Which gps for transworld?

40tude

Adventurer
I have used a few gps's throughout the years but don't really know too much about them. The wife and I are planning a transworld and would like to know what units we should be looking at. Ease of use and reliability would be big plusses.

gjackson

FRGS
First that springs to mind is the Garmin GPSMap 276. Unfortunately Garmin doesn't make them anymore, but IMO as a stand-alone GPS they are the top of the line.

cheers

Hawk Thor

I´d definitely recommend a large Garmin unit. There are many GPS devices that work great on major roads and in cities, but Garmin will never let you down.

40tude

Adventurer
Is there a replacement for the 276c or is that kind of like trying to buy a solid axle vehicle in the US? Is the older unit just better? How about the Hema?
thanks

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
I've been using the Garmin 376c which is essentially the same as the 276 with the addition of XM radio. I originally purchased it for dual-sport moto usage.

209890631_NFWf2-XL.jpg

You can just barely see it in the cockpit area above. It has been bullet proof!

We then mounted it in our SMB.

341984939_FsLjw-XL.jpg

With the ability to load topo maps and the routing features, it has been awesome. The only drawback, as my eyesight has that post-40-needs readers stage, the screen is somewhat small for viewing. I am also interested in recommendations for what is out there (Garmin) with similar features but with a larger screen.

40tude

Adventurer
Man this is crazy, I have been looking into these units and it is hard to figure out whether to buy a unit that is several years old or hope and pray that there is a good replacement that comes out soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal