What width front bumper are you running and why did you pick that one? (JK)

BBailey

Explorer
I've got a on Off Road Evolution 1/4 Pounder with Stinger on my 2009 Rubicon and an getting ready to install a Poison Spyder BFH with Trail Stinger on my 2012. My jeeps are built to be able to take me anywhere I point them when out exploring, that means maximizing their ability to go over, around, or through anything, a full width bumper gets in the way, hurts approach angle, and is typically heaver (all other things equal). Both of my bumpers are solid steel construction and the EVO 1/4 pounder punched straight through an F150 tailgate (got rear ended and pushed into the truck in front of me) and without so much as a dent. Most other bumpers wouldn't have survived nearly so well. Went with the Poison Spyder BFH based partially on the looks but moreso on performance, its got the best approach angle of any bumper made for the JK and unlike the EVO 1/4 Pounder, it'll fit the new Zeon line of Warn winches which is getting installed on it (a 10-s).

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I've been shopping around for a long time given my present no dinero budget and time to look. Looking at the selection of full length bumpers with bull bars that uses my stock fog lights with a recessed winch I have formed a few opinions. AEV is a light weight at 90 lbs and looks the best IMO, but once you add the winch plate it becomes over a hundred pounds and is about $1400 total, OUCH! I have their rear bumper and tire carrier which I can totally justify but the front bumper is just too much. The AEV deluxe bull bar is very nice looking, but it's 150 lbs and is around $1000. If ARB put that bumper on a diet I would consider it, but the current configuration is just too heavy. So far the only one I've found that doesn't confuse a geometry teacher, has strength and utility, is reasonably priced and doesn't weigh a ton is the Warn Elite. It's right at 100 lbs with a built in winch plate and under $700. If I was buying a bumper tomorrow it would definetly be the Warn. I will however continue to look until my house is done or I win the lotto!

NMBruce

Adventurer
Next Sat I will be putting on an AEV premium bumper. I was going back and forth between the AEV & ARB, the ARB became my first choice, but I found an AEV bumper 3 miles from a friend and went with it. I choose a full size bumper with the hoop for the extra protect it might offer from wild life.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've been really satisfied with this OLYMPIC "hitch bumper" is suits my mobile winch/trailer maneuvering--and (Matching rear bumper)

Price not bad at $230/260 bucks/$500 for the pair-

PICT0172.jpg

Sandtracks711041.jpg

Good powdercoat too-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

jomobco

Now Decanter
I went light with a nemesis aluminum. The winch sits low not blocking the grill at all and the thing is light.

Last edited:

Justincredible

Adventurer
I've read that stubby bumpers take a hit in gas mileage due to air hitting straight into the fender flares (like a little plastic parachute on each side).
Whether it's enough to even worry about, I don't know, but on an expedition rig every mile counts.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I've read that stubby bumpers take a hit in gas mileage due to air hitting straight into the fender flares (like a little plastic parachute on each side).
Whether it's enough to even worry about, I don't know, but on an expedition rig every mile counts.

Thats interesting, I'd have never expected to take a hit in mileage from a bumper. I put on a 2.5" coil lift a week ago and have yet to see any change in actual mileage loss after nearly 500 miles. I did expect to lose miles with the lift but am delighted that the numbers haven't dropped, yet.

dstock

Explorer
The AEV deluxe bull bar is very nice looking, but it's 150 lbs and is around $1000. If ARB put that bumper on a diet I would consider it, but the current configuration is just too heavy.

ARB is 150lbs? Where did you get that weight? Pretty sure it is more like 100lbs.

goofiefoot

Adventurer
The biggest thing I don't like about the stock bumper is that when I go through mud, dirt, or anything else the tire throws that crap on the bumper.

That was my main inspiration for this:

2014-02-01094216.jpg

I'm liking it more and more, and it was free (well, a few bucks for a can of spray paint for the tow hooks). Olympic makes a winch mount that sits low between the frame rails that I can use for a "recessed" winch when I get to that point. I've seen a few light bar options that would work to complete the look as well. It's nice and light, and I haven't noticed any loss of mileage yet.

ddog45

Adventurer
I have a stubby bumper on my four door jk and the first time I was backing up my trailer at a sweet secret camp spot I clipped a tree with my front left fender. If I had it to over again I would buy a bumper that offers some protection. When you have a trailer and a car with a wife and two daughters some stuff slips out of view.

dstock

Explorer
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Bumpers-Jee...t_pt=6410&t_pn=ARB3450220#questions_Container

There are several other sites that have this weight listed as well. Awesome bumper, but needs to go on a diet!

You may find this thread interesting: http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/front-bumper-comparison-23194/

or this one about halfway down the page: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-vs-after-market-bumper-weight-84074.html

I mounted my ARB bumper by myself, there's no way it was 150 lbs. I would give somewhere like Northridge 4x4 a call for a specific weight or even ARB USA if it's a bumper you really like.

Anyway, good luck in your search, lots of options.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
You may find this thread interesting: http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/front-bumper-comparison-23194/

or this one about halfway down the page: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-vs-after-market-bumper-weight-84074.html

I mounted my ARB bumper by myself, there's no way it was 150 lbs. I would give somewhere like Northridge 4x4 a call for a specific weight or even ARB USA if it's a bumper you really like.

Anyway, good luck in your search, lots of options.

Thx,
There's a lot of good reading between the two. One thing I will say is compared to my Cj there are a ton of options!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven