Why Mitsubishi for a year in Mexico? Other options?

Eric M

Adventurer
Oh man that was a great looking truck, I wouldn't have even worried about the bumper side wings or the fog lights. Still you might be better off since we now know the Gen 3s get more love in Mexico, not to mention their other benefits.

grox

Observer
I know, I loved that 2.5 and it was really hard to walk away. But you need to trust your instincts... and this is my reward. 2002 Montero XLS, original owner, 148k, all service records, timing belt @ 110k, runs/drives perfect, interior spotless, exterior has a few bumps and bruises, need to replace brake accumulator (chirp!). Tan clothe seats and no sunroof like I wanted. $3800 and it was local. I'm excited and happy with my choice.

00303_3Ug6bi9CiIs_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

grox

Observer

Dr Gonzo

FWIW I just replaced mine. Things I learned: There are two models of accummulators, the black one pictured and a larger bronze colored one. They appear to be interchangeable but I'm not 100% sure if there is some internal/functional difference. When I ordered mine, the larger bronze one arrived. That one needs a special tool because it does not have the nut on top. I used a filter wrench, but somehow tore up the O-ring. So, while I still have no idea how I damaged the O-ring, you should somehow be careful not to :sombrero: otherwise you get a nice high pressure fountain of brake fluid all over your engine compartment.

Once I changed that, the chirp is gone and brakes are fine as before.

Dr Gonzo

BTW, if you haven't already, you may want to visit mitsubishilinks.com. It has a PDF of the factory service manual, it's for the 2003, but a lot of things apply to all of the third gen. Very valuable reference info IMO.

grox

Observer
Thanks Dr. Gonzo. I'll check the link.

Install of the new accumulator was a piece of cake. Followed the online directions. It took about 5 minutes total. No more chirp, and brakes works great.

I was hoping fixing the brakes would turn off the "Service Engine Soon" light. I reset it, but it came back on. Anyone know about a fixing a P0446 EVAP code?

I put on a new gas cap, and checked the emissions system but couldn't find anything obvious like a cracked vacuum hose. Going to the shop on Wednesday.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach