Whats The Deal With Rover Racks?

RBBailey

Observer
They started out of their garage here in Portland. I met them a few times, and I bought my first lift springs from them -- pretty good. And they were nice people. However...

Ever since then, especially when it comes to making orders, I've heard almost 100% bad news about them. I don't think their stuff is bad, it looks OK, and the racks I've seen are built good enough for 99% of us to use. But based on what I've heard about them over the last 5 or 6 years, I would never actually order anything from them. If they had a rack sitting there to pay cash for, go for it. If you see one for sale on Craig's List, go for it.

I'm really surprised they haven't shaped up enough to get a clue. People actually don't like them. But they have an OK product. If they could fix the first half, they may have a very busy business on their hands. $$$

rijosho

Adventurer
We had good luck with them on a 110 rack...and then contacted them in June about doing a custom rack for a 130 SW and another 110 rack, never heard back? Then they finally said they were too busy. I guess they don't need the work.

We got rid of the rack we got from them and have all Front Runner racks for our trucks.

James

No Limit Expeditions
www.NoLimitX.com

James, are you serious? They whore out the pics of your truck like crazy on their site, too...you'd think they'd at least get back to you dudes.

On another note, I have actually heard very good things about their Defender 90 fiberglass hard tops from those who have ordered (and likely received :ylsmoke: ) them.

FJ60Cruiser

Well, I finally received the rest of my order. it may of taken just about fifteen years to get this stuff, which I shouldn't have needed to begin with if my order had been built correctly, but now I have it.

Check out the powdercoating job on these.

005-9.jpg

003-11.jpg

001-10.jpg

greenrover

Got a custom voyager rack from them this summer, and while it was a little later than expected, the quality is great and it looks good too. Had it shipped to the local dealership and they thought is was good quality. I have seen a number of new ones in my area.

When I spoke with them back in June, they indicated that they were doing some production for LRNA, so I do believe they are busy.

I'm perfectly happy with mine.

NoLimitX

Sponsors
James, are you serious? They whore out the pics of your truck like crazy on their site, too...you'd think they'd at least get back to you dudes.

On another note, I have actually heard very good things about their Defender 90 fiberglass hard tops from those who have ordered (and likely received :ylsmoke: ) them.

Serious...we were deciding what racks we were going to use for all of our vehicles..gave them first option and never heard back? In the end I'm glad, we have been extremely happy with the Front Runner Racks. I agree with everyone else, the quality is good but if you can't actually buy it who cares.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Well, I finally received the rest of my order. it may of taken just about fifteen years to get this stuff, which I shouldn't have needed to begin with if my order had been built correctly, but now I have it.

Check out the powdercoating job on these.

005-9.jpg

003-11.jpg

001-10.jpg

I have no skin in this game; just trying to learn. I'm assuming the powdercoating is bad...? Can you tell me what makes bad powdercoating? Is it evenness of spread, pitting, orange peel? Just trying to learn and understand.
Thanks

ini88

Adventurer
I want a rack from them for my RRC but am scared to put the money down and not get anything. I heard the quality is bad... but recently I've heard the quality is great but the customer service is horrible. It is a shame because they have some real nice designs.

It's like Safari Gard all over again!!!

ArmyRover

Adventurer
Lucky8 LLC has them for sale... Wonder if they're having the same problems.

Lucky8 doesn't have that problem at all. I've ordered quite a few parts from Justin, great to deal with, great customer service and he gets the parts to you without drama.

FJ60Cruiser

I have no skin in this game; just trying to learn. I'm assuming the powdercoating is bad...? Can you tell me what makes bad powdercoating? Is it evenness of spread, pitting, orange peel? Just trying to learn and understand.
Thanks

The 'orange peel' on the powdercoating isn't actually a flow here. Because they are using a hammered texture. However if you look real closely in the pictures you can see the inconsistencies. I'll try to point them out the best I can.

Here in this picture, you can see where I circled and put the arrow that it's actually bare metal. No powdercoating on that spot at all.
348mvzt.jpg

Here in this picture, inside the circle you can see the contrast from a good coat of powder to a very thin coat of powder. Very uneven spray. Probably because the side shown was the bottom when they were spraying it, and just angled the gun to try and shoot powder up onto the underside. Just being lazy.
2le6slf.jpg

Here in this picture, there are no visible flaws. This was surely the top side when they sprayed them.
nw1f7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__

Members online