Where to keep the Spare???

joker2041

Adventurer
Okay guys,

I had a custom made tire carrier on my truck which worked fantastic, but I now need my bed space. My fullsize matching spare will not fit under the truck. Where are you folks who are running a full size spare keeping it, besides a swing away rear tire/bumper carrier??

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
265x75 should fit under the bed unless you are routing something else through there now. Does the carrier sit down in the bed?

Louisd75

Adventurer
Okay guys,

I had a custom made tire carrier on my truck which worked fantastic, but I now need my bed space. My fullsize matching spare will not fit under the truck. Where are you folks who are running a full size spare keeping it, besides a swing away rear tire/bumper carrier??

If your sig line is correct and you're running 265/75/16's, you should be able to fit the spare under the bed. I'm running the same size tires (General Grabber AT2 though). I had to bend the tabs out a little that holds the spare in place, but there's still plenty of room between the spare and the leaf springs.

-Louis

DblD

Adventurer
In preparation for the trip to Amado I just ditched my stock spare 265/70R16 BFG Long Trail for a 265/75R16 Cooper ST that matches what’s on the truck. The new tire fit just fine up under the bed.

dd

austintaco

Explorer
Okay guys,

I have a 255/85/16 under the bed in the stock location. I had to do some cutting on the bracket, but it fits snug and secure. I do want a new bumper, but I am fine with the spare under the bed for now.

rsbmg

Observer
Anyone consider mounting it on a rack attached to the bedrails up near the cab (below the roof line, basically the bottom of the tire would be sitting aboust even with the top of the bedrail)?

I was giving this some thoughts for a few reasons.

Positives

1. Frees up the stock location for aux. gas/water/storage/air etc...
2. Improves the departure angle.
3. Tire is easier to access.
4. Provides better weight distribution.
5. Mounted on a bedrack you still have all the usable space in the bed

Negatives

1. the weight of the tire is up higher raising the COG.

Considering things like flip pacs, rooftop tents, baskets, bed racks etc.. I dont see the raising of the COG much of an issue since most expedition types have far exceeded the weight of a spare tire and that weight is usually up higher than I'm proposing.

I dont consider the visibility issue out the rear window a real problem since we have mirrors and many are already running set-ups which affect that anyway.

Any feedback from those who have done this or those that can propose some other negatives?

I realize how we set our trucks up can vary so for some this would not be an option but if you are starting with a clean slate, like me its just something I'm considering.

Last edited:

joker2041

Adventurer
The matching spare wont fit due to the "x" shaped bars that hold the spare in place. The ends are curved up to wrap around the sides of the tire and the spare seems to be around 1/2" or so to big. Also I have a aftermarket catback and the fullsize matching spare is about 1/8" from the exhaust. Do you think that the exhaust being that close will cause any damage? I can always modify the bars that hold the spare in place, as I am more concerned about the exhaust clearance.

Also for who asked; the spare tire carrier leans inward and takes up a bit of bed space, but it actually mounts in the tailgate location using the tailgate bolts.

Thanks for all the replies!

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
My exhaust has been rubbing up against my spare for years. Never had a problem. Other then the clean spot on the tire and the exhaust you would never know.
That said I plan to put a 33x9.5x15 under there at some point. That will necessitate a little re routing. :ylsmoke:

hoist00

Observer
I'm not sure why you guys are having problems getting larger tires in the stock location under the truck. I have my 35" spare in the stock location and it wasnt that hard at all. Just cut or bend the curved sections out of your way and you can offset the spare away from the exhaust by just doing it more on the oppsite side. I have a 2004 double cab with the stock exhaust and its not that close, yeah its tight but still fits no problem. Also its ok if the tire isnt perfectly centered under the cable hoist, I have had mine like this for years and I daily drive it plus its been over tons of trail including the Rubicon.

shovelbill

Observer
or you could buy or build something like this:

http://www.tiregate.com/hg_series_0.shtml

removable, not very obtrusive and frees up that space you are talking about. i don't want a dedicated carrier on my bumper because i'm in and out of the back of my K5 all day long, so thing fits the bill very nicely. it's a good option that i'm considering as i don't carry a spare every day whilst i'm just driving in the city.

joker2041

Adventurer
or you could buy or build something like this:

http://www.tiregate.com/hg_series_0.shtml

removable, not very obtrusive and frees up that space you are talking about. i don't want a dedicated carrier on my bumper because i'm in and out of the back of my K5 all day long, so thing fits the bill very nicely. it's a good option that i'm considering as i don't carry a spare every day whilst i'm just driving in the city.

I actually have a "PR Series" style tire carrier currently. Thats why I asked the question originally. I need my tailgate back and I dont want a swing away tire carrier. I think I am just going to modify the brackets underneath to fit the spare and roll with it. I may also get a softopper as well.

Box Rocket

i'm not sure why you guys are having problems getting larger tires in the stock location under the truck. I have my 35" spare in the stock location and it wasnt that hard at all. Just cut or bend the curved sections out of your way and you can offset the spare away from the exhaust by just doing it more on the oppsite side. I have a 2004 double cab with the stock exhaust and its not that close, yeah its tight but still fits no problem. Also its ok if the tire isnt perfectly centered under the cable hoist, i have had mine like this for years and i daily drive it plus its been over tons of trail including the rubicon.

x2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3