Wildernest campers and water proofing

austintaco

Explorer
Thanks to a heads up from a fellow member, I might be buying a Wildernest for my truck bed trailer. It will be a 4 hour drive, one way to buy it, but the price is right. However, the current owner stated that the tent is faded and it leaks.

From searching on here, I found that the material used is urethane backed nylon. Can this material be treated to increase its water resistance? I found this product on a google search:
http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Armor-Fabric-Waterproofing-Spray/dp/B002WLN6YW

However, my guess is that it won't allow the material to breathe.

What have the experiences been on here? Can you revitalize an older Wildernest tent?

Flingshot

I have a new to me Wildernest that I am cleaning and going through some of the same things.
Mine was so dirty and mildew ridden that a few people told me that it was beyond repair.
It seemed that when I would clean it, more and more of the coating would peel off.
The good news is that the tent looks and smells much better.
I wondered why I can't just seal the seams and spray the tent with some camp dry type product.
I guess I can always throw a tarp over it if it rains.
I am taking it camping for 3 nights this weekend. I was thinking about spraying it down before I leave.

I'd be interested in what others say.

Scott

austintaco

Explorer
I just found out that the wildernest that I was considering does not have a window at the front. The owner used a boot to connect the camper window opening to his truck's rear sliding window. I planned to put this on a truck bed trailer, so that won't work for me.

I think I am going to pass on this one.

jsmarine

Adventurer
I just found out that the wildernest that I was considering does not have a window at the front. The owner used a boot to connect the camper window opening to his truck's rear sliding window. I planned to put this on a truck bed trailer, so that won't work for me.

I think I am going to pass on this one.

Could you just put in a piece of plexi-glass and seal it up with some silicone adhesive? May not look the best, but for a cheap Wildernest tent topper it could work.

Also, I would bet you could clean the tent really good and apply a sealant of some kind. I think that Aqua Armor stuff looks like it may work: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WLR8DM...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002WLR8DM

austintaco

Explorer
Could you just put in a piece of plexi-glass and seal it up with some silicone adhesive? May not look the best, but for a cheap Wildernest tent topper it could work.

Also, I would bet you could clean the tent really good and apply a sealant of some kind. I think that Aqua Armor stuff looks like it may work: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WLR8DM...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002WLR8DM

Plexiglass would work, but the more I thought about it, though it would be cool, I would be just towing around my tent. My truck pulls the trailer easily, but if I added the weight of the Wildernest plus all of our camping gear and two dogs, I would be having a tough time.

I will probably regret passing on it, but I think I would end up just selling it down the road.

austintaco

Explorer
I decided to go ahead and get the wildernest! I should have it next weekend and I will post up some pics with it mounted afterward. I started thinking about the front window and I thought that I might try and install a small RV type A/C instead of finding a replacement.

austintaco

Explorer
Ta-dah!

We rolled back into Austin last night. Long weekend. 5 hours to Wichita Falls for some beers and a hundred miles of riding, a night out in Dallas with some more brews, and then 2 hours to Paris and 5 hours back to Austin with the nest.

photo-22.jpg

The dimensions are perfect, but the hatch won't close on the bed unless I set it back to clear the tailgate lip. I will figure something out on that.

The front window still has about 80% of the bolt threads to replace the window with another slider. I just have to find the right size.

Inside, it will need some work, but he had all of the parts including curtains and storage nets.

When I set it up to start cleaning, I will take some more pictures and post them.

austintaco

Explorer
I started cleaning her up yesterday. The good thing about the drought we are having is that its letting the tent air out while I am washing it in stages. I thought about taking it off the camper to wash, but it really wasn't that bad. It has mildew stains, but the coating is still intact for the most part. I have found areas that must have been cleaned with a bleach at some point. There are a few holes in the screen netting and one hole in the tent, but overall, its not too bad. After cleaning, I will be re sealing it and looking for a rain fly system.

ff46a1ed.jpg

I first cleaned it with Nicwax inside and out. Today, I am spraying and sponging on Mirazyme for the mildew, and then following up with a solution of lemon juice and salt.

I figured out how to solve the hatch issue. I am just going to cut an inch off of the metal bottom piece of the hatch lid and then add a rubber flap to help with keeping out the elements.

Have not found a front window solution yet.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Has anyone tried that "Flex Seal" stuff they advertise on TV? They sprayed a screen door in the bottom of a boat and had it floating.... If it works, an initial interior (or exterior) spray might work and then cover it. Liquid rubber I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online