Which Land Cruiser?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Landcruiser colorado in the UK = Prado....

I had this one in Colombia...3" lift and 33's, but definitely needed a re-gear the 2.7petrol didn't have the required grunt in the hills and didn't go slow enough in 4wd low.

DSC_6844_zps1035287e.jpg

The 5 door model had a bigger engine....in the EU it has a 3ltr TD with about 123bhp....later ones have the D4D and 160bhp

KiwiChick

This forum is amazing, thanks so much for all your advice and input!

I have no idea what amublance doors are :Wow1: but with "doors in the back" i meant a normal 4door car.

Hubby and I also briefly discussed the option of a Unimog, which would obviously have more creature comforts and more comfortable living arrangements for the kids. But we'll stick with the LC and roof tent plan :)

Alright, so I will try and track down a 80 or 100 series Land Cruiser in Austria or Germany. Oh and yes, we'd like a Diesel!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I would suggest a diesel troop carrier. Much better use of the interior space and all the 70 series have support anywhere (except the USA :Wow1: ). Later models are available with 3 or 4 doors but given the ages of the rug rats the 2 door is still viable.

11543027_711758602259737_947202565_o.jpg

Rumpig

Adventurer
Alright, so I will try and track down a 80 or 100 series Land Cruiser in Austria or Germany. Oh and yes, we'd like a Diesel!
if you seriously look at diesels, then go a 100 series over an 80 series or a 105 series IMHO. Unless you plan to crawl over large rocks, the 100 series will be fine for the job you want to do, they are a very capable vehicle. The 105 series has live axle front and 100 series has IFS, and they have completely different engines in them. Plenty of people here in Australia take the engines from the 100 series and put them in a 105 series, that way they have the better of the 2 engines power wise in a front live axled vehicle. Having owned a 105 series for over 8 years and toured much of Australia in it, i can say they are a great touring vehicle, but i'd have killed to have the 1HDFTE engine out of a 100 series fitted in my vehicle instead of the 1HZ that was in it. Having said that though, the 1HZ is a much simpler engine with no real electronics in it, and likely able to be repaired easier by more people in remoter areas (though the 1HDFTE is pretty bullet proof really).
Below is a pic of my 105 series and a mates 100 series, they look much the same but have different front ends, different engines, and different gear boxes for a start (though his is auto and mine a manual, but if both were manuals the boxes would be different, and mines running slightly bigger suspension lift also)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I will add my vote to the HZJ78 Troopcarrier. They are the most robust, and have the most interior space, and are easiest to convert to a camping vehicle. I own a 100 series and love it, but it is more of a short trip vehicle (Mongolia is a loooong way from anywhere!).

Your best bet is to find an example for sale from 78, 80 and 100 series and go and physically see them. You don't have to find the perfect example, just something to help you decide which series suits your needs. THEN go look for the "perfect" one from your chosen series.

Pokey

Adventurer
id say for sure Troopy or 105. 80 would be third choice due to smaller size ( less height and length) than a Troopy.

1hz is simpler than 1hdt and may have edge on durability. However with that said......id choose the LOWEST mile/km engine / vehicle of either Troopy or 105. The vehicle with best service record gets the nod in terms of durability/ reliability. An older 90s era Troopy would need to have had axles serviced and all engine svc to get a nod over a 10 yr newer 105 series imho.

Sounds like a fun trip- keep us posted and keep asking questions. lots of good info to be had here and on ih8mud.com forums with many international ppl. experienced in all things Toyota and Diesel.

One other recommendation would be to purchase it sooner than later so you can become familiar with the vehicle and build up your own service history so that going into your trip you will know exactly where your vehicle stands in terms of maintenance. it will also give you time to build it and do some test weeks with kids n gear to see what works and whats extraneous/ not needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad