Wife thinks I should build more of these?

05ruby

I almost built something like yours but, just like camping in a tent. Great trailers Bob.
Great looking trailer, very strong for sure.

Be leary of taking these guys to seriously. There are not that many buyers out there. A lot of talkers and opinion givers, but stepping up to the counter and dropping the money, not so much. Most on this site build their own. Don't quit your day job yet.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest and most trail
worthy Off Road Tear Drop made.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Looks nice- but only you can put a price to a product- remembering all the extra overheads, the design looks to have many pieces

as a labor of love - ie a lovely trailer for you its awsome

To turn it into a competive priced design only you can decide that...

ie materials
time
electric
gas
garage rent
liability insurance
registering as a trailer builder
insuring its to US / DOT standard
etc etc etc

What seems like a great idea and price down the road may look slightly diferent

Build a few for friends - try and get your real costs down accurately then see if its a viable project

Good luck !

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The quickest way to ruin a good hobby is to turn it into a business.

Don't over think it this early in the game. Its easy to turn a profit when you don't have "real" overhead (building rent, electricity, phone lines, office equipment, insurance, inventory carrying costs, tax, etc), so if you want to earn a few bucks working out of your garage - I say go for it. I think it's a fantastic way to earn a few bucks while doing something you enjoy.

Just be wary of jumping into it with both feet (IE: quitting your day job, building a bunch of inventory, etc) - the market just isn't that great (as others have eluded to).

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
There is a market for these trailers.
Price and quality are the deciding factors for me.
I am cheap and a REUSER. My builds start fom other
trailers and are adapted to my uses and needs.

I collect toy trains, I buy and sell at shows and on Ebay. Family and friends have told me I should open a shop up.
Well after hearing how others have done that and the fun was gone and they no longer enjoy the trains they LOVED at one time.
I voted no to opening a train shop.

So many times dreams become burdens when they come true.
Build a couple on the side for people and sell them. You can work on your time and still have fun.

Last edited:

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
Looks nice- but only you can put a price to a product- remembering all the extra overheads, the design looks to have many pieces

as a labor of love - ie a lovely trailer for you its awsome

To turn it into a competive priced design only you can decide that...

ie materials
time
electric
gas
garage rent
liability insurance
registering as a trailer builder
insuring its to US / DOT standard
etc etc etc

What seems like a great idea and price down the road may look slightly diferent

Build a few for friends - try and get your real costs down accurately then see if its a viable project

Good luck !

That's probably the best advice. Especially in regards to liability insurance, my policy is $4800 a year. I'm hoping to find a company that specializes in trailer insurance rather than a national general liability carrier, and cut that price down.

I know from my experience, it cost me twice what I thought and twice as long to start Manley ORV. But any way you cut it, this business is more about passion than business opportunity; I'm sure any of the trailer builders can attest to that. There are much easier and quicker ways to make serious money!!!!!

Good luck with the venture, whatever you decide it's going to be. You may find that building a few trailers a year making an extra $10K to pay for tow rig mods and have time to use the awesome trailer you built... is closer to your "dream" than selling 50 trailers a year making $10K in true profit after paying employees, building space, insurance, working 60 hours a week with no time to go camping! That's a really fine line.

-Josh

05ruby

I,ve been a building contractor for 8 years and know all about the costs and heartbreaks. Just thinking of building afew on the side. Had to give up all my toys and playing before and, never again will I do that. Life for me now is all about mama and my 2 boys.
I have to say, I really like this site! We were on a trip and passing through Prescott looking for a store when a guy helped us find it. He told me about this site and been poking around here ever since. Have to say thanks to him! Love that its not full of haters! Hope to meet many of you fellow members someday.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
OUCH !!!

Maybe when it cools off we can do a little wheeling... I'm down in Indio...
Head east & south most of the time... nothing tooo serious, just want to get out & unwind...

Curt

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Nice looking trailer. California isn't really friendly to stating a small business is it? Good luck with your build plans. I hope that some folks will want to you to fab them a trailer or two (or several).

05ruby

OUCH !!!

Maybe when it cools off we can do a little wheeling... I'm down in Indio...
Head east & south most of the time... nothing tooo serious, just want to get out & unwind...

Curt

For sure Curt. Gonna try and go to borregofest in oct. We are planning a trip on Nov 9/12. Maybe from chiraco north and end in Blythe. Want to check out all camps from pattons military days. We will camp in a differant place fri/sat/sun head home on monday. Anyone is welcome. The more kids the better.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
10-4... I think that's my sons B-Day weekend so I'll have to play it by ear...
Palen Pass... a few years back... between Hwy.177 & Midland
14t5t94.jpg

Stacked pill box...
zyhv8w.jpg

Poured pill box...
2n7419u.jpg

Good luck with heal'n...
Curt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member