Why do my interior lights pulse like a disco ball gone bad?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Okay guys, I replaced the alternator back in November 2014 per the recommendations of this thread, and the issue seemed to have gone away for a bit, then it resumed. So I replaced the alternator again in March 2015. Now it's reoccurring. This is crazy. I can't keep replacing alternators every 6 months. Well, I can, but I shouldn't have to. Clearly this is a bandaid for something more significant, and I think maybe I found it. But I'm an idiot when it comes to mechanical things, and particularly with electrical things, so let me report my findings and see what you guys think.

1. Battery with engine off: 12.75 volts
2. Battery with engine at low idle: 14.7 or so (fluctuates a fair amount between 14.2 and 14.8). Similar readings at high load (all lights, radio, ac on)
3. Battery tested at Sears, OKAY.
4. Alternator pulled, tested at Autozone, OKAY. Ran test 4 times, all OKAY
5. Alternator tested in car, under load by Sears, tested OKAY
6. As an experiment, pulled positive battery lead off terminal while engine was running. Voltage dropped to 13.75 rock steady, no flucuations. Interior lights stopped doing the disco fever thing. Everything was perfect, car ran great, all electrical readings totally solid.
7. Thinking that perhaps battery was bad after all, I swapped in new battery from another vehicle, no change, all disco fever symptoms remain.
8. Car dies a few hours after experiment. Won't idle, stalls at low idle. I later read on web that I might have nuked my ECU by running it without the battery in the loop.
9. Next day (today) take it to a local guy who says removing the battery terminal while running is really, REALLY bad, and probably just need to let the car idle for a while so that the ECU can remap it and learn how to keep the engine running again. (?)
10. Local guy connects a clamp thing to the positive lead and read amps off the alternator (bench tests only read voltage apparently). Amp readings all over the place. Positive 25 and negative 6 amps, fluctuating amperage is bad he says. Probably a bad alternator he says.

Now, it's possible I have been lucky enough to have 4 bad alternators in a row, but I suspect not. So I did some more digging. Found two helpful links about alternator circuit testing:
- http://www.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htm
- https://youtu.be/LGB6ZEjGm7Q

CRITICAL FACT: Instead of .2 volts, I am reading 14.x volts positive between the alternator housing and the positive battery terminal. When I read from the alternator output stud connection on back of alternator, and positive battery post when the engine is running, I get an odd negative 20 millivolts.

When i did the negative side ground circuit test, I got a similar high reading of -12.x volts, not the expected .2 volts or less.

Theory:
Do I have a bad cable from the alternator to the positive battery post? I ran an impedance (ohms) test on the cable and its 3.9ohms, and I get a tiny 3 to 4 millivolts with the engine off. This bewilders me. I don't know enough to connect the dots and figure out what's wrong.

Also, I checked impedance from negative terminal to ground post on fender, and its 0.0000, and between positive and negative terminal posts its O.L (totally open between posts, no connection)

I think my battery fine. I think my alternator is good. I think I have totally and utterly failed the Voltage drop test between alternator and battery, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

It appears that replacing that cable might require pulling the entire engine out.

Last edited:

Jaiso

Having a similar issue with my 94 SR, dash/dome lights flicker even off idle. Alternator was replaced about a year ago and has fewer than 20 hours of operating time on it. I've checked the ground terminals/wires and they seem OK.

Nathan. Forget removing the battery to alternator cable. For now get a 0-1 guage cable and run from the batt to alt. you can either disconnect the old one, or leave it. If this fixes your problem, reroute the new cable as best you can without it getting in the way of anything.

CJ3B

Observer
THAT right there is your problem. I had the same issue, got an Autozone alternator due to a quick emergency repair needed, and in less than a year it was doing the same crap.

Buy original, or have it repaired/rebuilt in a reputable shop with better/higher output.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Well, I might have solved it. With all the twerking around with the battery, my terminal connectors were getting pretty thrashed, so I bought some decent quality replacement terminal connectors, remade the wire connections, wire brushed the negative posts at the fender, and cleaned all the add-on connectors on the positive post, including the factory ABS relay connector, and wouldn't you know it? All my symptoms went away! Solid steady interior lights, steady idle, etc.... I haven't put the multimeter on it yet,but I'm going to go drive around it around and see if I truly did something useful instead of cosmetic, which was my actual intent :)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Well, it's not 100% solved. Still stalls at low speed idle. How do I change the idle speed?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Glad to see you found the problem. I had a similar issue and replaced all the cables with quality oversized pieces with good weather sealed connections

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Well, the disco fever is back. I really don't understand what's causing this. However, I took apart the throttle body and idle air control motor today and cleaned them up nice and proper, and that seems to have helped the idle issue. It doesn't stall anymore!

It still idles a bit low, and I haven't figured out how to actually adjust the idle, so I need to sort that out at some point. For now I'll just keep the AC on which boosts the idle speed up to 700 or so.

ThrottleBody.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Okay, on page 13-49A in the Factory Service manual, there is a very cryptic illustration of where the idle speed screw is. Have I identified it in this marked up photo below?

FSM illustration:
FSM-Idle-Speed.jpg

What I think this means:
Idle_Speed-Screw.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 11.22.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 11.22.17 PM.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Answered my own question! Yes, the screw under that cap adjusts the idle speed. I have it right at about 750 now on baseline idle. Way better than the 400 or so it was struggling to maintain previously. Hopefully my neighbors don't mind me messing around with the RPM's at 11:30 at night :)

PacS14

Adventurer
When I replaced my alternator I had the same symptoms for a while, specially if I turned off the ac while at a stop. I'm guessing the ecu had to re learn the maps and stuff or something because it went away on its own. When I cleaned my battery posts the same thing happened and again after some driving around things got fixed on their own. It only happened whenever I disconnect the battery. So just take it for a drive with the ac on until it re learns how to maintain the idle.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My disco fever issues persist, and now one of my headlights has gone dim....not out, just dim. I replaced the bulb, but the new one demonstrates the exact same level of dimness, so it has to be electrical issues. So frustrating. A decent service shop told me my alternator is failing again, cranking out over 15 volts within 2 minutes of start up. That would be my 5th or 6th alternator in less than a year. What is frying the voltage regulators in this system?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal