Why not in USA? Australian Style Folding Camper Trailers - Front, Rear, Side folding - Hard floor, Soft Floor

chet6.7

Explorer
This speaks volumes to Australia vs USA gun laws.
Security in the USA demands solid walls.
Even if neither stops bullets.
I doesn't have anything to do with gun laws.The discussion was about bears,Aus doesn't have any large predators,I don't think an Aliner would stop a bear,but you would know if was trying to get in and have plenty of time to act if need be.
I suspect an Aliner would be easier to keep warm in cold weather VS a fabric camper/trailer.

DCH109

Adventurer
Normal pop up tent trailers have existed in North America for many years. All we are looking at here is a smaller off road version. Bears are bears and if they want in they will get in.
Tent camping in a campground (depending where it is) is not any better. Back country camping in a RTT or off road tent trailer is no different in this case. Depending on where you go, there are bears.
I can think of places I have camped in the US and Canada with Tents, RTT and even in a slide in camper, where bears live. I take caution to make sure that everything is secure and bear proof as much as possible. You have to know the areas you are camping in and the dangers.

As for the PO's comment on why there is not more of these type of trailers, I predict we will see more in the years to come. Traditionally there has not been a real need for this type of popup. Just drive across the US and you will see that for every 1 off road camper, trailer or vehicle with a RTT there are 50-100 units built (onroad popups, travel trailers etc) that will never go past a dirt trail. While more people are getting out there and exploring, they are starting off with RTT's. From there they are going to off road trailers with a RTT and you will soon see them looking for an unit like a popup trailer that can go off road.
Then there is the price, most of these cost much more then a comparable non off road popup. This for some people makes it hard to justify and end up with a smaller unit and a RTT.
Teardrops are also out there and some are built for off road.

I am in the latter 2 kids, wife etc. I do not want a motorhome, travel trailer or a slide in camper, I want it to fit in my garage.

Last edited:

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback so far.

I suppose security could be a part of it, but an awful lot of people camp in tents, right? Maybe once they start paying a lot more for their camping accommodations, they desire more security to come along with the expenditure. I get that, my expectations certainly go up as the price increases.

I think there's no debating that hard sides feel more secure and comfortable in many ways, but it's just not possible to have a small traveling rig and a large camp setup with hard sides.

Currently i use an old 1980s palomino pop up trailer. I must admit, there is something nice about having the hard portion of the ceiling. I'm very frustrated with the setup/breakdown time though and I don't think i'd have any regrets about trading the hard ceiling away in favor of quicker operation.

Interesting to consider that the explosion of RTT sales may translate to larger camper sales a few years down the road (trail?). I am shocked at the popularity of RTTs based on my personal evaluation of the utility they provide (or lack thereof) for the costs. I'd never have predicted their success, wow was i wrong.

Grassland

I was also wondering about forward or rear fold Aussie style units.
I think it comes down to price for the US.
In Canada even the shitbox staple and caulk specials are 20+ grand depending where you live, but most Americans speak of paying 9-12k for the "off road" pop ups from Thor/Forest River. (I was quoted 22k for a V-trec locally and 23k for an ESP by another, I have to either import from US or drive 20 hours east towards Toronto to do better, and even then it's 16-17k)
The forward and rear fold canvass units from down under don't look any quicker for set up than a traditional pop up trailer, especially once you want to put the awning up.
I was a bit interested in them because they are possibly built a lot better. Ie not a couple stapled 1x1s and particle board with a few beads of caulking. Many of these Aussie ones show independent trailing arm suspension with shocks, brakes, etc. Spot for a 12 v fridge rather than the gas absorption fridge etc.

bearman512

Adventurer
Coachman/Viking build the Express 180. It is small but is easily towable in some of the crazy places we take our rigs. I am about to get a 2017 model.
20180130_121536.jpg
20170525_143208.jpg

Mr.Cade

This might be a stupid question, but you guys seem really knowledgeable on the subject so :
Can someone explain the point of putting Mud terrain / All terrain tires on a tent trailer?
I don't understand how the extra traction helps, when you don't have a drive train behind it. What an I not seeing here?

Stupid friends are worse than smart enemies.

TBKCO

This might be a stupid question, but you guys seem really knowledgeable on the subject so :
Can someone explain the point of putting Mud terrain / All terrain tires on a tent trailer?
I don't understand how the extra traction helps, when you don't have a drive train behind it. What an I not seeing here?

Ground clearance comes from tire size, so a bigger tire means the axel is higher, allowing you better angles and more ability to get over obstacles. As for the tread, the benefit is so that it has less likelihood to slip sideways when angled on wet surfaces. Think if you are angled left/right in mud or slippery rocks, having better tires helps if only just a little. If you look at the non-offroad versions, typically the tires are set for gas mileage and tend to be small in diameter, skinny and without tread, thus more likely to sink in mud, slide on the trail, and have lower ground clearance over obstacles. Also offroad tires tend to be a bit more puncture resistant. My trailer also has electric brakes that sync with the vehicle, so if I'm coming up or down a muddy trail, it's nice that both my truck and the trailer have traction to stop. Having a truck stopped but the trailer sliding forward or sideways would be bad.

I don't think it has to be the world's best offroad tire, but I can see how there are benefits.

Mr.Cade

Ground clearance comes from tire size, so a bigger tire means the axel is higher, allowing you better angles and more ability to get over obstacles. As for the tread, the benefit is so that it has less likelihood to slip sideways when angled on wet surfaces. Think if you are angled left/right in mud or slippery rocks, having better tires helps if only just a little. If you look at the non-offroad versions, typically the tires are set for gas mileage and tend to be small in diameter, skinny and without tread, thus more likely to sink in mud, slide on the trail, and have lower ground clearance over obstacles. Also offroad tires tend to be a bit more puncture resistant. My trailer also has electric brakes that sync with the vehicle, so if I'm coming up or down a muddy trail, it's nice that both my truck and the trailer have traction to stop. Having a truck stopped but the trailer sliding forward or sideways would be bad.

I don't think it has to be the world's best offroad tire, but I can see how there are benefits.
Thanks.
That actually makes perfect sense.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
They're coming, expect to see another 3-4 brands by next year.

Just an FYI the Rear folds always have issues and most companies over there are trying to phase them out.

jwiereng

Just an FYI the Rear folds always have issues and most companies over there are trying to phase them out.

Please elaborate on the issues that rear folds always have. I am not well acquainted with trailers of that type.

Last edited:

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Yes I'm curious about those issues also.

@bearman512 thanks for the heads up on the Viking model. I wasn't aware of that one. I want something like that on top of a cargo/kitchen trailer the way many folks put a rtt on top of the trailer.

TBKCO

Viking also sells a small trailer in this vein that is similar called the Coachmen Clipper or Viking Express.

There is a video on it here: http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/2...ot-the-coachmen-clipper-viking-express-9-0td/

Also, the one I see that is really lightweight and easy to tow behind a midsize vehicle would be the SylvanSport Go. They are pretty configurable, and are basically a tent on wheels with racks and storage options. I've been inside these and they are roomy enough.

https://www.sylvansport.com/

billiebob

Purely ego.

There is not a single performance reason to do it. Unsprung weight / Sprung weight. That ratio is what determines how smooth anything with a suspension rides. I run the factory 205/75R15 trailer tires. They follow my TJR everywhere. Some guys like to just carry 1 spare, but a 205/75R15 fits anywhere. Which means you have 2 spares.

35s on a 6' trailer let you be part of the club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater