Wheelers 5-Leaf, or OME Leafs?

Dusty T.

Observer
Thanks for sharing! That looks like a nice, clean install. What size tires did you go with? Any noticeable MPG difference?

A couple things I thought of over the weekend for those with a 2" lift....

1. Any thoughts on getting the OME greasable shackles? Read some mixed reviews on whether they were really necessary and several postings about greasable shackles actually breaking. I think those were a different brand though and I would get the ones made by OME.

2. Extending the rear brake line is almost always brought up, but never seen mention of having to lengthen the wire harness that connects the e-locker in our TRD trucks. I also have the extended diff breather hose as well. Any need to reposition / lengthen these?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
1. I've never seen a broken OME Tacoma shackle and we have dealt with dozens and dozens in addition to the sets I've run on my Tacoma's, non issue. They are not mandatory but promote longevity of the bushings and keep squeaks at bay while providing a tougher shackle. That said stock Tacoma shackles are not a common failure point either.

2. I would plan to lengthen the breather hose and while you are at it, relocate it higher on the body.

Dusty T.

Observer
1. I've never seen a broken OME Tacoma shackle and we have dealt with dozens and dozens in addition to the sets I've run on my Tacoma's, non issue. They are not mandatory but promote longevity of the bushings and keep squeaks at bay while providing a tougher shackle. That said stock Tacoma shackles are not a common failure point either.

2. I would plan to lengthen the breather hose and while you are at it, relocate it higher on the body.

Thanks, god to know! I'm going with the greasable shackles at this point. I already have the breather hose mod done. Wondering if I'll still need to extend it.... It's routed along the E-locker harness.

Ran into a last-minute consideration before making purchase this week.... I really like the adjustability of the Toytec coilover Part # TT-AFCS, but the shock is a Bilstein 6930, and cost $200 each to replace. Debating going with the coilover kit that comes unassembled and uses the Bilstein 5100 adjustables Toytec # TCK-D4. Not a massive difference in price considering the whole suspension cost, but am considering replacement costs, and availability since the 5100s are much easier to come by if in a pinch.

Anyone running the Eibach coilovers on 5100's?

Redneck_toy

Thanks for sharing! That looks like a nice, clean install. What size tires did you go with? Any noticeable MPG difference?

The tires are the optional stock size
265-75-16. I didn't want to increase the tire size due to loss of power concerns. My mileage has actually increased, as I tuned it up along with new 02sensors, timing belt, water pump,etc the same time I installed the lift and bumpers.

Dusty T.

Observer
I ordered the leafs yesterday! Look forward to getting them installed. A couple second thoughts came up though....
1. Has anyone installed a axle relocate kit because the ome leafs can cause tire rub when they're stuffed in the wheel well. Should I just drill a hole in the mount plate and call it good? I'll be running 265/75/16 so they're not that huge

2. I carry about 250 lbs at all times. Is an aal recommended?
3. Are the stock bump stops sufficient? Just springs only- no longer shackles.

Thanks

2scars

Adventurer
Nope...

I am running 265/75-16s currently and in the past have run 255/75-17 KM1s with no rubbing.

The weight SHOULDN'T be a problem. I used to run around with a heavy cap on the back that was around #150, plus my gear. I took WAY too much stuff to Moab when I went and had the extra leaf on then, but took it off once I returned. I level the truck (881s and 5100 on the second notch) when I am setup to camp now, with RTT and rack and cooler and stuff. I probably don't NEED 10 inch travel shocks now, but they aren't a problem. I will extend the stops later.

If you notice, Boxrocket isn't running extended bumps and neither am I. If you are running longer than 8-9" shocks, you may want to look into them though as you could destroy your shocks by bottoming them out.

Brandon

265 ATs

255 MTs

In Moab, with WAYYY too much stuff (bed platform, CO2, full cooler, tools, parts, etc.) and the extra leaf

Dusty T.

Observer
The Dakars, 5100's, hardware, and tie rods (separate project) arrived late last week. Now waiting on the Eibach coils from Toytec. Not much room left in the garage at this point :)

Now I'm fixated on the CV boots. Read about a number of failures with these when lifted. Mine are the originals but look to be in decent, clean shape. I guess I'll see where they are post lift and go from there. Anyone running high angle cv boots? Should I consider investing in some Downey boots from Parks? Thanks for your patience with my newbie questions.

Dusty T.

Observer
Axle Shims

Well, I'm halfway through the process and am beginning the rear leaf pack. Doing the Dakars only with no shackles, so expecting about 2" of lift. I don't have any axle degree shims. Seems that alot of folks who have '05 and up tacomas uses these, but not too much info on the 1st generation Tacomas. I assume install the leafs and see if there are any driveline vibrations. Anyone here forego the shims?

Thanks

keezer37

Explorer
Seems that alot of folks who have '05 and up tacomas uses these, but not too much info on the 1st generation Tacomas. I assume install the leafs and see if there are any driveline vibrations. Anyone here forego the shims?

Actually for '05 and up, lowering the carrier bearing I think is the way to go. It's the way I went after reading up on driveshaft geometry. Know this, with a standard driveshaft (u-joint at either end) you want to keep those u-joints parallel to one anther. That is, your output (front end of the driveshaft) be it the transfer case or a carrier bearing should remain parallel to the input (pinion) on the rearend. From my reading shimming the rearend changes this angle obviously and is more typically used for high angle driveshafts with more than two u-joints. My reading was at Tom Wood's. I do not endorse any of his products, in fact I've criticised one at length. But the tech info is good reading.

Different people have obtained different results on different setups. Your situation may be unique so start with the easy cheap stuff.

w00dy

I have the Dakar leaf pack and I just added the D6xl AAL yesterday. Tires are 285/75/16 Kelly safari TSR

liveOE4V7P.jpg

Dusty T.

Observer
Actually for '05 and up, lowering the carrier bearing I think is the way to go. It's the way I went after reading up on driveshaft geometry.

Yeah, I think I'll install the springs first and see how everything looks/feels. I've seen the carrier bearing drop method using washers and that looks like a better option instead of shimming up the axle with a couple thin plates. Guess I'll start with the basics and go from there.

Thanks.

keezer37

Explorer
Yeah, I think I'll install the springs first and see how everything looks/feels. I've seen the carrier bearing drop method using washers and that looks like a better option instead of shimming up the axle with a couple thin plates. Guess I'll start with the basics and go from there.

Thanks.

One last thing, be mindful of your bolt length as you add washers. You might need to get longer bolts. I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater