What to do?

Swat pup

Thanks to everyone. I just put new tires on my Ram, Toyo at2 285/75r18. The same size as 35s but on 11.5 wide, I wanted BFG ko2s but they did not come in this size and I prefer a little skinner tire. I also ordered a camper shell from are. So I'll be keeping her. Next is a new front and rear bumper with a new Warn. I need to work more. Thanks again to everyone and to this great site. Tracy

p nut

butter
I'm running KO2's (275/70/18), and they've performed well, but I've heard great things about those Toyo's as well.

Just curious, why the new bumpers?

Swat pup

I put a dent in my stock rear bumper, not too big but I know it's there, ask me what happens when you don't check behind someone after they say "I hooked up the trailer". Anyway I can get a Ranch Hand rear as cheap as a new factory so I thought I would do the front and put a winch in it. I hate more weight up front but I could use the extra protection as I do live a heavy deer population area. I like the Toyo's so far, I thought about the RT's and I might go that way next time if BFG does not get the size I want. The new tires have a pretty good hum but not too bad, I expected this since I was used to the factory street tires. As a side note the Toyo's took very little weight and balanced very well, time will tell as this my first set of Toyo's. I did look to make sure they are made in the USA but I'm sure money goes over seas. At least someone here has a job building them.

TwinStick

Explorer
IMHO, post #2 sums it up. Build the truck. It's paid for. It has the capacity. It is a truck & as such, can do truck things, that a Jeep can not. If you want the Rubicons stuff, then build your truck or get a Power Wagon & save your money for gas cause your gonna need it, lol. Easy peasy. But I am biased, lol.

2008 Dodge QC G-56 Power Wagon.

Jim Oaks

Observer
I've owned a 1982 2WD Sportsmobile (hate myself for selling it), a highly modified 1996 Ranger that I wheeled, but could still be a daily driver, and Excursion, an Expedition, and currently have a 2010 F-350. I've traveled in all of them, and they've all had their advantages depending on the type of trip I was taking. You have to realistically think about where you want to go in your travels, what you need to take along, and what you want your sleeping accommodations to be if you're camping. You also want to make sure the wife is comfortable if you want her to look forward to these trips. If you've done much offroading, you know how much a fullsize diesel weighs, and how impractical they can be as an offroad truck. Doesn't mean people don't use them for that, but they have their limits. Will you passenger's have a heart attack going across someplace like Black Bear Pass in a big Dodge diesel? LOL

Once you realistically look at where you want to go, you can hopefully pick the right vehicle. Maybe a JKU with a utility trailer for hauling things on your property, that you could also stick a tent on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk