Why aren't ute or tray back style campers more prevalent in the US?

haven

Expedition Leader
I think the answer is to look at the pickups/utes sold in Australia vs USA. Most Australian Utes are midsize trucks, with tray to give extra utility. In USA, most every personally owned pickup, large or small, has a bed with sides and a tailgate. So manufacturers in the respective countries build campers to fit trucks that most of their customers already drive.

As we in USA begin to grasp the utility of the flatbed on the midsize pickup, manufacturers are responding. Flatbed campers are offered by several USA firms, including Northstar, Four Wheel Campers, Phoenix, and ATC. XPCamper started with flat bed models for large pickups, and now is expanding to slide-in models.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Pricing is based on the cost of living and the costs of materials. Remember everything that is built in Australia supports the level of vacation time etc built into the labor overhead.

An example of the higher cost of living is a JKU sport in AUS = $44k AUD ($34k USD) in the USA = $27k. Fuel AUS today in Sydney $5.40 AUD ($4.18 USD ) per U.S. Gallon. Up the road here in AZ under $2.70

Australia average wage for full time workers is $72k per year. In the USA for 2014 it was $42k per year.

I could go on with a heap more facts because this has been part of our calculations in deciding that the USA is the best place in the world for us to live. But I think I can summarize by saying the prices in AUS are not out of line with the income/cost of living. Where it gets to be a shock is when you want to cross borders/currencies.

I also think you could safely bet that if the guys in AUS could get American pickups and campers at the same % of income that you can in the USA then you would see a lot more of them there.

On the build versus buy question. I build or repurpose my vehicles. But I am not doing it to save money. The only way you really save money building your own is to not cost in anything for your own time (sweatquity). I do it because I can get what I want and I am lucky enough to have the skills/time to do it.

dman93

Adventurer
Without being ethnocentric or political, it is interesting how vehicle type popularity varies by country. U.S. and Thailand have many pickups; China has more small cabover flat beds (tray backs) and Western Europe typically favors vans for much light commercial work. I just returned from a vacation in Turkey and it's amazing what rural farmers and construction workers haul in a Fiat station wagon or Ford Transit Connect. Where pickups are popular in parts of Europe or Asia, they're usually "compact" (eg Hilux, Ranger or Nissan or Mitsubishi equivalent) with quad cab and short beds, which aren't as suitable for slide-in campers. As others have said, it's just the type of local vehicles that in turn drives the type of camper body that's popular

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
In 1979 I spent four months surfing in NSW and Queensland. No FM radio,no ATM's,no traffic outside of Sydney or Surfer's Paradise. $45/week camping in the campgrounds. King of the road then was the F-100. They had 4wd Ford Rancheros which I still have a photo of. Petrol was $1.68 Imperial gallon. Aside from steaks and prawns most commodities were higher there understandably. Very unique country with controlled immigration like New Zealand. It's paid off.

Flatbed are also not "cool" in the us, just like diesels. So because the culture here has a harder time embracing these things and seeing the common sense and practicality of them, large companies and manufacturers will stay with what the mainstream consumer will buy. Those of us who want/need the extra utiity out of the back of our trucks can just pay for it at a premium.

Flatbed are also not "cool" in the us, just like diesels. So because the culture here has a harder time embracing these things and seeing the common sense and practicality of them, large companies and manufacturers will stay with what the mainstream consumer will buy. Those of us who want/need the extra utiity out of the back of our trucks can just pay for it at a premium.

Oh man, I have a flatbed diesel.

craig333

Expedition Leader

One of the biggest issues with the US is the insane mad rush to get out of town on weeks that have a national holiday because its easier to add a couple of days vacation to a national holiday than it is to just take 5 strait days off work etc. American's are LOUSY at taking vacation![/QUOTE]

I'd say we're lousy at getting vacation time. Many places just don't offer it. Then places like mine just ban taking vacation during the busy season, which of course is exactly when I want to go.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Just my two cents.-- I'm a middle aged family man with a flat bed camper and this is why.
Initially I owned a Tiger, which is basically a truck with an attached camper making it a motorhome.
I really enjoyed my Tiger when I was using it. When I wasn't, it became an impractical toy that just sat around.
As a "motorhome" I paid higher taxes and insurance. And did I mention it sits around when not camping. To me that
was too much in a single designated vehicle.
Enter the flat bed. It gives me just as much interior space if not more and is detachable so my truck can be a truck.
I pay no taxes on the camper since its not a motorhome and insurance is considerably less. I figure the flat bed gives me
the best of both worlds.
The only additional costs for my build was the aluminum flatbed and boxes which I had custom made and the pass through from
camper to truck. The pop up slide out design gives minimum footprint for traveling and spacious interior for camping.
I have found the truck to be very versatile with a flat bed. If I need it to be more "bed like", I can add sides. If I need more storage,
I can add a cargo carrier. With nothing back there the truck is actually lighter and gets better mpg's. While its a diesel and not a "coal roller"
I average around 19 to 24mpg without the camper. With the camper it drops to around 12 to 14. She's not broke in yet so I'm hoping those
numbers will go up.
Prices for trucks will no doubt vary. From what I've seen, flatbed campers start around 20K.

We "my family of 4" recently returned from a 12 day camping trip. Over 6000 miles and 19 states. We saw PLENTY of campers, so I don't think
vacation time plays into this equation. To me, I think its more education and of course preference.
One of the coolest things I like about our flat bed camper aside from its practical truck usage is the transformation from truck to overland vehicle.
It truly is two vehicles in one.

Some pics;
013.jpg
014.jpg
024.jpg049.jpg

Nice Rig!

Just my two cents.-- I'm a middle aged family man with a flat bed camper and this is why.
Initially I owned a Tiger, which is basically a truck with an attached camper making it a motorhome.
I really enjoyed my Tiger when I was using it. When I wasn't, it became an impractical toy that just sat around.
As a "motorhome" I paid higher taxes and insurance. And did I mention it sits around when not camping. To me that
was too much in a single designated vehicle.
Enter the flat bed. It gives me just as much interior space if not more and is detachable so my truck can be a truck.
I pay no taxes on the camper since its not a motorhome and insurance is considerably less. I figure the flat bed gives me
the best of both worlds.
The only additional costs for my build was the aluminum flatbed and boxes which I had custom made and the pass through from
camper to truck. The pop up slide out design gives minimum footprint for traveling and spacious interior for camping.
I have found the truck to be very versatile with a flat bed. If I need it to be more "bed like", I can add sides. If I need more storage,
I can add a cargo carrier. With nothing back there the truck is actually lighter and gets better mpg's. While its a diesel and not a "coal roller"
I average around 19 to 24mpg without the camper. With the camper it drops to around 12 to 14. She's not broke in yet so I'm hoping those
numbers will go up.
Prices for trucks will no doubt vary. From what I've seen, flatbed campers start around 20K.

We "my family of 4" recently returned from a 12 day camping trip. Over 6000 miles and 19 states. We saw PLENTY of campers, so I don't think
vacation time plays into this equation. To me, I think its more education and of course preference.
One of the coolest things I like about our flat bed camper aside from its practical truck usage is the transformation from truck to overland vehicle.
It truly is two vehicles in one.

Some pics;
View attachment 292655
View attachment 292656
View attachment 292658View attachment 292661

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Sample Pics . .

:)

Attachments

• four wheel campers flat bed fleet model australia 2.jpg
    four wheel campers flat bed fleet model australia 2.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 54
  • four wheel campers flat bed fleet model australia 3.jpg
    four wheel campers flat bed fleet model australia 3.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 53

doctorit

Adventurer
Stan just proved it again - the Aussies make the best ute trays! Great looking rig there!

Every time I see the flat bed FWC, I want to love it, but that tiered cabover is so, well, unattractive (sorry)! Is there a good reason for it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal