AZ heat....I got heat stroke half way through, wasn't pretty...

I've never ridden in AZ, but close to in So Utah. That's brutal. On the flip side, one ride I did up here (60 or so miles), it was in the single digits. My feet, my hands, face were frozen. Tired and hungry, and thirsty, I reach for the bottle....frozen solid. Thought about thawing it out in my jacket, but...nope...just too cold!

Oh good! And you're welcome...I feel bad sometimes, since I tend wander waaaay the heck off topic. ;) Right p-nut!? :D...

I don't know what you're talking about. My posts are always on topic.....to your topic. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
They've got to be sweating a little bit with the Canyon/Colorado's good sales and the new ZR2 coming out, as well as the Ranger now coming back.

They got to be, but will they change? Reading on the Wander the West forum, there is a guy on there that traded up to diesel Colorado from a Tacoma, said the Chevy blows the doors off for hauling his FWC.

25 mpg, with the camper!

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/...diesel/page-5?hl=+chevy++colorado#entry156573

Prices are coming down on the Colorado diesels, about the same price as a Tacoma, maybe a little cheaper. Just trade it in before the warranty is up. ;)

I've never ridden in AZ, but close to in So Utah. That's brutal. On the flip side, one ride I did up here (60 or so miles), it was in the single digits. My feet, my hands, face were frozen. Tired and hungry, and thirsty, I reach for the bottle....frozen solid. Thought about thawing it out in my jacket, but...nope...just too cold!

That is when I first moved there and didn't know any better...that was a bad day.

60 miles in the cold...sounds like long day, and yet we continue to get back on the damn thing. :D

I don't know what you're talking about. My posts are always on topic.....to your topic. :D

*chuckle*

Dalko43

Explorer

The Ford 3.5l V6? Are you referring to their new twin turbo? If so, that totally makes sense why it would get 24mpg highway...turbo's are generally a bit more fuel efficient than naturally aspirated engines. Though in my experience they really shine when it comes to highway cruising; under any kind of load (acceleration, towing) the mpg for turbo's tends to go down a lot.

As for Toyota's trucks getting mediocre mpg, that's been the norm for a while now (as it has been for pretty much all gasoline-powered trucks). Put a 4.0L V6 or 5.7L v8 behind a big, blocky body and heavy frame...throw any kind of weight or bigger tires on that and yeah your mpg (which was already mediocre to begin with) starts to tank. Toyota has started to put 6-speed auto's into some of these vehicles, which has helped the mpg a little, but not much.

Unlike a sedan or small passenger crossover, where weight and drag can be minimized for max efficiency, BOF trucks tend to have greater amounts of inefficiency: they'll always be a bit heavier and lacking in aerodynamics compared to a smaller car; they tend to have bigger tires to rotate; they're less compact with higher COG. Updating the gasoline engines to be more "efficient" and putting more gears into the transmission will only do so much for that kind of platform. The only way to really make significant gains in efficiency for those kinds of vehicles is to use alternative power sources: diesels; CNG; hybrids; electric; ect. And I think Toyota in North America is light years away from that, at least as it pertains to trucks.

Maybe not "gave up," but rather they've gotten complacent, especially with the Tacoma. The new one is basically the same basic design they've been using for over a decade now, the big difference is that they're using a crossover derived 3.5l V6 (I question whether that is a step forward or a step backwards for truck uses) instead of the the 4.0L v6. Meanwhile you've got Chevy putting out a diesel Colorado and a Ford Ranger (with a rumored diesel option) right around the corner.

p nut

butter
They got to be, but will they change? Reading on the Wander the West forum, there is a guy on there that traded up to diesel Colorado from a Tacoma, said the Chevy blows the doors off for hauling his FWC.

25 mpg, with the camper!

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/...diesel/page-5?hl=+chevy++colorado#entry156573

Prices are coming down on the Colorado diesels, about the same price as a Tacoma, maybe a little cheaper. Just trade it in before the warranty is up. ;)

That's pretty good mileage with the camper (although I've got to take that 1 sample with a grain of salt). I'm sure they get great mileage, but again, not enough to offset the diesel cost of acquisition and operation. We've been over it. yadda yadda

The Ford 3.5l V6? Are you referring to their new twin turbo? If so, that totally makes sense why it would get 24mpg highway...turbo's are generally a bit more fuel efficient than naturally aspirated engines. Though in my experience they really shine when it comes to highway cruising; under any kind of load (acceleration, towing) the mpg for turbo's tends to go down a lot.

As for Toyota's trucks getting mediocre mpg, that's been the norm for a while now (as it has been for pretty much all gasoline-powered trucks). Put a 4.0L V6 or 5.7L v8 behind a big, blocky body and heavy frame...throw any kind of weight or bigger tires on that and yeah your mpg (which was already mediocre to begin with) starts to tank. Toyota has started to put 6-speed auto's into some of these vehicles, which has helped the mpg a little, but not much.

Unlike a sedan or small passenger crossover, where weight and drag can be minimized for max efficiency, BOF trucks tend to have greater amounts of inefficiency: they'll always be a bit heavier and lacking in aerodynamics compared to a smaller car; they tend to have bigger tires to rotate; they're less compact with higher COG. Updating the gasoline engines to be more "efficient" and putting more gears into the transmission will only do so much for that kind of platform. The only way to really make significant gains in efficiency for those kinds of vehicles is to use alternative power sources: diesels; CNG; hybrids; electric; ect. And I think Toyota in North America is light years away from that, at least as it pertains to trucks...

No, I was talking about the N/A 3.5L, not TT. I understand weight and aero issues of trucks. I'm not comparing trucks to sedans. My point was, comparing a FULL SIZE V6 (F150) to a mid-size V6 (Tacoma), Toyota still falls behind. Even F150/Silverado/Ram V8's compared to Tundra, they are WAAAY behind in MPG. They've all got brick like aerodynamics and similar weight/size. They can't even match, let alone come close to the competition? They're doing well in this arena in the small passenger vehicles. Hope that R&D makes it up to the trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk