Where is this oil leak coming from?

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I'm taking the General Li in for it's first oil change tomorrow and tonight I took off the skid plates to make finding the oil leak easier. So where do you guys think this leak is coming from? It would be good to have other opinions before the shop looks at it tomorrow.

- No smoke out of tailpipe
- Oil seems to be on bottom of engine only, passenger side, front of engine not really anything near the firewall.
- New alternator that was replaced just a few months ago has oil on the bottom of it

I've heard the front cam seals are a problem spot for the 3.0 but don't know if that's the same with the 3.5?

IMG_2564.jpg
IMG_2566.jpg
IMG_2575.jpg
IMG_2576.jpg

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Passenger side cam seals are probable. I've also had a persistent leak from my power steering pump that's in the same area. When I replaced my alternator in my '95 a few years ago, there was a note in the box about a lot of cores coming back that were oil soaked, causing failure, and they stated to specifically address the cam seals as a leak source, so that's a known thing. I think a lot of timing belt changes neglect that extra replacement step.

John B.

clmrt

Adventurer
I've read that a faulty / clogged pcv will allow crankcase pressure to pop the cam seals. Replace PCV as preventative measure. I do mine yearly.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I've read that a faulty / clogged pcv will allow crankcase pressure to pop the cam seals. Replace PCV as preventative measure. I do mine yearly.

Good tip - i will get the PCV done ASAP.

Im at the shop now and they are saying that its not even oil, that it is a power steering hose leak so thats good news.

On the other hand it makes me wonder where the oil is going if it is not leaking out and here I was thinking the valve stem seals were fine. (Still no smoke out of tailpipe though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Nice to hear your mechanic was able to find the source.

I had to replace the power steer high pressure hose on my 2002 a while back, but it's on the driver's side of the fan.
The compression fittings on those things have a life span.

(I always recommend cleaning the soiled area with Super Clean, then it's easier to find the source.)

NickSchmaus

Observer
I thought it was interesting that in my Mitsubishi manual for the car it says oil consumption is normal.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

zukrider

Explorer
oil consumption is normal. for all vehicles. granted there are some that do not.

I literally have the exact same leak. event really dug into it yet though.

Garmstrong55

Check on the oil cooler lines also if you're loosing motor oil as well as power steering fluid. Mine and a friends Gen 2.5 both had oil cooler line leaks that looked similar to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179