where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Crack Monkey

Did a quick scan of this thread, but didn't see an answer... when the 2nd row is folded flat, how long is the storage area? I was looking at used GX460s and a few base Cayennes popped up in my feeds. Looking for an SUV for camping, but the extend of overloading will likely be forest roads in the mid-Atlantic. We usually use a large tent, but the ability to sleep inside once in a blue moon is preferable (late arrival at camp, solo 1-nighters, etc). I'm 5'7", wife is 5'4", and dog is 7lbs, so we're pretty compact. We're used to sleeping in 2-person backpacking tents, so cramped side-to-side is fine as long as I don't have to keep my legs bent.

Lovetheworld

I also looked at that and there is no direct answer. I am 6' 3, and I think it would be less comfortable but still possible. For you I think it will be easy. You could always move the passenger seat a bit forward.

Cayenne-958-TDI

Believe you could sleep in the tailgate area BUT you would have to remove your gear to access the space. True for any SUV. For us it is easier to put up the tent and deal with setting up the rest of camp in the morning. Some type of drawer system might help. Front Runner makes one for behind the rear seat that could be adapted forward for 2002-2010 Cayenne's I would bet that this would also fit in 958s too!
We are trying to decide whether to remove the rear seat and do something like this or get a trailer to enable stealth camping. The trailer makes more sense for four season camping but becomes an issue on technical trails.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Did a quick scan of this thread, but didn't see an answer... when the 2nd row is folded flat, how long is the storage area? I was looking at used GX460s and a few base Cayennes popped up in my feeds. Looking for an SUV for camping, but the extend of overloading will likely be forest roads in the mid-Atlantic. We usually use a large tent, but the ability to sleep inside once in a blue moon is preferable (late arrival at camp, solo 1-nighters, etc). I'm 5'7", wife is 5'4", and dog is 7lbs, so we're pretty compact. We're used to sleeping in 2-person backpacking tents, so cramped side-to-side is fine as long as I don't have to keep my legs bent.

FYI Cayenne seats don't fold truly flat, not like a Rover. One crappy thing about the Cayenne.

What chassis Cayenne are you looking at, 955/957('04-10), or 958('11-19'ish)?

I can tell you that if you moved both front 958 Cayenne seats forward, and you fashioned a platform for each of you, you'd both fit in the back, dog between you. But as Otis said, where is your inside stuff going to go when you're sleeping? LMK if you'd like a pic of this.

Crack Monkey

Thanks for the responses. I'm not concerned about the not-totally-flat seats - I would likely buy/build drawers + bed platform, and much of our gear would be in the drawers.

For comparison, I started looking at LC200s and GX460s in the $20-$30k range. Both can be fitted with drawer systems that can be used as part of a platform bed. The GX460 has fold-flat seating (without drawers). The Cayenne would be a much more entertaining street car - I won't ever make use of the Land Cruiser's full off-road capabilities and the GX is pretty pokey.

dr_r2r

Observer
Thanks for the responses. I'm not concerned about the not-totally-flat seats - I would likely buy/build drawers + bed platform, and much of our gear would be in the drawers.

For comparison, I started looking at LC200s and GX460s in the $20-$30k range. Both can be fitted with drawer systems that can be used as part of a platform bed. The GX460 has fold-flat seating (without drawers). The Cayenne would be a much more entertaining street car - I won't ever make use of the Land Cruiser's full off-road capabilities and the GX is pretty pokey.
I initially thought that you were asking for the rear cargo length as you were concerned about sleeping inside, that’s why I posted pictures of how I utilize it for camping.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

LC200 is quite a bit wider than the Cayenne or GX, more vertical sides too.

Lovetheworld

Here an off-road prepared Cayenne. I would be hesitant to spent this kind of money on such an early model V8, but other than that, it looks well prepared.

https://www.autoscout24.nl/aanbod/p...criptionResponsive_nl-NL_Live&utm_term=button

On an only very slightly related note (since related Audis and VWs are sometimes mentioned here), I found out that the 2018/2019 electric Audi E-tron is pretty good offroad too.
It is in some ways a totally different car of course, but it is comparable in that you wouldn't expect it to be that good and it lets you raise the car to 25cm ground clearance too, just like a Cayenne with air suspension.
Of course 25cm will not make it a rock crawler, but combined with all the gizmos (extra cameras for visibility during offroading) and super good grip/traction control it proves to be pretty good.
And lots of torque of course.
I guess it would already do nicely here in (Western) Europe as there are enough chargers to get around, and they are expanding.

Crack Monkey

Thoughts on this Cayenne (base)?

2014, 1-owner, reasonable mileage (85k), Sport Chrono. Are there any "must have" options missing? Price seems about average, not great, not terrible.

Cayenne-958-TDI

Thoughts on this Cayenne (base)? Are there any "must have" options missing? Price seems about average, not great, not terrible.
For us our must have's include air suspension, roof racks, tow kit, standard sunroof / would not consider a pano roof, heated seats and steering wheel, lane change assist, park sensors, basic audio / enhanced takes up too much room with speakers & amps. For travel with in North America would want a diesel for range and low end torque. For travel to Central & South America you must have petrol. Our 18 way adj seats are very nice for long trips like our last rally driving 10-12 hour days in difficult conditions for 10 days straight. The seats also are nice on rough technical trails.
We use an ARB 8x8x8 room, separate awning, and ground tent all for flexibility on where and how long we stay in one place. The room come in handy when doing field research, at the track, or longer stays. The awning has side panels for shade and taking a shower amongst Puritans. Mostly use our ground tent. We carry two full size spare tires as the donut is of no use where we travel.Otis & RSA Track Ready.jpg

Crack Monkey

I assume all Cayenne have the roof rack mounts in the gutters? I'd probably upgrade to a an aftermarket anyway, so as long as the mounts are there, I don't care if the factory rack is.

I didn't notice the missing tow kit on the one I linked - I assume the factory package is more than just a hitch receiver (trans cooler, possibly transmission mode specific to towing)? Hitches are usually only $200 and a few bolts - added them to 4-5 cars over the years without trouble.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thoughts on this Cayenne (base)?

2014, 1-owner, reasonable mileage (85k), Sport Chrono. Are there any "must have" options missing? Price seems about average, not great, not terrible.

PTV+ which is the Porsche Torque Vectoring (fancy, locking rear diff).

I assume all Cayenne have the roof rack mounts in the gutters? I'd probably upgrade to a an aftermarket anyway, so as long as the mounts are there, I don't care if the factory rack is.
I didn't notice the missing tow kit on the one I linked - I assume the factory package is more than just a hitch receiver (trans cooler, possibly transmission mode specific to towing)? Hitches are usually only $200 and a few bolts - added them to 4-5 cars over the years without trouble.
Not all have factory roof rails(which is what you attach a roof rack to). And if it doesn't, this means you have to drop the headliner down and retrofit them, which IIRC, Porsche wants 5 arms and 3 legs for.
I don't think there's a specific tow package that adds trans cooler, and no Towing mode like an American pickup has....nor any integrated trailer brake controller on a Cayenne.

Cayenne-958-TDI

Our 2013 Diesel now has 112k miles of mainly off-road and endurance rally where we regularly use our air suspension, low end torque, and fuel range. Except for body armor, ours is completly stock. Driven lots of different environments from the hot Chihuahuan desert up to the frozen Arctic Ocean where temps got to -40F, 60mph winds, blizzard, -90F windchill. Ice racing on the frozen Yukon River at Dawson City was among the highlights of our second ALCAN winter rally March 2020.
Saturday took our CD to DirtFish for some mud and water fun. WRC drivers like Ken Block, Travis Pastrana, and Sébastien Loeb have all had fun driving at DirtFish. With Avants, they are developing a 4x4 course that we both got to drive Saturday. Lots of fun - Many different rigs, four Cayennes ran yesterday - P!Gs in their element - MUD. It was nice to see four Cayenne's on course showing how capable they are. Also had Search & Rescue folks were on hand to teach winching and other recovery techniques. Awesome that none of the Cayenne's got stuck or needed recovery. Got home in time to hose 'Otis' down and watch the last of Sebring.
- Photos by Kyle Grozelle @turndownforchucks
aa 2020 March -  Avants Dirtfish-SPRAY-Photos by Kyle Grozelle @turndownforchucks011 a SMALL.jpgaa 2020 March -  Avants Dirtfish-Cayenne-Photos by Kyle Grozelle @turndownforchucks116 a SMALL...jpgaa 2020 March -  Avants Dirtfish-Cayenne-Photos by Kyle Grozelle @turndownforchucks017 a SMALL.jpg2020 March -  Avants Dirtfish-Cayenne-Photos by Kyle Grozelle @turndownforchucks075 a SMALL.jpg2020 March -  Avants Dirtfish-Cayenne-Photos by Kyle Grozelle @turndownforchucks094 a SMALL.jpg2020 March -  Avants Dirtfish-Cayenne-Photos by Kyle Grozelle @turndownforchucks060 a SMALL.jpg2020 March -  Avants Dirtfish-Cayenne-Photos by Kyle Grozelle @turndownforchucks095 a SMALL.jpg2020 March -  Avants Dirtfish-Cayenne-Photos by Kyle Grozelle @turndownforchucks105 a SMALL.jpg2020 March -  Avants Dirtfish-Cayenne-Photos by Kyle Grozelle @turndownforchucks099 a SMALL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77