Which has the most cargo area? 80 or 60

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I've been corrected on this numerous times by pirate & mud. The 80 series supposedly has more cargo volume than the 60 series (despite some of the various #s floating about), but I'm sure that's if you're filling it with water.

The LC60s surely have more usable cargo area.

bomar

Adventurer
I've been corrected on this numerous times by pirate & mud. The 80 series supposedly has more cargo volume than the 60 series (despite some of the various #s floating about), but I'm sure that's if you're filling it with water.

The LC60s surely have more usable cargo area.

Both sites seem to have biased opinions.

Owning both I would agree with your last statement.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Easy to say unless it has happened to you. I have a beautiful, babied FZJ80 with nearly perfect upkeep (M1 oils, rad flushes, good and appropriately-tested fuels based upon conditions) and had an HG problem. More common than you'd expect.

I wouldn't wish a blown HG on anybody. But there seems to be a hysteria about LCs and headgaskets as if it is inevitable or even likely. From what I can tell, I don't think PM has anything to do with blown headgaskets. It appears it was either a design issue or production issue. But an issue that only effects a small minority of the total. Let's say it effects 10% of the total. When looking at the overall reliability/durability of the population and the total miles driven, I would still take an FZJ80 over any other SUV. If my HG goes, I won't be happy but will will replace it and move on. And if it does go, it is likely to give me some warning and won't leave me stranded (or in need of a whole new engine) as a blown oil galley plug would.

Yes, but why turnoffs for you?
Manual Windows: For starters, I'm lazy. Second, of all the cars I've owned I've spent more time fixing manual windows than power windows. Lastly, A manual window at best is only slightly better than a broken power window :sombrero:

Manual Locks: I think this bugs me more than the windows. Unlocking the other doors requires (to say let your 4 year old in) requires walking around the car or performing yoga inside.

4 speed: If the 60 had a 5 speed this would probably not be much of an issue for me. Manual transmissions still suck in traffic, but I can at least live with depressing the clutch a few hundred times a day.

Carbs: I'm done with carbs. To their credit, it is probably easier to get a carb to work good enough to get you home. But getting a carb to work perfect requires some mastery of magic apparently. FI runs great almost all the time. Sea level, mountains, whatever. Extremely reliable IMHO.

Just my opinions. I still really liked my 60, would have preferred a 62, but think the 80 is an altogether better machine (except in style points.)

cstamm81

Adventurer
Both of these series have their quirks. I have owned a 60 and an 80 at the same time, still own the 80. I also owned a 3rd gen 4Runner. Both the 60 and the 80 will both need a lot of PM if they have been neglected. Toyota parts are not cheap, but the quality is excellent. I miss my 60, but will never give up the 80. If you have never owned a carbed vehicle before you will have to get used to that. I see your in FL though so the cold weather side of things isn't as big of a deal.
As was said above, the 80 is way more comparable to your 4runner than a 60 is. 60 owners are special, and it' sort of hard to go from a more comfortable vehicle to a less comfortable one.
Maybe I missed it buy why do you want to get rid of the 4Runner? I miss mine, and other than being a bit smaller and not having a solid front axle, I find it somewhat comparable to my 80. I feel the 4Runner was more fun to drive as well. They both seem to feel like they have the same amount of power, but the 4Runner will get at least 5 MPG better.
I'd say make sure you NEED to change vehicles. I'm always buying and selling rigs and it's almost always at a cost. Even if you don't lose money on the sale, you always lose bringing the new one up to snuff, paying taxes, inspection etc. Don't get me wrong, I love the thrill of a new rig, enough to keep buying different ones and eating the lost money.
If I were you, I would either stick with the 4Runner and add an accessory or two to breath new life into it. Or get an 80 that has verified maintenance records and factory lockers. Throw some 33" tires on the factory suspension and drive it that way. Save the suspension money for gas, you will need it.

d0ubledown

Observer
I've owned a FJ60, a FZJ80 and now a 4th Gen 4Runner like yours .... the FZJ80 is far and away a closer analogy to your 4Runner then the FJ60 in terms of comfort and a daily driver, no question in my mind. With regard to cargo size, I do believe the FJ60 beats the FZJ80, but it's not by all that much, both have a lot more then your 4Runner. In terms of power and highway driving, the FZJ80 and the 1FZ are FAR more capable then the 2f or 3FE in the 60 series, night and day in my eyes .... no the 1FZ is not "fast" by any measure, but certainly much quicker then the 3FE. I found either engine to be dead reliable and enjoyed working on both .... on the flip side, I found the 5ZE (is that right?) in my 4Runner to be a pain in the *** to work on, especially the friggin starter!! Grrr!

I agree that the 60 series is sexy as hell (although I prefer the round headlights of the FJ60 vs. FJ62) but you mentioned you would be daily driving it and I think the FZJ80 is a much better choice with that in mind. I'm actually thinking about picking up another FJ60 for weekends and whatnot ..... now that I have a 20 mpg V6 4Runner for DD duties ;)

dont listen to a word this guy says...its all rubbish :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad