What width front bumper are you running and why did you pick that one? (JK)

nnnnnate

Adventurer
What style bumper is the best style for overlanding? The goal for my '13 JK (2 door) is to be light weight but I'm on a budget so Aluminum isn't really an option.

I have been looking at bumpers for a while now and am having trouble deciding on anything. I have looked a lot at the Expedition One DX with fog light wings because of its weight, to me its basically a winch plate with fog lights on it. Lots of guys run stubby bumpers and I do like the look of them but I anticipate doing more overlanding than rock crawling. I understand that the crawlers go with stubbies do give better approach angles and to fit bigger tires with less rubbing but what are the advantages of running a full size or even mid size front bumper? Is it for animal hitting protection? Something else I'm missing? I know that I'll be fine with any front bumper for the type of wheeling I'll be doing.

I have looked at ARB, AEV, and EXP One full width bumpers and you just can't get them for less than a grand. Again, being on a budget I have a really hard time spending that much money on a bumper. I'd rather spend the coin on a better winch than the sheet metal I'll be bolting it on to.

What are you guys running and why did you pick that width over the others that are available.

Thanks.

Septu

Explorer
I picked mine (LoD Midwidth), based solely on looks and features. I wanted a bumper with fog lights, a bull guard, and a recessed winch. I initially wanted a full width, until I saw one with flat fenders, then decided a mid width was more what I wanted, as I'd likely change out the fenders, and felt that a full width didn't flow properly with stock fenders. If I was going to keep the stock fenders, then I'd stay with a full width. But then I also hate the look of 90% of the stubbies, and the wheeling we do up here doesn't require one (almost no rocks). Which made a mid width an easy choice.

As for practicality... a full width offers more protection... but do you really need it? If you were planning on an extended trip south of the US boarder, then perhaps. But otherwise, odds are it will spend almost all of it's time in the US/Canada, in which case it comes back to personal preference.

Find one that you like, that has the features you want. Then go based on price/looks, or whatever feels right for you.

Here's a shot of mine. After I lift it, I'll have the front fenders widened to give me more coverage (and fling less mud).
1234889_10151606907677595_1253867046_n.jpg

IKE2013

Observer
I just run the RC steel endcaps and a RR light bar. I like the look. If I do get a winch, I will integrate into the stock and keep it hidden. It does help with turning and clearance. I still retain the fog lights and tow hooks. It lets you get tighter in. Here is mine vs stock side by side. View attachment 211426

griffman

I am running the high clearance rampage bumper. Its kind of the best of both worlds but it will never look good with flat flares. If i were to ever get some I would probably end up cutting it down to make it a stubby.

Most expo rigs I have seen have full width bumpers so there must be a reason for it, protection is one. I have seen photos of where a guy hit a deer with his full width bumper at speed, his repair cost was that of a can of spray paint. If he didnt have a full width, his tire would have taken all of the force. Just some food for thought.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
I have an LoD Signature Series Shorty. I never liked the looks of any full or mid width and this was about the only one I could find that could have fog lights and I didn't hate. One reason that I know some people will run mid or full width bumpers is to help with any trees or anything else that might be in the way that they can't avoid. Unfortunately I'll just have to deal with them.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
The biggest thing I don't like about the stock bumper is that when I go through mud, dirt, or anything else the tire throws that crap on the bumper. If I did end up with a full width it would have to flare up towards the fender flare to keep that crap to a minimum. That said I really like the stock fenders and don't plan to chop them. I don't think they look bad and if/when I scrap them up it'll be super easy and super cheap to pick up a take off replacement. I also didn't really want to put money into the stock bumper by putting on caps or fashioning a winch plate to it either because I know I'd probably want something different anyway.

Whatever I end up with though its got to have a recessed winch, I can't understand how people don't have issues with their winches covering the whole front of the radiator.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I went with an expedition one full width bumper. There are a lot of really tight, heavy wooded trails near home, cut out in deep clay etc. I have used a full width bumper on a longer wheel base truck to nudge things occasionally in tight spots. Aside from that the overgrowth and brush at least gets pushed away a little.

I chose this bumper because it still tucks up high at the sides, has good clearance (I cut off the crash bar underneath because it hung down so much further), fog light mounts included and recessed, hi lift jack points, and the winch is semi recessed.

null_zpse842e20d.jpg

FYI their bumper are 10% off now direct.
I got them to ship for free when I paid retail for it. I told them I could pay just a little more through Northridge and they ship free, or if they could sell it to me direct and ship it for free I would do that. Worth trying!

Last edited:

irish1371

Adventurer
I run the warn elite. It has full coverage of the front end for protection and follows the body lines well. Also the winch plate is built in and has fog light spots

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I went AEV. A few reasons were the factory look, the construction, and the fact that I could hide my winch in it. I think it fits perfectly with factory fenders. Not so much with most aftermarket fenders though.

pic020_zpsfd84487b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I'm modifying the stock bumpers. I have yet to hit my bumpers so I'm pretty safe modifying them and keeping light weight. Using vdp high clearance end caps, either my mbrp light bar or a maximus 3 bar, I like my mbrp however as I retain my helps fog lights. Also adding a hidden winch between the rails too. In the rear I'm going to use the teraflex tire and gate mount, high lift mount, flush mount my trailer wording plug and flush mount some led reverse/camp lights. Again, keeping it light.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

Skennedy

Adventurer
I'm running the AEV bumper....love the construction of the bumper and the look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 67

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
Rugged Ridge All Terrain Bumper

Stubby Rugged Ridge All Terrain Bumper, great price, modular mix & match accessories, solid build - ( contrary to what others might say), lightweight, and recovery points bolt directly to frame.

bumper.jpg

WininUtah

Adventurer
I'm about to buy a bumper and will go with the LoD full width. I like the look and it gets good reviews. I'll order without the bull bar, not necessary where I run.
I had a Hanson on my LJR and loved it but I like the LoD more on the JK.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Full width and all steel. You never know when you'll have to push your way past something. Say, a third world checkpoint, a car-jacking in Compton, whatever.

Mojave Rd W Nov_030 (2).jpg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
LoD Armor Lite was our choice. At 35 lbs, and all steel construction, it is stout and doesn't add much extra weight. With a SmittyBilt XRC8 Comp and two KC 851 HID lights mounted, it weighs less than an AEV bumper by it's self.

Sent via gigawatt laser...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven