Which Tacoma/Hilux?

ParaAndy

Hi everyone, sorry for such a newbie thread. Introductions first:

I'm a paraplegic following a climbing accident a few years ago but still have the adventurer spirit burning brightly and am looking into doing some overland expeditions. These expeditions are basically a way for me to get to semi-remote areas where I can then handcycle/kayak/climb/paraglide etc, I can't hike anymore so using a vehicle as a mobile base location is the way to go.

I'm ex-British Army so my heart was set on using Land Rover but I'm a convert and eventually I'd like to attempt a trip around the world and think Toyota is the way to go.

I've pretty much decided on the Tacoma/Hilux Doublecab Long Bed for the following reasons:

1. It's a Toyota :)

2. Doublecab is essential as I hope to take one or two other wheelchair users along for trips somewhat similar to what Lance is doing with Disabled Explorers. (Manual wheelchair users who are physically active and looking for biking and kayak legs along the trip, no need for a ramp or lift on the vehicle.)

3.Extra space in the bed for not just the normal equpment/supplies needed for overland but as much room as possible for wheelchairs and adaptive sports equipment. Most of this stuff isn't heavy but does take up a lot of space.

4. Power. I'll undoubtedly be pulling a trailer most of the time.

5. Auto transmission to allow for hand controls without the need for complicated hand-clutch etc.

So any pointers or considerations on a year/model taking into account the following.

1. I'm in the UK but want a lefthand drive vehicle as I will spend 99% of the time on the wrong side of the road :)

2. I'm happy to buy new if thats the best thing to do, I want the vehicle for the long term. I'm also happy to ship from the US/Canada to the UK. But I'll be stripping the rear down to the bed and rebuilding it so maybe a good second hand is a better idea?

3. I'm not expecting to be doing any rock crawling but will be doing general overland driving for long distances on all the different terrain types that brings with it. I don't think IFS is a huge concern for me, unless you prove me wrong. I'd like to upgrade the suspension/wheels without lifting the truck too high and making it more difficult for a wheelchair user to haul themsellves into.

4. I want to strip the bed down to a flatbed and then rebuild it as a storage box-body with external compartments/lockers lower down to make the contents more accesible from all sides when sitting outside the vehicle in a wheelchair. Probably with a load slider in the bed itself, so basicallt the entire rear of the truck will get stripped away, can you buy them new like this?

5. I'd like a full length roof rack that extends over the cab to give as much storage space as possible. I notice most people don't do this as you need to drill into the body, I'm not bothered by that as long as it doesn't cause any problems, does it?

I think that's most of it for now, looking forward to some good times on expo and hopefully adding my own Tacoma build thread to list of amazing trucks around here!

- Andy

fooman

Hi Andy,
I own a 2005 current model Hilux Vigo Doublecab with a 2.5 diesel.

Tacoma vs Hilux. Tacomas are essentially North American? Hilux, pretty much every where else in the world.

The rear seats are now a lot more comfortable compared to the previous models. There's more space and the seats are higher.

The bed length is pretty much the same as before. With the longer cab, the new Hilux has a substantially longer wheelbase compared to previous models. Nonetheless, the bed is only 1520mm x 1515mm x 450mm. Not an issue as you'll be rebuilding the back. Not sure if you can buy it without the bed, but in Australia, the basic workmate bed is an option.

If diesel, go for the 3 liter, the 2.5 is underpowered.

You can buy them from Thailand, where they're made.
http://www.sonirodban.com/

ParaAndy

Thanks fooman,

The workmate bed sounds like a good idea, anyone know if it's available as an option on new sales in Europe/North America.

I think getting a custom rear body fabricated is my ideal, had a look around online and my imagination went into overdrive when I found these guys:

http://www.3wtruckandequipment.com/

I know Tacoma/Hilux/Vigo are just different names for the same vehicle but wondered if there was a particular year or version thats seen as being better or with advantages over others.

ParaAndy

I hear lots of horror stories from overlanders about the computer technology in newer versions leaving people stranded at the side of the road or in 'limp home' mode and unable to fault-find or fic problems in the middle of nowhere without a dealership diagnostic computer.

I want to somehow find a middle ground between good old fashioned mechanical reliability in the older versions of the Hilux and the 'it's got less than 200,000 on the clock" benifits of newer models.

Any other advice floating around?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3