Why LR4 over L322

JPorter

So I'm looking at getting another Land Rover I had a 99 Disco 1 SD. I've been looking at 06 and later L322s RR but no one seems to be off-roading with them am I missing something? Why does everyone seem to run LR3s & 4s? I get that the turn radius and departure angle aren't as good but that never stopped classic RRs

dsliver

I asked the same question in January. Purchased a 2007 HSE L322 with 60k miles. Ordered 18" Range Rover wheels from England. Iid tool to raise it 2". Safety Devices expedition roof rack. That is about it for aftermarket support. Someone please manufacture rock sliders. Unstoppable off-road. Believe it has better ground clearance than a LR3-4.

Ray_G

Explorer
Several threads going on that discuss this; the D3/4 is usually cheaper to get into, cheaper to modify, and more utilitarian. Far more aftermarket support and the fact that a larger community is wheeling them means that when something goes wrong the support network (actual or virtual) is larger. That said I don't think anyone would deny that L322's are quite capable off road, price points are lowering, and if guys like you don't start wheeling them then nobody is going to have aftermarket support for them. Fabrication may be the best route but in truth I think dsilver has about hit what is needed beyond sliders, perhaps some skids underneath, and a winch.
r-
Ray

99Discovery

Adventurer
Yup. Give it time. I'll be in the L322 scene in a few years, prices are still a bit steep for me for Jag-engined RRs. I'm already doing my research and preparing what mods need to happen. The only thing that will probably stop me is utter personal financial collapse or if Fiat makes the Jeep Africa and/or Land Rover brings us a sweet and affordable Defender. Those are the only things that'd probably stop me at this point.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Second one of these threads in 2 days. I guess we're starting to hit fever pitch on the L322.

I guess someone is going to have to start fabbing up some sliders. Maybe steal the designs from the G4:

pLvNr6ul.jpg

Pff3XpKl.jpg

PQU0h5Al.jpg

ok7k06Pl.jpg

99Discovery

Adventurer
I had forgotten about the G4. A G4 setup with a more aggressive front bumper would probably be all the L322 needs.

Although aren't the airlines below those huge skids/sliders? I've heard it makes trail repairs a pain in the rear.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I support all of the above. I bought one for my wife (2012 HSE) but it will also be used for mild back country camping trips.

JPorter

I like the tailgate and the interior on the L322 better than the LR4. I'm just going to have to fabricate bumpers and a decent rack.

KyleT

Explorer
3rd row, lr3/4. Don't need that, L322 all the way. Much more vehicle for the money.

In 2002 Land Rover took several L322 on the rubicon and did fairly well. Mostly stock with Armor, winches and rear bumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwestpro

Explorer
3rd row, lr3/4. Don't need that, L322 all the way. Much more vehicle for the money.

In 2002 Land Rover took several L322 on the rubicon and did fairly well. Mostly stock with Armor, winches and rear bumpers.

"3rd row" is irrelevant to me. The LR3/4 have roughly 30% more interior volume. It's especially huge when all seats are removed. In the RR you basically are required to remove the 2nd row to get any sort of functional cargo space. Removing the 2nd and 3rd row in LR3/4 yields a mega interior while dropping the weight by over 200 lbs which just increases the usable payload.

While driving the RR is really very very enjoyable, the practicality is just too different. This is from experience, not just armchair musings...I already tried a new RRSC and sold it within a year to go with the LR3 instead.

Now, while the current LWB would be trickier on trails, that extra space would be awesome and the whole touring build could be fun with the TDV6 and 8 spd under the bonnet.

spikemd

Explorer
L322- more luxurious, better ride, more amenities, limited aftermarket support
LR3 - more practical, more cargo room, more aftermarket support, 3rd row, can be picked up for less than $15k
LR4 - same as LR3, but nicer interior, more amenities, more expensive

For my family, we need a 3rd row. I have grown to love our LR3 and it did amazing in Moab last month when my P38 was getting a new head gasket. If money is no object, get as new L322 as you can. If you want to do some serious offroading, get a 2008/9 LR3 with the lowest mileage and spend money on building it up with sliders/rack/skids/wheels and tires. If you don't plan on any serious trails, go with the L322. I was amazed at what the supercharged RR Sport (same platform a Lr3/4 but different body) did in Moab with just good tires and Johnson rods, but the cargo space of LR3/4 seems like twice that of a Sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven