Where to mount an Ambient Air Sensor?

J_wings24

Observer
Well, I ordered a couple of cyberdyne gauges and a Loteck guage pod this week. I got the Ambient air temp guage & sender and a voltmeter gauge.

My question: where is a good place to mount the sender unit for the air temp gauge?

Any Ideas??

soonenough

Explorer
I've never looked to see where it's mounted on the new Tacomas with a factory amb. temp gauge, but that would prob be a decent place to start with. I'll check it when I get home today.

J_wings24

Observer
soonenough said:
I've never looked to see where it's mounted on the new Tacomas with a factory amb. temp gauge, but that would prob be a decent place to start with. I'll check it when I get home today.

Thanks soonenough. I'd assume it needs to be protected away someplace away from the engine/exhaust etc.
I was thinking about tucking it away in the front/rear bumper, but I'm not sure.

joel

madizell

Explorer
Mine are located behind the front grill, and in front of the radiator, far enough away from the radiator so as to avoid radiant heat.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Not on a TOY, but I mounted mine inside the driver's door jamb at the front. That way it is away from the engine heat, out of direct sunlight, with an ample supply of outside air, but still protected from the elements/banging/etc. And the factory sensor cord would reach without modification. It has worked great for 6+ years.

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
If you're looking to be the temp. recorder for weather.com then I would be concerned about the black housing on the mirror.

However, since 98% of the vehicles that I have been in have skewed temperature numbers if the vehicle has been sitting idle for any amount of time, once you begin driving your numbers should be accurate to +/- 5 degrees.

If it is that concerning, run it into the air duct vent/housing on the rear of the cab between the bed and cab or under the vent/grill immediately below your windshield wipers.

Just my .02

Last edited:

J_wings24

Observer
SWDesertTaco said:
If you're looking to be the temp. recorder for weather.com then I would be concerned about the black housing on the mirror.

However, since 98% of the vehicles that I have been in have skewed temperature numbers if the vehicle has been sitting idle for any amount of time, once you begin driving your numbers should be accurate to +/- 5 degrees.

If it is that concerning, run it into the air duct vent/housing on the rear of the cab between the bed and cab or under the vent/grill immediately below your windshield wipers.

Just my .02

Good point. I am definitely not a meteorologist. :bike_rider:
Thanks for the help!
joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333