Why aren't popup's more popular?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
much like small tear drop trailers aren't very popular either, the general Joe camper basically wants all the creature comforts of home, like microwaves, TV's etc etc.. trailer camping used to be a working mans pastime, where the point was to g.t.f.o. and away from "civilization" and reconnect with friends and family. Nowadays it seems that they all cater to folks with huge disposable income, who can drop 50k on a tow rig and 100k on a 38' 5th wheel and "camp" in a campground with a rec room and wifi internet, and avoid actual interaction.. that being said, smallish trailers that offer only shelter and few creature comforts have gone the way of the dodo..

Workin family here. We camp in the wilderness not in a park. We want to get away from everyone and enjoy family time, and quiet evenings around the campfire listening to nature. We do have some creature comforts, wireless, generator to charge the batteries, but we are not around everyone from town. Exactly what we are looking for!

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
much like small tear drop trailers aren't very popular either, the general Joe camper basically wants all the creature comforts of home, like microwaves, TV's etc etc.. trailer camping used to be a working mans pastime, where the point was to g.t.f.o. and away from "civilization" and reconnect with friends and family. Nowadays it seems that they all cater to folks with huge disposable income, who can drop 50k on a tow rig and 100k on a 38' 5th wheel and "camp" in a campground with a rec room and wifi internet, and avoid actual interaction.. that being said, smallish trailers that offer only shelter and few creature comforts have gone the way of the dodo..

You forgot marbled bathroom floors and cork counters..:ylsmoke:

man, do I agree with this.

Some of the best trips we ever had to date don't revolve around a large camper with maximum amenities..

SnowDozerCJ5

not all pups are the same

Our 2001 coleman westlake is 19' hitch to bumper 7'6" wide and well over 2000 lbs empty it takes 45 min to setup and 30 to close solo. Pulled onroad only, by an 05 equinox. The wife and I used to borrow the in laws 87 coleman which Is half the length and it took a little more cussing with. if I were still single today I would make a high rise camper shell for my m416 add a 4x6 platform with futon mattress, cut the tailgate and add bed slides. Pulled by my CJ5. Anything farther Into the brush and I might as well get a m170 and use the stretcher.
A popup is great for a new family basecamp. A teardrop is good for those that don't need extra beds.

Last edited:

ljkup

Adventurer
Great thread. I spent over a year debating which pop up would allow the flexibility of primitive camping on moderate jeep trails and providing comfort for my wife, 100lb dog and I. Looked at old apaches, coleman colorados, and newer evolution models. Fortunately, I happened across what I think is the best option, a Cub Camper Kamparoo Weekender. Small and lightweight enough for a compact SUV but rugged enough to take on moderate trails. Ours is equipped with on board water, kitchen slide and propane mount which is great to run a small heater for cold nights.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1449975699074.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1449975699074.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 81

Gootjr

Observer
1968 Apache Pop up

This is a great thread, I have a 1968 Apache Eagle that is a all aluminum body with two double beds that are 7' long. The interior height is 7' in the center, it also has a great folding cabinet in the inside. The trailer was a California trailer with only 2 owners, it was stored in the garage when not being used. The canvas is original and in great condition. It has a complete new frame and air bag suspension as well as swing out tire carrier, removeable step,roof racks,20 gal water tank with faucet,tool box and a propane tank. This trailer is almost finished and just needs to be taken apart for powder coat. When it's finished it will be for sale if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 88

Bill Barlow

M101A3 with Popup camper

I installed a Skamper 60S popup camper on a M101A3. The campers C/G lined up with the trailer C/G. I've pulled this off road in Baja and California with no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 66

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach