Wheelbase question from a beginner!

xdeerizx

Looking into either a 4Runner, Tacoma or Tundra to start my overland journey and have a wheel base question. I think the 4Runner has a wheelbase of around 110. 130 & 150 respectively for the Tacoma and Tundra. How much does this matter when offroading on easy to moderate trails? Difficult to expert trails? Rock/boulder climbing isn't a hobby of mine or ever a desire really, I can imagine doing the majority of running on easy to moderate 90 percent of the time. I have minimal, if any, offroading experience. Just trying to understand what to expect!

Thanks!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Wheelbase may be important or not, depends. From a pure "best" for technical trails most people feel about 100 to 110 inches is the sweet spot. Not so short as to be unstable but not so long as to be difficult to maneuver.

Too short can be a handful on highways, especially on snow or otherwise slick surfaces. For pavement the longer wheel base is more comfortable generally. Short wheel base also means less interior space. So it's a trade-off.

Personally I was happy with a 122" wheelbase on my 1991 XtraCab pickup with a 6 foot bed. The right combination of cab space, bed space and still not too bad to swing around switchbacks. The Tacoma Access Cab that replaced it is 127" and doesn't feel to me any worse. I think the turning circle is probably close to the same on both, guessing because of rack-and-pinion steering and the front suspension geometry.

If I was really concerned with any dimension it's the overhang, e.g. the approach and departure angles. That's the one thing that usually hangs me up, the long rear overhang of a pickup. The middle length, which is measured by the break-over angle, is rarely a problem on mild trails as far as capability. IOW, I don't often get high centered to the point of being stuck. You may find sliders and belly skids slightly more useful with a longer wheelbase, mostly for protection.

None of it really matters most of the time to the point that you should select a 4Runner solely based on its wheel base compared to a Tacoma unless your intention is to truly test it on technical trails. I'm talking about rock crawler type stuff and that doesn't sound like your use anyway. Pick the vehicle that best meets your needs, do you need a pickup bed or interior space?

Then work around your compromises. There's always a time a 4Runner owner wishes he had a place to throw muddy bikes and a Tacoma owner who wishes he had interior cargo space for Christmas gifts. It's never perfect 100% of the time.

rruff

Explorer
Looking into either a 4Runner, Tacoma or Tundra to start my overland journey and have a wheel base question. I think the 4Runner has a wheelbase of around 110. 130 & 150 respectively for the Tacoma and Tundra. How much does this matter when offroading on easy to moderate trails? Difficult to expert trails?

4runner is 110, Tacoma is 127 or 141, Tundra is 145 or 165. I have the 165 Tundra. It all depends on how sharp the switchbacks are, and the amount of big rocks and lumps you could drag your belly on. I would call easy-moderate trails fire roads, generally... is that about right? Usually won't be an issue there, at least not a showstopper. You can get a whole lot of places in a big truck. But I'd want a shorter WB for gnarly trails.

dman93

Adventurer
The wheelbase and associated breakover, along with overhang-based approach and departure are one set of offroad metrics. And a long wheelbase can be handy for stability, or for spanning obstacles. But most things being equal, a longer wheelbase means longer overall length. And shorter length is almost always better both on and off road. Where I live, with our local streets and parking lots, even my DCSB Tacoma can be a handful ... I can’t imagine a DCLB. And that’s only from an on road perspective. My DCSB won’t even fit in my driveway without hanging into the sidewalk a bit and snagging blind people.

xdeerizx

Wheelbase may be important or not, depends. From a pure "best" for technical trails most people feel about 100 to 110 inches is the sweet spot. Not so short as to be unstable but not so long as to be difficult to maneuver.

Too short can be a handful on highways, especially on snow or otherwise slick surfaces. For pavement the longer wheel base is more comfortable generally. Short wheel base also means less interior space. So it's a trade-off.

Personally I was happy with a 122" wheelbase on my 1991 XtraCab pickup with a 6 foot bed. The right combination of cab space, bed space and still not too bad to swing around switchbacks. The Tacoma Access Cab that replaced it is 127" and doesn't feel to me any worse. I think the turning circle is probably close to the same on both, guessing because of rack-and-pinion steering and the front suspension geometry.

If I was really concerned with any dimension it's the overhang, e.g. the approach and departure angles. That's the one thing that usually hangs me up, the long rear overhang of a pickup. The middle length, which is measured by the break-over angle, is rarely a problem on mild trails as far as capability. IOW, I don't often get high centered to the point of being stuck. You may find sliders and belly skids slightly more useful with a longer wheelbase, mostly for protection.

None of it really matters most of the time to the point that you should select a 4Runner solely based on its wheel base compared to a Tacoma unless your intention is to truly test it on technical trails. I'm talking about rock crawler type stuff and that doesn't sound like your use anyway. Pick the vehicle that best meets your needs, do you need a pickup bed or interior space?

Then work around your compromises. There's always a time a 4Runner owner wishes he had a place to throw muddy bikes and a Tacoma owner who wishes he had interior cargo space for Christmas gifts. It's never perfect 100% of the time.

Alot of great info. Thanks!

4runner is 110, Tacoma is 127 or 141, Tundra is 145 or 165. I have the 165 Tundra. It all depends on how sharp the switchbacks are, and the amount of big rocks and lumps you could drag your belly on. I would call easy-moderate trails fire roads, generally... is that about right? Usually won't be an issue there, at least not a showstopper. You can get a whole lot of places in a big truck. But I'd want a shorter WB for gnarly trails.

I didn't even think about the switchbacks. My main concern is "dragging my belly" as you say and also overhang. I don't plan on crazy technical stuff but I can see an easier trail with spots that are more difficult, I'll want to be able to manage those. So a Tacoma or 4Runner will probably suit me the best. Probably the 4Runner.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The DCLB does seem like it would be a bit like piloting an aircraft carrier on the trails.
I didn't even think about the switchbacks. My main concern is "dragging my belly" as you say and also overhang. I don't plan on crazy technical stuff but I can see an easier trail with spots that are more difficult, I'll want to be able to manage those. So a Tacoma or 4Runner will probably suit me the best. Probably the 4Runner.
The 4Runner is pretty much spot on for wheelbase and the forward and rear overhangs are manageable (the only thing being the tow hitch and plug can get caught). But does an SUV suit your need? You run out of space quicker, especially if you're sleeping inside or bringing passengers. I know we couldn't camp easily out one, but our outfit has evolved of many years with pickups.

Dalko43

Explorer
Looking into either a 4Runner, Tacoma or Tundra to start my overland journey and have a wheel base question. I think the 4Runner has a wheelbase of around 110. 130 & 150 respectively for the Tacoma and Tundra. How much does this matter when offroading on easy to moderate trails? Difficult to expert trails? Rock/boulder climbing isn't a hobby of mine or ever a desire really, I can imagine doing the majority of running on easy to moderate 90 percent of the time. I have minimal, if any, offroading experience. Just trying to understand what to expect!

Thanks!

Where do you live?
What kind of gear do you need to carry?

The SUV's with the smaller wheel bases (Jeeps, 4runners, FJ Cruisers, LC's) are generally a bit more maneuverable in technical terrain, and arguably more capable wheelers due to that. My 5th gen 4runner is an absolute billy goat; I've crawled up and over technical trails that were probably meant for ATV's and snowmobiles. My one major dislike with it (besides the antiquated engine): lack of storage space, especially for extra fuel.

Pickup's will ,generally-speaking have longer wheel bases, which can leave them a bit more exposed during technical wheeling. Some of this "exposure" can be mitigated (large lift, larger tires, sliders, careful driving). But the longer wheel base will make them a bit less nimble in technical terrain, again generally-speaking. The tradeoff is they are absolutely, hands-down, much more capable when it comes to storing/hauling lots of gear. With that said, with the right modifications and the right driving line, you should be able to get through 99% of what you encounter with a Tundra similarly-sized pickup....you just need to be okay with a little extra pin stripping on your paint.

Any of the 3 vehicles you mention will work just fine for overlanding. You just need to figure out which one makes the most sense based on your needs and preferences.

tatanka48

having done Engineer Pass from Ouray up ^^ n over in an F-350 long bed 4-door i would say get the one that pulls YOUR string(not somebody else's)

IMHO the TRACK WIDTH would be a more limiting element than wheel base and agree w/ DaveInDenver about approach and departure overhang(the hitch on the 350 has plow'd a few ditches over the years)

rememberize you will be spending way more time boring holes down the highway than off roading and driving a vehicle that you LIKE is mo$t important

T

J!m

There’s an old saying for Rovers: as slow as possible; as fast as necessary.

Applying this here- the wheelbase should be as short as you can tolerate- but the vehicle should be as long as necessary to provide interior storage. Or exterior in the case of a pickup.

Disco I is at the “magic” 100” number but interior space is lacking. The 110 has much more interior storage, even with a five-door. (The three-door is outstanding)

I agree with all said above. Going from an 88 to a 110 was like going from a biplane to a Learjet. Long wheelbase is comfortable. Some advantages climbing some obstacles too.

As far as “rough stuff” goes: my 88 with an air locker went just about anywhere. My 110 with open diffs goes MUCH further. One downside being when I get it stuck, it’s REALLY stuck.

So determine the space you need, and get the most compact package that accommodates that. If you go the other way around, you will quickly find ways to “fill” all the extra space. That makes you heavier, and short or long wheel base, heavy complicates everything.

xdeerizx

I am a landscape and nature photographer based out of Atlanta. The idea is to leave it at varying airport's long term storage. For example, fly into Vegas airport and pick the vehicle up. Take it around and thru Death Valley, Eastern Sierras and up towards Tahoe Airport. Leave it there for ever how long, then fly back in and move on from there. Pretty much all of the overlanding comforts you can get. Water system, cooking and fridge, dry storage and extra battery support. I will have a ton of audio/video equipment that will need to stay charged.

xdeerizx

There’s an old saying for Rovers: as slow as possible; as fast as necessary.

Applying this here- the wheelbase should be as short as you can tolerate- but the vehicle should be as long as necessary to provide interior storage. Or exterior in the case of a pickup.

Disco I is at the “magic” 100” number but interior space is lacking. The 110 has much more interior storage, even with a five-door. (The three-door is outstanding)

I agree with all said above. Going from an 88 to a 110 was like going from a biplane to a Learjet. Long wheelbase is comfortable. Some advantages climbing some obstacles too.

As far as “rough stuff” goes: my 88 with an air locker went just about anywhere. My 110 with open diffs goes MUCH further. One downside being when I get it stuck, it’s REALLY stuck.

So determine the space you need, and get the most compact package that accommodates that. If you go the other way around, you will quickly find ways to “fill” all the extra space. That makes you heavier, and short or long wheel base, heavy complicates everything.
Good stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater