Who uses a hammock?

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i have found that i like to slep sideways in a hammock, you'll need a wide hammock, but you can roll over and sleep on your side or even belly when you lay sideways.

Tmcgahe2

I've been hammock camping for the past four years in a Hennessey Hammock. I'm an avid kayaker and space in a kayak is quite limited which led me to opt for a hammock over a tent. Nothing beats a hammock in the summer Georgia heat. I've slept comfortably in my hammock in temps down to 35. Just requires a higher quality sleeping bag. I move around quite a bit in my sleep and have never felt constricted by my hammock. I always got back pain from sleeping on the ground, probably due to a poor sleeping pad, but I have never experienced back pain from sleeping in a hammock. I can't recommend hammock sleeping highly enough. I will never sleep on the ground again.
HH.jpg

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
As I mentioned it takes a couple nights and then you are set in a hammock for life... I've slept through freezing temps as well with a sleeping bag...

opie

Explorer
I've been hammock camping for the past four years in a Hennessey Hammock. I'm an avid kayaker and space in a kayak is quite limited which led me to opt for a hammock over a tent. Nothing beats a hammock in the summer Georgia heat. I've slept comfortably in my hammock in temps down to 35. Just requires a higher quality sleeping bag. I move around quite a bit in my sleep and have never felt constricted by my hammock. I always got back pain from sleeping on the ground, probably due to a poor sleeping pad, but I have never experienced back pain from sleeping in a hammock. I can't recommend hammock sleeping highly enough. I will never sleep on the ground again.
HH.jpg

Im stoked about getting it...should be here tomorrow or Friday.

Ive been thinking about making up something that slides in the hitch so Ill ever only need 1 tree, or a sign!

double moo

Adventurer
My brother swears by his Hennessy Hammock. For colder nights he puts his thermarest pad inside. Otherwise the company company does make an insulation system that hangs under the hammock right up against the material. Use their "snake skins" to stow it away for packing and it's a slick system. I spoke to the rep at the Outdoor Retailers show last month - they do work out group buys if enough are interested.

opie

Explorer
Hoping we will be able to get out late March, Early April for our first trip. I look forward to trying out the new ENO Double nest.

Im going to weld up something so I can do what Tmcgahe2 has done. Use my truck as one of the anchor points. Ive got some 2x tubing left from a trailer project that should work perfectly.

opie

Explorer
Well...I got my "fake tree" made up.

DSCF4307.jpg

DSCF4308.jpg

DSCF4309.jpg

Laying in the hammock is so comfortable. I can easily see being able to get a very good nights sleep in it. I thought I had some pics of the entire set-up, but I guess the batteries in the camera crapped out.

HrznChaser

Best brand

It sounds like there are several good brands (Henessey,Eaglesnest, Clark, etc.) The Clarks look great but seem expensive. Any recommendations for a good set up with netting and fly for under $100?

AlabamaWill

Observer
I own a Clarks and ENO, I find that the Clarks to be complicated to set up and I dont like the way it feels against my skin so I need to have a sleeping bag in the Clarks hammock, but still a great hammock. The ENO is the one that I use the most, I love it. As far as bug net go with ENO bug net.

Blain

Adventurer
ENO user here.

I use it all the time except during winter. Super comfy. Single nest, tree straps, and eno Tarp. Nice and lightweight.

Does take a few tries getting the set up down pretty good. May wake up with you butt a few inches from the ground when you started a few feet. Just trial and error.

I'm 6'4" and fit just fine in the single nest, with plenty of room left over. One thing I will suggest is putting something under your knees if you like to sleep on your back.
First couple times I slept with just a sleeping bag, and woke up with some sore knees the following morning. Can either put it in the sleeping bag (clothes, towel, socks. Which will keep them warm til morning) or under the bag. Extra pillow, or cushion.

Can't wait for it to warm up so I can use it again!

From last summer
IMGP2101.jpg

The hammock is under the tarp, it's almost resting against the top of it. Once I get in and situated it sinks down to a comfortable and still covered level.

Last edited:

F-BIG50 Crew

+1 for the ENO hammocks. I use a double nest with my thermarest inside. It will almost close over you if you are solo. For foul weather, I add a tarp. You can save some weight by using accessory cord and wire gate carabiners instead of the slap straps. Ditch the heavy 'biners and cord and rethread the hammock with the lighter/ stronger stuff. I quit using a tent when backpacking unless the family is with me.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'll preface this by saying I really like the guys at ENO. They're all super nice young guys doing a great job to bring quality products to the market.

For you hammock lovers, you might look into the ENO Ember under quilt. It's amazing and adds more warmth than you can imagine for it's svelte weight and packed size.

Great stuff.

By the way, our store can't keep that stuff in stock. We must have sold a dozen Doublenests in December alone. It's really catching on.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Latest issue of Popular Mechanics shows a neat idea for a DIY freestanding hammock stand...Here's a picture of the article. Here is a video of something similar, only difference being the one in the magazine uses ratchet straps instead of cord.

If you don't mind carrying around 3 poles, this setup could break down fairly compact. Kinda neat.

JackW

Explorer
I still use a couple of woven cotton hammocks I bought from a vendor on the beach at Mazatlan Mexico almost 40 years ago. They are the "matrimonial" size so you sleep at a 45 degree angle to the length of the hammock and lie flat. I sleep on my side and its no problem - very comfortable and restful sleep. I use a couple of motorcycle tie down straps around some trees to be able to adjust length/height above the ground. A tarp on a piece of parachute cord provides plenty of shelter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal