Where to start, so many options and mods.

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
Canopy would be my vote. This was my very first mod. They are very useful. Onboard air and decent set of tires and learn the proper psi for the situation and your truck will go a lot of places.
Cameron

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The TRD-Sport should have the rear limited slip, so it'll offer you a bit better traction than the open diff but not as much in the tough spots as a differential locker.

I find the best mods aren't too the vehicle itself. I would focus on education/training/practice, a few recovery and repair tools and I like to carry supplies sufficient for an overnight (if I wasn't already planning on it). You never know when an outing will go longer than anticipated.

The tire argument depends a lot on where you go. The places I go don't require a lot of ground clearance and have fairly good traction, so any ole' tire works great for me.

dms1

Explorer
Tires and then skid plates, protect the underneath of your vehicle. Other than that most Toyota's are very capable with little to no modifications.

JLee

Adventurer
It all boils down to tires. You want bigger tires to be able to get the truck down those lonely roads. You need the suspension and gears to go with the tires and then at some point, you need more horsepower to push it all.

Need vs want
Tires = want
Everything else = need

That's great if you are going within towing distance of home, but I wouldn't want to be doing a long overland trip with a truck modded for power. I also see no reason for gears unless you're going way bigger on tires or adding a lot of weight, but I'm also running 255/75R17's - not 35's. My old 80 series on 35's armored like a light tank needed gears badly, but it was still usable.

mjohns2

Observer
Drive it stock until you find a shortcoming with it. Stock will get you most places. Lift, lockers, RTT, fridges, etc make it easier and more comfortable. You have to figure out which mods you need and which ones you don't.

Here is your answer.

River19

Observer
I've been using my 2001 tundra as my hunting rig for over a decade and it has been mostly stock with exception of better tires and some minor front shock upgrades over the years......it is very capable as it is; just don't be stupid with it.

While I would love a winch, I don't want to have to drop large coin on a bumper and then upgrade the springs to avoid the sag etc. slippery slope. Might just get a hi-lift and some recovery equipment.....for a fraction of the price I would be able to get out of hopefully anything else I could get into.

I find the best mods are the ones you really need, not the ones that a forum is hot on. For example, for me, snorkles look cool to some, but if I have to do a major water crossing deep enough to be a problem, I really ****ed up somewhere. To me it isn't needed for my rig. I drive this thing 225 miles to our cabin and 225 miles back, I need decent on road manners as well.......so that comes into play. Extra lighting is at the top of my list at this point however.....many snowy trips through the mountains with no light.....plus the damn deer and moose on the sides of the roads.

Since I hunt with my 3 bird dogs, I get more excited about gear storage and keeping the pups comfy, fed, and watered than the latest in long travel remote reservoir shocks.

Be honest with what you are going to use your rig for and build what you will use/need. But what the heck do I know, I just roll through 30-50 miles of logging roads Every weekend for 3 months......lol

keylay

Adventurer
I hear you on not knowing where to start. My first order of business on my 4Runner was sliders. They definitely help keep the rockers safe from dings. My next plan is to install FJ coils and Bilsteins for about a 2.5/1.5" lift. Followed by transmission and transfer case skids.

While bumpers, RTT, fridge, etc would be nice, i don't wheel that hard or that often. A cooler, stove and ground tent serve my purpose well. I have considered a hidden winch, but i avoid wheeling alone, so no need for a winch quite yet.

Doc_

Sammich!
You need a tube bumper so u can weld a bottle opener on it ...
IMG_3041_zps630c35ae.jpg

I ended up bolting mine to the dash, it seemed kind of dangerous to reach around to the bumper to open a beer while driving.

Joking aside, I definitely agree with the "run it 'till you find its limitations, then improve" mindset.
If I were to do any one mod sight-unseen it would be a traction aid like a limited slip or a locker depending on conditions and goals. Sliders would be #2.
As long as you have a strap, a come-along and wingmen a winch can wait, most Toyota pickups and Tacos can clear decent-sized tires just by beating down the pinch welds, fridges are neat but you can manage well with a cooler until you feel the need to step up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl