When to replace AT tires.

kmlacroix

Explorer
I am heading to Ouray for the Jeep Jamboree. I have a 14 JGC. My GY AT kevlar tires have about 1/4" of tread left. They were new in October. At what point will they become a liability on the med(4-6) difficulty trails? First day I plan on the easier trails.

My tires are not the E rated ones.

Stock is 265/60-18, these are 265/65-18. Which would be better(than stock) wider 275/65 or taller 265/70 or 265/65, or stock?

The Jeep has ORA2 with the air suspension, and is supposed to be able to handle the terrain(trail rated:Wow1:)

Thanks,
Kevin

MTSN

Explorer
What was the original tread depth compared with what it is now? How many miles are the tires? It sounds like it's probably getting close to ready for replacement, and I would definitely want good rubber for the Jeep Jamboree. In fact many organized trail runs check your tires and will not let you go if they're not in great shape. Tires are the only thing (hopefully) on your Jeep touching the ground, so I'd say replace soon with high quality replacements like the new KO2 or Duratrac or any of the good AT tires out now.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
1/4" ? Or 8/32"? 8/32 is ok probably 30% worn or so. I wouldn't worry about it. It's the folks with 2/32" that you need to watch out for. The " these are good for one more winter" types. Post a picture of the tread condition if you can. I run my tires to about 4/32" then replace them. Past 4/32 and your reliability on long trips goes way down along with performance in our sudden monsoons we get in Colorado.

Boroffski

Tires have a tread wear indicator bar in the voids. When the tread wears down to the bar, it's time to replace. On BF Goodrich tires it is marked on the sidewall with a triangle pointing tword the indicator and there are at least 6 on each tire, not sure if that is industry standard.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I generally look at tire replacement as this: when the tread is worn enough to cause issues in the rain or the tire is otherwise not performing as desired anymore due to diminished tread depth, it's time to replace it. For an off-road only rig, the tread depth remaining at replacement will likely be much higher than it would be on a sports car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater