What vehicle to purchase? (college student on a budget)

juicebox

Adventurer
Older Toyota trucks/tacomas fit my personality/needs/wants very well, so I'd vote for an older 22re toyota... I have heard they are really easy to rebuild if needed and they are very reliable. You could find a very clean one for <$3K.

70373d1214246190-1985-toyota-4x4-xtra-cab-22re-sale-phoenix-img_0170.jpg

Edit- That picture is of a 1985, so it will be a little more than $3K. There are a few very clean '86-'95 going for <$3K.

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
As promised I looked into Jeeps to expand my horizons and really dig the 2 door XJ, as you guys mentioned they seem to be pretty cheap too, I am keeping this in mind as a real consideration.

Now that we have you looking at XJ's, one caution on the two doors. The doors are substantially heavier than the 4-doors, look for cracks around the door hinges on the two door variety.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
As promised I looked into Jeeps to expand my horizons and really dig the 2 door XJ, as you guys mentioned they seem to be pretty cheap too, I am keeping this in mind as a real consideration.
....!
It's great to see someone with an open mind on a forum, good for you!

Too often I see rabid brand loyalty, I have been guilty of it myself.

Avantcore

Hey guys,

Sorry about the late response (midterms). Thanks for the compliment rusty_tlc, as long as someone can offer credible information I will always listen with an open ear to what someone has to say.

About older Toyota trucks: personally I am a huge Toyota fan going all the way back to Peanut Corolla's and all but it seems between the price for an older (let's say '86-'92), major rust factors from Toyota's early lack-of-rust-prevention and finally the sizing (seems "to" small vs. some of the other vehicles I have been looking at) it doesn't seem justifiable for what they're still asking for these vehicles ($2,500-$5,000 from what I have researched). Maybe I am just crazy/to picky.

Contradictory to what I just stated, I would love a '01-'04 Tacoma, this almost seems perfect (manual, basic, newer, big enough it seems, mpg, sexy?) but for the price also I would be saving and waiting forever to purchase one.

So far things that seem hard to beat about the XJ Jeep for my remaining college years and until I get settled after I graduate are:
-Reliability
-Aftermarket seems really affordable (plus used parts ARB bumper, etc parts are everywhere on forums/online for around half price it seems).
-Came manual
-Very affordable
-Easy capable off-roading
-Most important as of yet... they're everywhere (makes it easier to track one down to purchase).

Any final thoughts/opinions/gripes/flaming/knowledge I should hear about before putting the final "stamp of approval" mindset on locating/purchasing an XJ Jeep?

Avantcore

Oh, also, one more thing. I was reading a bit into about the door hinge problem, is it possible to just weld it perhaps to prevent this problem or any other solution ideas?

I think welding it would be a quick, effective, easy solution from the sounds of it (I would think it would be pretty easy to do for a first time weld attempt also).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

4runner, Tacoma, Frontier... a first gen dodge with a cummings sounds good until you have to buy parts.

My advice, you are in college... pay attention in school and do well. Worry about getting the perfect vehicle later on in life. Right now get something reliable, economical, and that is practical.

The Xj is not a bad choice.. but leave it stock while you are in school and you will thank yourself down the road. Don't start the downhill slide of modifying it.. it never ends....lol.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
My advice, you are in college... pay attention in school and do well. Worry about getting the perfect vehicle later on in life. Right now get something reliable, economical, and that is practical.
Best advice yet. What are you driving right now?

I recommend you look for a 4cyl manual wagon like a camry, accord or subaru...great on gas, reliable, and it's hard to go any cheaper without suffering in reliability. My dad has an '91 Accord wagon and it's a treat to take exploring WA when I'm visiting back home...great for road trips. Not exactly a "chick magnet" but the real keepers don't care what you drive. If you truly want to get on the road more and explore...9/10 times you don't need 4wd. Just pack like a backpacker, then if you want to explore even further into the backcountry you can go on foot.

Later on in life you can sell it and get a slick Tacoma with all the bells & whistles...then you can take all the routes that you had to pass by in 2wd.

Last edited:

Avantcore

Best advice yet. What are you driving right now?

Despite my practical, logic based mind, this advice is lost on me heh. Remember I am 24 and not 16 and have had my fair share of both practical and non-practical cars ;). Here is a list of cars off the top of my head I have owned since age 17 or so.

***Disclaimer***: I am not rich, but between working 2-4 jobs always, going to school full-time and financial aid I am able to put some money to the side always and have a budget. I have worked hard and paid for everyone of the vehicles listed under modified and some in the daily drivers, the rest in "daily drivers" were given to, loaned to for half a year or more or was a company vehicle(s). I would also usually sell, make a profit and upgrade to something more expensive.

Modified cars (I won't waste anyone's time with modifications, etc):

19xx(?) Suzuki Swift GTi
19xx(?) Mazda 323 AWD
1989(?) Volkswagen Scirroco
1988 Mazda RX7
1981 Toyota Starlet (KP61)
1983 Toyota Starlet (KP61)
1996 Subaru Impreza AWD Brighton
1997 Subaru Impreza AWD Brighton
2008 Honda Ruckus (Moped/Camo)
1992 Nissan 240sx Coupe (cleanest/low mileage I have ever seen)

Daily drivers mixed in with the above cars throughout the years:

1993 Toyota Camry XLE
1995 Mazda Protege
1998 Dodge Neon
19xx Chrysler P.T. Cruiser (P.T. Loser)
19xx Chrysler Town & Country
2001 Mitsubishi Mirage
2002 Honda Civic (bleh)
2003 Dodge Durango
1997(?) Jeep Wrangler
1993 Chevy G30 Van
1992 Toyota Tercel

End note: I am sure some people cannot focus on school and work jobs, I was fortunately/unfortunately graced with always being restless and having a lot of extra energy. I work hard for my hobby :). Having spent quite a lot of money on auto crossing & rallying, this is actually my way TO conserve money and not waste so much time and be practical haha.

I sold my last prized possession (240sx) to get out of the game and due to having moved, so in longest answer to your question ever: nothing currently, viva la Metro Chicago.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Despite my practical, logic based mind, this advice is lost on me heh. Remember I am 24 and not 16 and have had my fair share of both practical and non-practical cars ;). Here is a list of cars off the top of my head I have owned since age 17 or so.

Not to be an ***, but it would appear that after all of those cars you are not really ahead in any way. Stick with something economical and practicality for now... besides if you spend all your coin on a vehicle and tinkering with it.. it dosen't leave much for gas money to actually enjoy it. I would much rather have the money in the bank, than in my car.... but thats just me...lol

Avantcore

lol, you're good. You're probably right, but as far as I can remember I always bought low, parted out, sold high. Since I live in Chicago and use the metro system the vehicle would be for road trips/going to state parks/exploring only (and maybe getting groceries).

D

Deleted member 9101

lol, you're good. You're probably right, but as far as I can remember I always bought low, parted out, sold high. Since I live in Chicago and use the metro system the vehicle would be for road trips/going to state parks/exploring only (and maybe getting groceries).

Oh, I know I am right.. I am 33 and owned 18 vehicles so far... I have learned a very expensive lesson.... put your money anywhere but in a car, boat, or motorcycle....lol.

NothingClever

Explorer
If I were 24 again and could retain all my hard-earned whizdumb, I'd jump all over an older but well maintained Subaru station wagon (4WD/AWD).

Given your rally cross experience, you won't have any problems 1) navigating snow-covered forest service roads to access remote trailheads, 2) doing long road trips without spending a fortune in gas and 3) haul 6 drunk friends home from a party. The engines are surprisingly simple under the hood so you can save by doing your own services. Tons of support forums and parts (new / used / accessories) are easily found.

In the absence of a Subaru AWD wagon, I'd buy a dual sport motorcycle. A 600cc or better (like a Suzuki DR650) will traverse North America, haul all your camping gear, be easy on the pocketbook with purchase and maintenance and do it all at 45 miles to the gallon.

In the absence of the motorcycle and the Subaru, I'd get a Surly Long Haul Trucker or a Cross Check and wow the college hotties with your quads as you do weekend and Christmas/Spring Break self-supported tours.

But like another poster wrote, stay focused on your grades.

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
I'm suprised no one has mentioned a Samurai, they're cheap, reliable, get good gas MPG, and are easy to mod. A simple home-brew lift, some 31's, a locker, and a bit of underbody protection will have you ready for most any of the trails out there. Some sellers think they're plated in gold and will ask upwards of $3500 but if you keep looking and stay patient, you'll be able to find one for sub $1500.

Carrying 4 people comfortably would be a strectch but you can fab jump seats for the back, turn them sideways, and it'll be much roomier for the ones in the back.

All in all, you could buy/build a Samurai that does everything you want and probably have between $2500-$3000 in it, not too bad at all. If you really scoured for parts, you could be in the $2,000 range.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2388615928.html <--If you could get him down to $2600-$2700, this would be a good deal for one with the work already done. Add a rear locker for $200 and you could go most anywhere.

Last edited:

Avantcore

Writing spree

In the absence of the motorcycle and the Subaru, I'd get a Surly Long Haul Trucker or a Cross Check and wow the college hotties with your quads as you do weekend and Christmas/Spring Break self-supported tours.

But like another poster wrote, stay focused on your grades.

LOL, I rarely use this expression on the internet, but I loved your breakdown of almost every mode of transportation and what you would buy, it made me laugh out loud (especially the bicycle part, yes!!!).

On top of my many other hobbies I am an avid bicycle enthusiast and I am currently in the process of converting my first single speed into a fixie. Oh how I would love to sweep the local women off their feet with a Surly frame, but for now I will stick to my easily replaceable 1970-'80's cheap steel framed road bikes. It's fantastic to know other people are into bicycles on this forum too.

I think anyone who has been to college knows what two basic things you can do with your weekends: party and drink or road trip. I personally choose road tripping over drinking.

Since moving from the west coast with my family I have been stuck in this pathetically flat, devoid of mountains state (sorry Illinois fans) for nearly 5 years and have not been able to touch even a single hiking trail in so long (my fault mostly for focusing on different things/hobbies all this time).

Fortunately I do not need to worry about my grades as I do really well, as is. I don't think it's a crime to now realize I want a cheap vehicle to get to such places and do what I love :), albeit I know most likely not the most logical choice.

My other strong reasoning is I also believe I need to start being active again in outdoors if I plan to work for any of the companies I aspire to work for such as: L.L. Bean, Lands End, Ralph Lauren or the company I most highly respect, Filson Clothing.
I am nearing school being done and it is a bit hard to sell yourself on a resume to such classic staple outdoor companies if you are not as familiar with the great outdoors as they are and also to better understand their customer base :).

I do hear you guys on what you are trying to convey and do really appreciate your honest advice and guidance. I highly regard this forums community and what it stands for and believe it's opinions/views/thoughts are an extreme rarity in the online community.

Sorry for the long posts, blame taking (2) English classes this summer and it always being late :coffeedrink:.

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
I was the same as you in college, I chose multiple activities (road tripping among them) over partying and drinking and people were always amazed at how well-traveled I was and could still keep good grades. Back then, gas was cheap and I could go on a 600 mile road trip for the same price as what they were spending on eating out and drinking over the weekend.

Umpteen years later, it's still the same song with a good number of my professional colleagues asking the same thing, how come you can do X, X, and X and I can't? Ummmm...because my wife doesn't require Prada and Gucci and a Mercedes to carry them in, my best friends aren't named Captain Morgan, Miller, or Bud, and because I don't eat out every night of the week.

Priorities, priorities, priorities, it's always nice to see someone who shares some of mine. That long rant aside, there's some great spots (Indiana Sand Dunes, Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Michigan UP,north end of Green Bay) not far from you so get a rig and get out there and explore!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk