Where's all the silverado's?.......

LS1matt

I am fairly new here, I will be going to moab, Rckt MT CO, and yellowstone in a just over a month and was wondering.. Where are all the Chevy silverados!?!?! I see a lot of full size nissans, bubans, tahoes, and even F250's but rarely see any SIlverado 1500's... Lets see em.... if there are any :peepwall:

I am getting a little worried about the trip to Moab, as i have been researching most of the trails we are planning to hit. I have never driven "slick rock" or rocky terrain before. Any tips? I am going along with a few other FJ's... Hope the 1500 can "do work" or at leats hold its own without breaking!

Here are a few of mine, Since the below were taken I have added a Truxedo bed cover, NFab nerf bars, full size spare, hi lift, truck tent, few fog lights (mounted behind the grill).. MUCH MORE TO COME!

08 1500, ProComp 6" lift on PRC 35 X 12.50 X 17's Xtreme AT's

jonathon

I got a Silverado ;)

liftedsub1.jpg

Back when the name meant something more than just a truck.. it was the top of the line for 1991 :bike_rider:

Got my steelies, just need to get the tires off them and paint 'em up. Then it's off to Les Schwab for a set of 295/85R16 Hankook Dynapro's.

KEENO

Adventurer
3/4 ton

I love that Body Style! 3/4 ton to Boot!

Does yours have the Tailgate/Liftgate or the too cool Barn Doors???

I've heard that a 5.9 Cummins drops in these with Aftermarket Engine Mounts... Pretty straight forward conversion.

Clean lookin' ride Jonathon!

KEENO:)

EdoHart

Observer
I've got one, too.

From the factory, the steering is a little weak for expedition use (or just about any use past 30K miles), but the after market can fix that for a few hundred dollars. Look into Cognito pitman arm and idler arm braces.

Attachments

• 2008-11-10 15-11-25_0039s.jpg
    2008-11-10 15-11-25_0039s.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 341

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I am fairly new here, I will be going to moab, Rckt MT CO, and yellowstone in a just over a month

I am getting a little worried about the trip to Moab, as i have been researching most of the trails we are planning to hit.

Welcome to the Forum, nice truck - :beer:

Might check your dates for Yellowstone. Traditionally, the roads in the park don't open until mid-late May. There are plenty of trails around Moab to accomodate a full size Chevy. Just depends how far you intend to push it.

klmore

Adventurer
From the factory, the steering is a little weak for expedition use (or just about any use past 30K miles), but the after market can fix that for a few hundred dollars. Look into Cognito pitman arm and idler arm braces.

This is all true. My steering shaft didn't make it 20k. I replaced it with the upgraded unit. No problems since and my Burb has almost 40k on it. I also have the Cognito pitman arm set up and it really makes a difference.

jonathon

I love that Body Style! 3/4 ton to Boot!

Does yours have the Tailgate/Liftgate or the too cool Barn Doors???

I've heard that a 5.9 Cummins drops in these with Aftermarket Engine Mounts... Pretty straight forward conversion.

Clean lookin' ride Jonathon!

KEENO:)

I got barn doors :victory:

This one is kind of an odd ball.. 91 was the last year for the old body style rigs, but the first year for the 4L80E in HD applications.. OD in trany that is as strong as a TH400. The first ones had problems.. this one was replaced at the dealer in 1998 when the truck had 53k on it.

It's pretty basic right now.. 4" lift, ORD HD Greasable Shackles, ORD Steering box brace, and a B&M trany cooler. I'm going to either get new rear leafs or through a single AAL in each side, the rears are way to soft and are sagging a bit. Hopefully this year I'll be able to regear to 4.56's as well. With 33ish tires I'll be in the 350's happy zone at 65.

Zatara

Adventurer
I got a Silverado ;)

liftedsub1.jpg

Back when the name meant something more than just a truck.. it was the top of the line for 1991 :bike_rider:

Got my steelies, just need to get the tires off them and paint 'em up. Then it's off to Les Schwab for a set of 295/85R16 Hankook Dynapro's.

I like your stickers !! :sombrero:
I have a few myself.
I had a 1990 Suburban almost identical to yours which I sold to a friend who's a member here. They are great trucks.
As for there not being many "Silverados" here, most here are of the opinion that if it doesn't have a solid front axle it's just for driving on the road and maybe a careful trip down a dirt road.......maybe.
I disagree.:smiley_drive:

James86004

Expedition Leader
Here is ours:
DSCN0716.JPG

Bone stock except for removing the air dam and putting a Pace Jackrabbit bedcover on it.

The weak steering shaft, is that on the Suburban, or the recent Silverado? I have heard of them breaking on H2s before...

LS1matt

Cool to see I am not alone!! Keep 'em comin!

Anyone know of some decent front end replacement bumpers for 1500's? Most all i have found are for 2500 & 3500 HD's

Edohart:
I plan to take it easy, and feel out how the truck reacts to the trails, but I will def. look into upgrading. :victory:

Kcowyo:
Thanks, Roger that on the the dates

klmore

Adventurer
The weak steering shaft, is that on the Suburban, or the recent Silverado? I have heard of them breaking on H2s before...

The steering problem is on most 98-06 1500, 2500, Suburbans, Tahoe, Yukons, and H2's. The larger tire on the H2's show the problem much worse. GM is well aware of the problem and most dealers just grease the steering shaft until it is out of factory 3/36, although GM does have a upgraded part that solves the problem. That is what I have on my 2500 Suburban along with the Cognito steering set up.

I have heard some complaints on the current model trucks, but I think they upgraded the steering in that model.

James86004

Expedition Leader
The steering problem is on most 98-06 1500, 2500, Suburbans, Tahoe, Yukons, and H2's. The larger tire on the H2's show the problem much worse. GM is well aware of the problem and most dealers just grease the steering shaft until it is out of factory 3/36, although GM does have a upgraded part that solves the problem.
Gee, I wish I had known that before the warranty ran out last year.

What should I do to fix it?

James

Zatara

Adventurer
Gee, I wish I had known that before the warranty ran out last year.

What should I do to fix it?

James

I have the upgraded GM factory shaft and it fixed the clunking and play in the steering. Whether it will be a long term solution remains to be seen though.
If it starts clunking again I will get one of the aftermarket Borgeson shafts which will fix the problem for sure. They are what GM should have built in the first place.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I have the upgraded GM factory shaft and it fixed the clunking and play in the steering. Whether it will be a long term solution remains to be seen though.
If it starts clunking again I will get one of the aftermarket Borgeson shafts which will fix the problem for sure. They are what GM should have built in the first place.

I have 50 kilomiles on it and I have not noticed any play. Is this a play issue that slowly shows itself, or will something break when I hit a rock out in the backcountry?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater