Why can't I get a Land Cruiser out of my head..?

Clutch

<---Pass
You need to go test drive one, and not around the block....Any of your buddies' dads have one you could borrow for a day?

That is one of the ways to know for sure. Heck I went through a phase when I wanted to sell my Taco and get a Suby Outback, rented one for two weeks..and boy I was sick of that car pretty quick.

In the end though, the are just machines...if you buy a LC...you might like it, you might not...can always sell it and get something else or another DC Taco.

haddix

Adventurer
I agree about test driving one. I actually just said that earlier today to my gf but I don't know anyone who has one I could drive around for a day. Wish I did, that would easily settle my curiosity.

Anyone around the Lexington KY area with a 100 series cruiser that I could test drive?
I'll buy you a beer.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
If you are looking for a 100 series, try a higher end used car lot, if you leave your truck, they will usually let you take it on errands.... I once looked at a used Jeep, a bare bones one, and the used dealer handed me the keys and said come back before 6pm.... smart move on his part, I loved the top off, so I bought my FJ40 ; )

To your question, I doubt at 21, I would trade my DC Taco for an 80 series..... too much maintenance on a truck you don't know. I do like a gas and go truck. I would feel better in a 100 series for that reason, but that is me. I hate wrenching all day when I could be doing something fun with family or friends.... now on a slow day, I can curse all day as I break parts.... I mean wrench on a play truck.

You guys don't have a problem. The "problem" starts when you have an 80/100 and then start looking for a 40/55/60. Ask me how I know... :sombrero:

I have a problem because now I really want a 55 but will probably get a 60 just because there easier to find. But got the bug for the 55 when looking for an 80.

ExpoGeorgia

Observer
I love my FZJ80, stock with 233,000 miles (and currently for sale so I can get an LX450)! Go with the solid axle.. more articulation, more durable and robust than IFS. Mantaining one of these isn't as expensive as everyone is making it unless you buy one that hasnt been properly taken care of. I bought mine for $300, put in new rear end, full tune up and filter/fluid change, and changed the phh (pesky heater hose) and I've had no issues the last 5,000 miles. Offroad capabilities are amazing, I've taken her on trails and hills people said I couldn't do with a large 4x4 (the torque curve on this thing is crazy on hills, especially in 4low). These we're $40-50,000 trucks when they came out but they are the most capable, reliable, and solid (not to mention best looking) 4x4 suv's ever!s.jpg555835_3004056239173_947375721_n.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
(not to mention best looking) 4x4 suv's ever!

LOL, I dunno 'bout that. I think the 80 is one of the worse looking Toyotas ever made...(flame suit on!) :snorkel:

Haddix: Also think about the pickup verses wagon. It is nice to have the storage space sealed off from the passenger cabin. It is all personal preference, we own both a pick-up and a SUV, I don't really care for the SUV...good thing, it is my better half's rig, and I don't have to drive it much.

brentbba

Explorer
To the OP here - I have to agree with Jay and to my own conservative fatherly side with two kids in your age range. As a 21 year old in college, keep the Taco. Gas alone with an 80/100 will kill what budget you do have. I agree with other comments that a well maintained cruiser 'may not' cost as much as is being said for maintenance, but remember, these were not cheap trucks when new ($46K for mine back in '94) and parts are not cheap from Toyota. One major repair like the front knuckles will run you some major $$ and a head gasket is worse. Basic fluids, etc. not at all.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
is the fuel cost of a Tacoma/4runner 4x4 vs 100 really that big of a difference?
I'm really considering selling my 100 soon, and trying to decide on either a 4runner or a car..

Flagster

Expedition Leader
is the fuel cost of a Tacoma/4runner 4x4 vs 100 really that big of a difference?
I'm really considering selling my 100 soon, and trying to decide on either a 4runner or a car..

My 2005 Tacoma gets 17-20
My 1995 LC80 gets 12-13 same as my FJ60 before I tore out the motor...

50% better is pretty significant to me...howerver the mileage isn't what keeps me from taking the cruiser on longer trips...it's the lack of power...It's fine on the flat highway but pulling long grades at 7000ft here in N AZ it struggles...
I think the best argument for a 100 is the V8...would love to have that motor in my 60 series

Box Rocket

I have both an 80 and a Tacoma. Given you're circumstances I would keep the Tacoma for sure if I were in your shoes.

Howski

I haven't owned either of these trucks but getting one with worse mpg will not help out at all as a college student. Gas cost wasn't really a burden when I first got my Discovery but as gas got (much) more expensive and mpg got worse with mods, it put a hit on my wallet.

xCSx

Adventurer
Too bad we can't get diesel LC 70s!

Nicest SUV there is in production today with decent MPG!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater