What Tundra do you recommend?

dstefan

I went with a ’21 DC SR5 from my 2009 Tacoma. 50% for being able to handle a light poptop camper and 50% to get some comfort in seating as well as the 6.5’ bed. I made sure to get the premium SR5 package to get the 38 gal gas and upgraded seating. The platform has been fully tested for a decade which was really important for me as I go remote places.

I have loved the truck. Dead reliable and actually more capable as my well-built Tacoma. Turning circle is only 44’ vs 40 for the Taco and 49-50 for the domestic 1/2 tons. I once turned around on the Flint switch backs in Canyonlands when it rained to avoid the Bentonite clay below. It only took a 3 point turn. I have zero problem going on trails that I thought might be tougher with a bigger truck. You do have to watch the brush a little more, but it’s only 2.5 more inches wide on either side.

True, I have modded it to be more capable and off-set the size dynamics (eg wheelbase, approach and departure angles) , but if you really off-road your rig you’ll do that with anything and the 2nd gen Tundras have PLENTY of options. Given the base cost of the truck new in ’20 and the cost of the mods, I could have bought a TRD Pro, but now I have a more capable vehicle than that, and could afford to build it how I wanted it since I didn’t waste money on Toyota’s half baked performance stuff that most people replace anyway.

I would have kept my Tacoma and figured out the seating problem (I’m 6’3”) with some Scheel-Mann seats, but I wanted the camper. I have never regretted the Tundra for a minute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal