Why roof top tents?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I'd like to hear from some owners as to what are the pros and cons of vehicle top tents. I've never used one. I'm guessing they would be great for very wet areas but would seem to be heavier and smaller than a conventional tent?

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Pro is ease of setup, space and fantastic sleeping pad.

Con is weight and profile (strong winds really slow you down).

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Here is why I have one:
  • Quick and easy set up... open and done!
  • No sleeping pad... has them built in
  • Durability and Quality... for the price of a quality tent that will last, the Rooftop tents are just slightly higher.
  • Dont not have to wory about poles or stakes, ground cover, or the forgotten hammer.
  • Space- Can leave the bags and pillows in it and pack it up, and has the built in sleeping pad and allows for a payload of other things.
  • Comfort - way more comfort than a gropund tent
  • Off the Ground- My wife likes it because she doesn't have to worry about criters and creatures

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
They can be deployed relatively quickly, easily, on any terrain keeping occupants high and dry, and comfortable on-the go, usually with a built-in mattress. They ensure you'll have a comfortable sleeping platform when you don't know where you're going to end up at the end of the day.

Its all about convenience imo. I use a ground tent and air mattress that takes roughly an hour to 1) find a spot, 2) set up tent, 3) inflate air mattress. Of course it could take hours to find a suitable campsite if you don't know where you're going. You go with an RTT, and you 1) park, 2) unfold tent.

An RTT might be inconvenient if you're camping at a fixed location, and driving during the day - only to return to the same location each night. In which case you'd have to fold it up every day. Its a trade off, but one can get around it by putting the RTT on a camping trailer and have the best of both worlds.

Depends on what you do too - if you just go four-wheeling, then I don't think you'd want to lug around a RTT, nor raise your cog with that kind of thing. But if you do alot of overlanding, and cover alot of ground, an RTT makes all the sense in the world.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Cause they are the Shiznit !!
PA030551.jpg

Aaron

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yeah, it's not that they are the end all, be all. But, I like having my 'Nest (which I'll lump with RTT because I /think/ the reasoning is the same) mostly because of ease of set up. I pull into a spot and get the truck level, unfold and there you go. No worries about mud, snow, rocks, whatever might be there. If you can drive there, you will sleep in comfort. If it rains, there is no river running through your camp.

Skillet

Adventurer
slooowr6 said:
OT,
Would you mind share where is that beach??

Pic #1 = San Carlos / Sonora, MX
Pic #2 = Desemboque South / Sonora, MX
Pic #3 = Death Valley NP @ 9000 feet.

:beer:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
For all the reasons listed above by other members. Oh and cause i can't stand setting up ground tents. The only drawback is getting down in the middle of the night.. but you get used to that quick.

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:
For all the reasons listed above by other members. Oh and cause i can't stand setting up ground tents. The only drawback is getting down in the middle of the night.. but you get used to that quick.

People have asked me this. I look at them like well then maybe a roof tent isn't a good fit for you in the event you own one and somehow manage to forget your 8' of the ground,,, serves you right I guess. Someone else asked what if you have to go to the bath room well for the men in this forum the answer is simple just stand there, for the women I'll ask my wife...... oh she says you have to get down.

Aaron

pwc

Explorer
Just when I was going to say "please don't bring up the 'going to the bathroom in rooftents' thread again...." :)

ZooJunkie

Explorer
what happens when your truck isn't on level ground? Does it shake around a lot when you're up there? On most RVs, they have jack stands underneath their RVs when they are parked. Wouldn't the same hold true for these rooftop tent set ups? That's an awful lot of weight up there that will make your truck top heavy when there's a cross wind or when someone is restless in bed.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
ZooJunkie said:
what happens when your truck isn't on level ground?
I keep some lumber with me, a few 4x4s, a few 2x4s, that I can stack to level the truck (they also work as wheel chocks, bumpers for recovery, lots of stuff). If the ground is so far off level that they don't work, I'll park with a wheel on a rock or dead fall to level the truck. If it's even worse, I'll just keep driving... As far as shaking, my WilderNest has two outrigger poles that keep you from getting seasick. Most people think they are supports, but they are just anti-sway poles. But, yes, you do get a /little/ rocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach