Wildernest Spare Parts Info

outdoordrea

Next question is about the 8" x 2" pieces of metal (steel?) for support between the shell and the truck rail (for bolting on purposes). How far apart would you propose that the two bolt holes be from each other and the front and back of the truck bed? I have some 3/8" bolts with washers and locking nuts that are 2-3/4" long. Are these sufficient?

This is going to be fun.

Last edited:

outdoordrea

adrenaline503 said:
I have had to trim that metal "flap" on the bottom to clear my Nissan tailgate.

Are you talking about the metal flange at the bottom of the door (the piece where the rubber flap is attached in my photos)? How much did you trim it? And what did you use to trim it?

snowgeek

outdoordrea

OK. So I got my Nest bolted onto my truck and the door closes much easier. Next step is to "bend the metal flange" for a tighter seal. Thanks all!

outdoordrea

I just opened up my Wildernest tent this morning, and I realize that I'm missing several items (and the tent is in bad shape, too, but that's for another day):

the V shaped aluminum brackets are missing
The fiberglass wands for shaping the tent
the outrigger poles (the organizer is still there, however)

Can someone measure the V shaped aluminum brackets so that I can find something that will work in their place? Will someone else measure the fiberglass wands and give me an idea on how long they need to be? ***Never mind on the fiberglass wands, I found the answer in another post.

I think I'll need a whole new tent made, so that's my next hurdle...

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

outdoordrea

Rear window flange

I ended up removing the bottom part of the rear window in order to bend the flange without breaking the glass. It was a bit of a bear getting the window reseated inside the rubber gasket, but in the end it turned out great.

grambo71

Replacement springs?

Hey folks, spring is here and I'm really looking forward to spending some more time in the 'nest. Only problem is that last time I closed the nest the other day, the rear assist spring broke.:mad: The top doesn't want to close without it!
Besides a custom machine shop, does anyone have any ideas on where to get one? Nonprophet and DaveInDenver seem quite knowledgeable- hopefully they've got an answer. Anyone else???
Also, not sure if anyone has seen this recently: http://www.wildernestcamper.com/

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Those torsion springs break sometimes. It happened to me a few years ago once, just the way it is with springs. You can reduce the chance by lightly lubricating the sleeves that the springs ride in. If those bind up, the spring doesn't move easily and you can break the legs off. But sometimes they just fatigue and break, just the nature of things mechanical.

If you can find a custom spring shop where you live, they can be made up pretty easily since they are not anything unique or special. It would help if you could the old in as a template for dimensions and all that. It's important to notice that the front and rear springs are not the same.

I don't have my notebook here at work, but I want to say the place here in Denver that I had them made is AAA Coil Spring. I'll check to see what contact info I wrote down and get back to you. But I just opened the yellow pages and started calling places. Try custom springs shops, places that make custom car springs, etc. For example, there is a place here in town called Denver Spring and Suspension, they make custom coil and leaf springs, places like that might be able to do it.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
FWIW, the place that has made them here in Denver is:

AAAA Specialty, Inc. (in the Yellow Pages, they seem to now be AAAA Coil Spring Manufacturing, Inc.)
3030 Huron St.
Denver, CO 80202
303-296-1288

It cost about $130 to have 3 sets made.

I should note that they do not stock WilderNest parts, they are custom spring manufacturer who made extra sets from the old ones as patterns. So you can't call them to order parts. But I could look into having some spares made from my last set of springs and let you know what it would cost.

grambo71

broken spring

DaveInDenver,
Thanks for the great information as usual. I was quoted about $120 to make one spring here in Reno (the "how bad do you need this?" kind of price)!. That sounds like a lot more than $130 for 3 sets! Do you have a spare set that you could take to them to use as a pattern? As I said, the top doesn't quite want to close properly now and I'm a bit nervous driving it around for fear of having the top swing open suddenly on the road.
If I correctly understand what you're offering, I would be very grateful if you could get the shop you used at that price to manufacture a replacement for the broken rear one and a spare set just in case they break again in the future. I could call them and take care of payment. My 'nest is a 1989 model- not sure if spring dimensions could have changed from earlier to later years? If that's a possibility, I could send in both my springs and have replacements made.
As I said, if you could look into it, I'd be eternally thankful!!!

bowserbloom

wildernest back glass door-for shortbed toyota

I have a wildernest that fits my toyota 1992 short bed truck. I am missing the back door. Is there a pre existing door from another shell that will fit? thanks.

TyTyCascadia

Trying to restart and add to this old thread. I bought a Wildernest about a year ago and drove from Eugene, OR to Boise, ID to pick it up. I've put a lot of work into it and have really enjoyed camping out of it.

I recently replaced the bulb seal. I tried one off of Amazon that had been recommended and the bulb wasn't big enough, so returned it and found the correct size from McMaster-Carr and ordered 23 feet. $4.44 per foot Came out to $120 with shipping: https://www.mcmaster.com/1120A451/
Item Name: Water- and Weather-Resistant Rubber Push-on Seal with Bulb on Side, Hollow, for 1/16" Edge, 1" High.

I mounted the Wildernest to my 2004 Tacoma bed using truck tool box mounts I found on Amazon.

I also found a mattress that fits the 6’ Wildernest. It’s an IKEA twin sized “Minnesund” and costs $79. It’s foam and very comfortable. Length: 74 3/8 " Width: 38 1/4 " Thickness: 3 7/8 "

I also replaced the missing glass window screens using fiberglass screen and 0.120 size screen spline.

I applied polymat / trunk liner to the interior fiberglass of my Wildernest using spray adhesive. This cuts down on condensation, looks better, and allows for items with the hook side of velcro to be attached to it. See photos of results.

Attachments

• 343133190_189216800692263_7143669621999329263_n.jpg
    343133190_189216800692263_7143669621999329263_n.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 344769661_996995061428710_8098401940756742259_n.jpg
    344769661_996995061428710_8098401940756742259_n.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 3

DocMoose

Trying to restart and add to this old thread. I bought a Wildernest about a year ago and drove from Eugene, OR to Boise, ID to pick it up. I've put a lot of work into it and have really enjoyed camping out of it.

I recently replaced the bulb seal. I tried one off of Amazon that had been recommended and the bulb wasn't big enough, so returned it and found the correct size from McMaster-Carr and ordered 23 feet. $4.44 per foot Came out to $120 with shipping: https://www.mcmaster.com/1120A451/
Item Name: Water- and Weather-Resistant Rubber Push-on Seal with Bulb on Side, Hollow, for 1/16" Edge, 1" High.

I mounted the Wildernest to my 2004 Tacoma bed using truck tool box mounts I found on Amazon.

I also found a mattress that fits the 6’ Wildernest. It’s an IKEA twin sized “Minnesund” and costs $79. It’s foam and very comfortable. Length: 74 3/8 " Width: 38 1/4 " Thickness: 3 7/8 "

I also replaced the missing glass window screens using fiberglass screen and 0.120 size screen spline.

I applied polymat / trunk liner to the interior fiberglass of my Wildernest using spray adhesive. This cuts down on condensation, looks better, and allows for items with the hook side of velcro to be attached to it. See photos of results.
I just started restoring a 6.5'. Looking for a rear spring if anyone has one. I like the polymat on the interior, I think I'll be doing the same to mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz