Why not Kamp-Rite Tent on a Roof Rack?

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Forgive me if this has been discussed in detail before but has anyone bought a 2 person Cot-Tent (about $250 online) and used it on an existing roof rack? Seems to me it offers a reasonable sleeping platform for a lot less money than other RTT, in some cases one could buy 4-8 Cot-tents with fly for the price of an RRT?
Pros, Cons?
Seems to me if one could secure the Tent-Cot properly and build a ladder to the Roof Rack the savings would be great?
Since most trips are relatively short a few weeks, the Cot-Tent looks like it would work for most people. Additionally, the roof rack could still be used to carry other gear?

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
I use a TentCot double and love it. I like the advantage of being up off the mud, sand or tree roots. I like that they have screened doors/windows on all four sides for cross venting in any direction. They are very resistant to high winds. I don't like that it is sort of bulky when folded.

Why in the world would you want to use it on top of your vehicle? RTTs are on top of vehicles because they are way too big and bulky for any other placement. They are several orders more bulky than a TentCot double. The disadvantage of a RTT is they raise the vehicle's CG and lower it's MPG. You also must take care to park in a fairly level attitude for a comforting sleep.

If you use a TentCot on the ground, your camp set up is more flexible. You aren't tied to the exact spot your rig is parked. If you want to set up a couple of hundred feet away from the parking in order to wake to a beautiful sunrise, you can. I see zero advantage to mounting TentCot on top of your truck. It seems like you are negating the TentCot advantages and adopting the RTT's negatives.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Why in the world would you want to use it on top of your vehicle?

I thought one of the "advantages" to a roof top tent was that it offered a bit more "protection" from 4 legged creatures and creepy crawlers? I don't know, I have never used a roof tent but if I had to choose between an encounter with a bear on the ground or 6 ft up on a roof, I'd take the roof.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Thanks

Thanks for the posts! I appreciate the info. I currently live in Equatorial Guinea, West Africa, home to Black and Green Mamba Snakes. My job takes me to the jungle and I do see snakes from time to time, that's what got me thinking about tents, safety and the cost of RTT.
Again Thanks!

nakman

..Seems to me if one could secure the Tent-Cot properly and build a ladder to the Roof Rack the savings would be great?
Since most trips are relatively short a few weeks, the Cot-Tent looks like it would work for most people. Additionally, the roof rack could still be used to carry other gear?

I think if you're into it, go for it. It's a good entry way into a real RTT if you think you want to get one, plus you'd still have the tent cot. RTT's have several advantages besides animals, IMO they're downright comfy to sleep in and they're fast to set up. Also cumbersome as hell, and heavy.. anyone considering a RTT should go read Kurt's article again. http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=70805

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
This is my plan too. I'm finishing up the decking and hope to post up some photos soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman