What van do you recommend for me + dogs?

Sleam

Explorer
I've been reading and researching but thought I'd also just add a post here too. I'm planning on driving from NM to AK for a six month trip next year.
Myself - 5'9 height. Plus the three dogs. (Collie and akita mixes so each is 60 - 70#s).
Good ground clearance (my dirt road if nothing else!). Automatic. Kitchen, fold out table and bed. No bathroom needed really. Bear proof!
Somewhere for us to live, drive only a couple hundred miles a day is my goal, that is lots of stops!
Rainy Alaska days, somewhere we can relax and be comfortable.

Thats it mostly. Oh, a budget of $10K.

Lastly, I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III RHD 88" I'd be selling to buy us a home for the trip...
Thanks everyone for ideas!

DSC00882.jpg

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Obligatory response of Ford with U-Joint, GM AWD, Astro AWD and VW Syncro.
Of those, $10k will only get you in one: Astro AWD. I think that would be uncomfortably snug with me and 200 lbs of dog for 6 months.
If a driven front axle isn't necessary and just ground clearance will suit you, most any van can be made to work.
Next think about your desire to stand up inside. The more time planned inside, the more important this becomes. With prolonged cold and wet weather expected, I'd consider it mandatory. 10k will only get you a used van with a raised roof already installed or a used top to install yourself, etc. You're not getting a van and any sort of top factory installed for $10k total. Shop used and frankly, find something already taller than stock.
My personal recommendation is to find a used fullsize van with a raised roof already installed and fit good all-terrain tires 32-33" tall and get started installing the kitchen and bed. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:

mikracer

Adventurer
Is $10k your budget for the vehicle or is that all in? If you need 4x4/AWD, I think the only option in your price range would be an AWD Chevy Express or GMC Savana. I've only seen a couple of them in the $9k range, which wouldn't leave you with much for modifications.

If you don't need 4x4, then you can you find Ford conversion vans all day long with raised roofs for $6k. You could put a simple puck style coil spring spacer in the front and clear 265's. If you could find one with a limited slip differential, then that would be a bonus.

I have 3 dogs that are 70 lbs each and I would want an extended body van if I were going to live with them in a vehicle.

Van_on_the_Run

I think an Astro AWD with a pop top may fit the qualifications you are looking for. Having your own sleeping loft area above and having the dogs sleep below may be a nice feature especially if you have been out hiking all day in Alaska and the dogs are soaked and muddy. You can remove the sleeping platforms, which make the up the loft area, so you can stand up and walk around the entire back area of the van behind the front seats. I have been more than happy with my Astro since adding the pop top. Good luck with your search. I highly recommend checking out Overland Expo in AZ in May if you are looking for ideas for your adventure next year.

IMG_1420.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg

AWD/4WD... Meh.. couple inch lift, all terrain tires, pack some tire chains - maybe a rear locker. go cheap, go big, go far. gut the seats, nice cooler, house battery, futon mattress or cot, propane heater. conversion van with high top best bang-for-the-leaving-for-Alaska buck... strip the running boards & add steel wheels. the more time you spend massaging the perfect ride is less time spent in a roadside bar on the Alaskan highway:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Seri...aa1d79df8&item=251823365624&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Seri...cf2ec66e7&item=261773616871&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Seri...0f5f8b28c&item=141565670028&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-E...6344566dc&item=301524674268&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
AWD/4WD... Meh.. couple inch lift, all terrain tires, pack some tire chains - maybe a rear locker. go cheap, go big, go far. gut the seats, nice cooler, house battery, futon mattress or cot, propane heater. conversion van with high top best bang-for-the-leaving-for-Alaska buck... strip the running boards & add steel wheels. the more time you spend massaging the perfect ride is less time spent in a roadside bar on the Alaskan highway:
Almost $13k
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Seri...aa1d79df8&item=251823365624&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Over $11,100 and Reserve Not Met
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Seri...cf2ec66e7&item=261773616871&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Over $13,800
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Seri...0f5f8b28c&item=141565670028&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Over $15k
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-E...6344566dc&item=301524674268&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Sleam

Explorer
Good ideas, thanks. I'll look up the links. Since I built my own home I reckon I can modify the right vehicle to suit us too. Hmm..I also heard of a 4x4 Sportsmobile for sale locally from someone who might love the Land Rover!

Bbasso

Expedition goofball
For lack of an all around better vehicle...

1999+ E350 Extended body, your choice of motor. (absolutely can be done under $10k and money to spare)
But for max MPGs 7.3PSD is king.

Ground clearance in stock trim isn't too shabby for a rwd plain vehilce. For dirt roads find one with a LSD rear, I've yet to get stuck. Then later when you have some $ saved you can call Chris and have 4X4.

Sleam

Explorer
For lack of an all around better vehicle...

1999+ E350 Extended body, your choice of motor. (absolutely can be done under $10k and money to spare)
But for max MPGs 7.3PSD is king.

Ground clearance in stock trim isn't too shabby for a rwd plain vehilce. For dirt roads find one with a LSD rear, I've yet to get stuck. Then later when you have some $ saved you can call Chris and have 4X4.

Thanks! I think i can do this...

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
BC ambulance service E350 with a 7.3 PSD, run you 3-5k, which will leave you a chunk of change for tires, chains, camper conversion, winch.

Very bear, bomb, and almost bullet proof.

Sleam

Explorer
Here's a local one for me...

"************ 4x4 Van - Go-Anywhere BEAST - $11500 (albuquerque)

1984 Dodge ramcharger van odometer: 120 drive : 4wd fuel : gas transmission : manual title status : clean cylinders : 8 cylinders

condition: excellent

-Dodge 360 w New Edelbrock Performer 4 Barrel Carb, dual exhaust.
-Rebuilt Transmission w 3,000 miles
-Rebuilt Suspension with new single track bar. 5in of travel
-Dana 44 front with locking hubs
-Rebuilt 12 bolt rear-end
-Five, 33in Road King Tires, in good shape.
-Custom Bumpers, light racks, roof rack, spare tire swing.
-Off road lights.
-8,000lbs Warn Winch.
-Custom Awning, 200+sq ft(middle pic).
-Deep cycle battery running all interior lights, roof exhaust fan.
-15amp Solar Panel mounted on roof.
-Rear seats convert to twin bed with storage underneath.
- Four Captains chairs (1 extra).
-Large enclosed aluminum tool box mounted in rear.
-Custom paint and graphics .
-New windshield
-New stereo
-2 removable drink tables (original)

Back in the glorious 80s, Dodge sent a handful of their extended panel RamVans to a conversion company called Pathfinder. Pathfinder converted the Van to RV, and the drive train to 4x4. Unfortunately, in their rush to create awesome, the folks at Pathfinder failed to upgrade the suspension. So, as a result, most of these rare beasts met their untimely doom. Luckily for mankind, this stacked vixen still lives and has been completely re-worked inside and out. Perfect for towing toys to the lake or driving around the horn of Africa. Comfortably seats 6, but has handled 9 adults with 5 dogs in thunderstorms. Whether you are taking the family to the mountains, or you need an Outback Assault Vehicle... she can handle anything. Tons of gear storage. HUGE custom awning. Starts every time. Purrs like a swamp gator. You cannot find a 4x4 van this decked-out for less. Serious buyers only."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob

Members online